Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Another Motability customer thinking of changing to electric next month, October 2021, but not sure how the installation of a charge point at home works. Do you get to choose which company you go with, Pod Point or BP Pulse? Is one better than the other? Did you get the installation done in time for handover? Are you happy with Motability and their input??

Sorry to have so many questions!

All the best from SW Scotland.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This thread has some other Motobility customers' experiences of BP Pulse -

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi all,

Another Motability customer thinking of changing to electric next month, October 2021, but not sure how the installation of a charge point at home works. Do you get to choose which company you go with, Pod Point or BP Pulse? Is one better than the other? Did you get the installation done in time for handover? Are you happy with Motability and their input??

Check out Right Charge. Their website will help you pick the right charger for you and - perhaps more crucially - an installer with a good reputation.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This thread has some other Motobility customers' experiences of BP Pulse -

Hi, thanks for that, BP don't seem to get a good write up.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi all,

If you want to avoid BP Pulse, you will need to order a car made by the Stellantis/PSA group. You’ll get a Pod Point instead. So that’s Vauxhall, Citroen, Peugeot, and DS.

What car are you looking at right now? You may be looking at a very long wait for a car depending on what you’re hoping for.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, I am looking at the eC4, Kona electric and the VW d3. Next quarter starting tomorrow is my price list and November is when I can order. Although I don't know why I can't place it earlier to give Motability some breathing space.

I have seen some shocking reviews of the BP customer care which puts me off Pulse. Am I right to be concerned?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
What car are you looking at right now? You may be looking at a very long wait for a car depending on what you’re hoping for.
Just done a tour of the garages: Q4 eTron 9-12 months, Enyaq about 6 months. Of course, dealers have cars coming in all the time, so you may be able to pick up something coming into dealer stock.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi, I am looking at the eC4, Kona electric and the VW d3. Next quarter starting tomorrow is my price list and November is when I can order. Although I don't know why I can't place it earlier to give Motability some breathing space.

I have seen some shocking reviews of the BP customer care which puts me off Pulse. Am I right to be concerned?
Yes I would say it's valid to be concerned. BP Pulse are useless and don't really care if you have problems or not.

I appreciate you can't order right now, but if you placed an order today this would be the wait:

The Kona you're looking at mid January for a 64kWh model and would get a BP Charger.
The ID.3 You're looking at just after Easter for most models and would get a BP Charger.
The Citroen C4 you could probably get just before Christmas if ordering right now, and would get a Pod Point charger. There's also a healthy amount of stock going around the dealers so if you aren't picky you could potentially drive away after only a 4 day wait if they had something you liked.

BP have no real idea what's going on in terms of installation. Pod Point you're looking at say 4-6 weeks for an average install if there's nothing major to hold you up like electrical upgrades, permissions etc.

The C4 is definitely the better choice for short waits and avoiding BP Pulse. BUT you need to make sure the car is good enough for your needs. Compared to the ID.3 and Kona you are going to get significantly less range out of this car, especially as we go into the winter months. Since you clearly have the ability to charge at home this generally shouldn't be a concern. But in terms of trips longer than 100 miles between charges, would you be doing these very often?

If you need the extra range, or want loads of gadgets and features then the Kona is probably the way to go. Especially the 'Ultimate' trim model which if you're lucky might even be returning to the previous £499 advance payment rather than the current £999. I've heard a few rumors of this but would have to wait and see what happens tomorrow when it's published.

If you try calling Motability you might be able to get them to agree to enabling your account for a new order early, if you have a long enough benefit entitlement, and if the dealer is in agreement and can guarantee to Motability that the delivery won't be taking place before the end date of your current lease. Some customer care agents are happy to authorise this. Others will just leave you to wait it out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That’s very interesting, thank you for all that info.
I don’t do much mileage these days so I will even consider the Ioniq. My wife has range anxiety already, regardless of which car!!
I’m much more relaxed about range.

Is the BP Pulse unit, when up and running okay to live with?
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
That’s very interesting, thank you for all that info.
I don’t do much mileage these days so I will even consider the Ioniq. My wife has range anxiety already, regardless of which car!!
I’m much more relaxed about range.

Is the BP Pulse unit, when up and running okay to live with?
Thanks again
The Ioniq you’ll get your hands on quicker than a Kona. They’re made in different factories and so far their production line has been running a little smoother. Ideally you want to test drive both with your local dealer and see what you think. The Kona generally goes down well with everyone. But the Ioniq isn’t loved by quite so many.

The BP Pulse charger, if/when installed is mid range. Nothing impressive. But nothing especially terrible either. One thing to note though is that the smart features are fairly poor and don’t always work as planned.

BP Pulse were actually featured on BBC Watchdog last night. Which should give you an idea of what’s going on with them at the moment.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Motability prices remain the same, so that is not bad news.

The short list of electric cars is:

Citroen eC4
Hyundai Kona
Hyundai Ioniq
Volkswagen ID.3

My biggest concern is, will my Quickie Xenon2 folding chair fit in the boot of all these? I see some legwork in my future - assuming dealers have cars, and I know some don't.

How easy is it to live with electric cars, in that are there plenty of destination chargers now?

Most journeys are local, so not a problem. Carlisle is 35 miles away, so a return journey, not a problem. Glasgow and Edinburgh are around 80 miles away, which may become an issue with the Ioniq and eC4?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
With exception to the C4 you should find all those cars available at dealerships to both view and test drive.

The Ioniq probably has the largest boot from the top of my head. The only thing is it’s not flat access which may be an issue depending on how heavy the chair is and how comfortable you would be lifting it. It’s been a while since I looked at all the cars but I think the other 3 are either flat access, or have a false floor that can make it flat.

Best suggestion I can make is to take a look at Zap Map to see where the charge points are. Take a look where you’d usually be going and see that there’s suitable charging in the area. If you ask me, I’d say the area you appear to remain in is very well covered and you don’t need to worry. For both rapid and destination charging. Only thing to note is the accessibility issue. Remember that very few chargers are in disabled bays. Do you need this extra space? Likewise, you may need to step up a kerb or onto uneven ground to operate a charger. Unfortunately they weren’t really designed for universal access.

My other recommendation would be A Better Route Planner (ABRP) - It’s a very accurate tool which would show you where to charge along the way. You can program it in with what car you have, as well as even the weather conditions. Then it will tell you realistically if you’ll make it or need to charge, and how long for.

If you don’t want to worry about charging in public, simply go for one of the Hyundai cars and be done with it. They are the most efficient EVs and will hopefully help you negate the need to plug in on all but the longest of trips.

PS if the Kona is too small look at the Kia Niro. It’s the same car as the Kona underneath but just has a larger body including boot space. Both are on the Motability scheme I think.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again for some great information.

I usually have a carer or wife with me, especially for long journeys.

I’m as fickle as can be. One minute living the range of the ID.3, next the comfort of the eC4. Pesky first world problems.
Thanks again for inspiring confidence.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just back from looking at the ID3. At least a seven month wait, possibly longer.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ouch - it'll be interesting to hear what the wait times are for other cars, I'm guessing you have to order one rather than being able to pick up a cancelled order?
Hopefully the others will be shorter but the chip shortage are causing long lead times at the moment.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Ouch - it'll be interesting to hear what the wait times are for other cars, I'm guessing you have to order one rather than being able to pick up a cancelled order?
Hopefully the others will be shorter but the chip shortage are causing long lead times at the moment.
Wait times are terrible across the board right now, but VW and it's related companies are struggling more than most at the moment so their wait times are even worse.

Motability customers can take a car from dealer inventory or cancelled orders no problem as long as that model is within the scheme price list. If it has any extras added on then the customer would have to pay the additional costs for them too. But it's otherwise no problem at all. The problem right now is that there aren't really any cancelled order to speak of, and the few that do exist are gone within minutes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Being pragmatic it will be 7 months worth of bug fixes!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,469 Posts
They aren't known for representing the customer, just so long as they can shift some stock. The pain of any charge point install and ongoing service comes after the event of the contract sale and at worst will just cause the customer to revert to ICE in the future - possibly Big Petroleum's objective.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts