Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i guess there must be quite a few three year old Amperas around now. Mine reaches its third birthday next week, so I'm booked in for service and MOT on Monday.

It's only done 15k miles, so not expecting any serious problems.

Just wondering if anyone has had any MOT failures on their Ampera, and if so, how old was the car, what did it fail on and what did it cost to repair it?

Might be interesting to compile a list of failures to see if there are any common problems.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Mine's up later this year for its MOT. Will be interesting to see the exhaust readout :D:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
If yours is still on the original michelin tires tyres check them carefully there are various threads on problems with these due to ageing.

(edit)oops mine were tired out :notworthy:

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,469 Posts
Pure coincidence. In response to the OP I was simply saying 'Tyres!'.

:LOL: Your literary guilt is exposed!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
It appears to be a batch issue - I've replaced mine at 20K with plenty of tread remaining but ageing / degradation cracks. Last time I saw this was on my fathers Astra 15+ year old low mileage tired tyres not probably 4/5 year year old ones (its a 64plate on a my13 Ampera)
see this thread Factory fitted Michelins falling apart
The tyres need checking over that's all. I do not think the Volts were affected?

(edit) Checked the spelling

·
24,469 Posts
Past an MOT last year with zero issues though :confused:
MoTs don't test for age, funnily enough, nor can they test internal condition. You can have an ancient tyre with multiple corroded interior plies, you can have cracks all over them (so long as they don't reach the carcass) you might find your car drifts oddly, or corners badly, or rides bumps badly, and blame it on all sorts of other things because the tyres 'pass the MoT'.

The law allows you to continue using your tyres. Nothing I can say or do to stop you, go right ahead. But 5 year old tyres are not to be trusted, and especially not the batch of Michelins that were put on OE Amperas.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Mine failed the 4yr (2nd) MOT on handbrake (non) performance. Turned out one of the 2 cables was sticky and needed freeing & greasing. Cost was minimal. But I believe someone else has had a more serious and costly handbrake failure, maybe not at MOT time tho?

·
Registered
182 Posts
1st MOT advisories only driver strut top mount movement and chip on the windscreen...
No failures though
2nd MOT they did not pick up the driver side strut top mount but I had it replaced anyway as it annoyed me. lol . Still the chip on the windscreent.
Still No failures

:)

@Spiny Now regarding the emissions test ... I am assuming you are joking lol ... I assume everyone knows that Hybrids/Plug ins do not go through emission tests what so ever.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Seriously - you should look at getting rid of those, then. What DOT code is on them?
I had my mechanic friend go over the car before the MoT, I made a point of asking him to inspect the tyres. He told me they are good for at least another year and no reason to change them. But I still check them weekly. Is the weakness on the walls or is it that the treat wears down quickly, anything special that I should look for?

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I had my mechanic friend go over the car before the MoT, I made a point of asking him to inspect the tyres. He told me they are good for at least another year and no reason to change them. But I still check them weekly. Is the weakness on the walls or is it that the treat wears down quickly, anything special that I should look for?
Mine were perished and had numerous minor cracks around the outside circumference when two years old and 11,000 miles.
This year and 25,000 miles, a service noted that the tread was peeling/breaking away down to the carcass.
A prior MOT noted nothing amiss and I also keep a reasonably regular eye on the tyres myself.

The peeling tread must have happened over a short time and my spirited driving may have increased the rate of failure allied with the huge torque these cars have.
Then again I didn't spare the BM M3 I used to have which was floored occasionally when I could afford it! :rolleyes:(y)
Its tyres wore like crazy but never shredded.

IMHO, the Michelins should have been recalled as a bad batch/design but they seem to have got away scott free!
That is why I am on Goodyears as I changed all four, well before the rears needed it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Car passed its mot but with advisory about tyres beginning to crack and perish, so I guess another set of tyres will be required before next mot.

I also was emailed a CitNOW video which showed the wear on the tyres which seems to be mainly n the inside.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I had my 4th year service and MOT at Bellinger last week. The only issue was that one tyre failed on the sidewall degradation and the other three were going the same way so I replaced all four. Mileage is 22k and there was 5-6 mm tread remaining so not great. I only saw Jamie McW post after the MOT. I have messaged him to see what he says. I also separately got in contact with Michelin customer service who said take the tyres into a euromaster depot and register a complaint but of course this advice was too late. I got back in touch with Bellinger and Alan in the service dept was v helpful he went to look but the old tyres had been taken away. Probably best to chalk that one up to experience! I'm on Avon's now so will see how they go....
Actually another thing on the report was corrosion on a brake union which I intend to get under the car have a look and if I can have a go with a wire brush and grease . Anyone else seen any such corrosion worth noting?

·
24,469 Posts
My local station is always going on about brake unions! I just get under the car once a year and smear grease all over them. To be fair, the Espace is definitely showing some corroded brake unions after 16 years, I guess I should think about replacing them sometime. But a bit of grease and they look fine then! :LOL:

Really, on a 4 year old car, corroded brake parts. Bad.!... I'll probably swap out the rear discs this year (bought the parts, £50 for discs plus pads) and I'll be taking a look myself!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts