Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, getting a new MG ZS this we,end. It’s coming by sea, a 14 hour journey kindly being brought up for me by a relative. They have asked if they should turn motion sensors off, as their own car has occasionally been very sensitive to a choppy voyage. The dealer thinks it’s a strange question, and suggest just leaving the door unlocked, but a friend thinks this may drain battery life for such a long period. Any advice, it sails tomorrow night?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Tell your friend to take a 10mm spanner, and remove the -ve battery clamp when he gets on the boat, and pops it back on when he arrives. Problem solved?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The MG doesn't have any internal movement alarm sensors (no dog mode for example).

I don't know for sure but I don't think it has any motion sensors either to detect the car being moved

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tell your friend to take a 10mm spanner, and remove the -ve battery clamp when he gets on the boat, and pops it back on when he arrives. Problem solved?
That might be an issue, they are on the way back from hospital!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The MG doesn't have any internal movement alarm sensors (no dog mode for example).

I don't know for sure but I don't think it has any motion sensors either to detect the car being moved
The dealership thinks it has, hence stating to leave it unlocked, but as I don’t have the manual yet I can’t confirm. Hoping an MG owner will confirm. I might have to try another dealership. If it does drain the battery it causes havoc on a RoRo.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,053 Posts
Pretty sure it'll be fine. They get a 3 month shakedown on their way from China to the UK on a boat a bit bigger than a RoRo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty sure it'll be fine. They get a 3 month shakedown on their way from China to the UK on a boat a bit bigger than a RoRo.
True. Are the batteries connected at that point? Not anything I’d thought of. I need a definitive answer though, this has to be driven off the ferry, and one of the roughest sea crossings in the world.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The MG has something fitted which means the 12V is disconnected on the initial sea crossing from China, but this is removed on arrival. I wouldn't bother doing anything special for a 14 hour voyage. I'm pretty sure that the MG doesn't have any movement sensors and if this was 'a thing' then loads of cars would arrive at the destination port with a flat 12V battery.

It is not uncommon for cars to leave lights or accessories on however and arrive with a flat battery. Ferries usually have facilities to jump start these vehicles and get them on their way again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The MG has something fitted which means the 12V is disconnected on the initial sea crossing from China, but this is removed on arrival. I wouldn't bother doing anything special for a 14 hour voyage. I'm pretty sure that the MG doesn't have any movement sensors and if this was 'a thing' then loads of cars would arrive at the destination port with a flat 12V battery.

It is not uncommon for cars to leave lights or accessories on however and arrive with a flat battery. Ferries usually have facilities to jump start these vehicles and get them on their way again.
Alarms are usually immobilised or cars left unlocked on this crossing I’m told. It’s like no other crossing in the UK. A local dealer says leaving it unlocked for that length of time flattens the battery. Catch 22. I guess we will find out tonight 😂

·
Registered
45 Posts
Am I missing something here? Why would leaving the car unlocked flatten the battery, I often leave mine on the drive unlocked, some lights come on when you first exit the car but these quickly go off and don't come back on until the door is reopened (not unlocked...actually physically opened)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
There are some very good dealers that give excellent advice and I would put great store by what they say. Others lie like a cheap Japanese watch and are prone to 'guess' or give an answer they think the customer wants to hear. This is true of pretty much all brands not just MG. Do you know which of these groups your dealer is in?

From a risk management perspective I feel that the chances of this running your battery flat is low and that even if it did the consequences wouldn't be too bad because you would be able to get a jump. A suggestion has been made by @Tandy0 that would mitigate this risk further.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Beats me, just a friend with an MG was told by the dealer not to leave it unlocked as it drained the battery. It happened to her so I’m cautious. However another dealer - I found one open despite it being the holidays- says locking it with the key rather than the fob doesn’t activate the motion sensors. We seem to have an answer. I hope.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Beats me, just a friend with an MG was told by the dealer not to leave it unlocked as it drained the battery. It happened to her so I’m cautious. However another dealer - I found one open despite it being the holidays- says locking it with the key rather than the fob doesn’t activate the motion sensors. We seem to have an answer. I hope.
Granted I've never left it 14 hours but struggling to see what could drain the battery when the car is fully turned off and doors are shut.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Alarms are usually immobilised or cars left unlocked on this crossing I’m told. It’s like no other crossing in the UK. A local dealer says leaving it unlocked for that length of time flattens the battery. Catch 22. I guess we will find out tonight 😂
I leave mine unlocked for days, possibly weeks and never had any issues. As stated previously, there is no mention of dog mode for the alarm in the user manual. Really don't think you'll need to worry about it being unlocked.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The car will be in "Transport Mode" when it leaves the factory - part of the dealer PDI will be to turn that off.

So you can't compare the two trips I'm afraid

1 - 16 of 16 Posts