1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Yeah it was a real turning point in the revelation of the volts true design. My comment got down voted to oblivion:rolleyes:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At least your comment wasn't the least-popular. :)

Prius here outnumber the combined Leaf+Volt+Tesla count easily 4:1. By comparing the Volt to the Prius in any fashion MotorTrend was bound to start a brawl between Volt and Prius fanbois.

I am happy with the Volt. I've driven a Prius once, and it was a nice car, too, but I enjoy driving the Volt more. I don't think that there's any argument that the Prius doesn't get better mileage than the Volt when the Volt is run only in charge-sustaining mode. However, in my use, where the vast majority of my trips are all-electric with the Volt, there really is no contention as to which would save me more petrol.

When I registered the Volt at the county courthouse they initially debated as to whether or not it was a hybrid or an electric vehicle. However, it turned out that at least in Washington state the current policy only permits the Prius and Honda Insight to be called "hybrid". Thus, the Volt was legally called an electric vehicle here. Based on my typical use, I'd say that is quite accurate.

Unfortunately, Toyota does not currently make a Prius PHEV with a 10kwh pack.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
No, but they really should! The Prius+ shows the drive system can handle a bit more weight, and you'd end up with something that almost equalled the Volts EV range, and easily beat it's petrol economy. I hope that's what they do for the next version, although Volt will also up its game with a better engine and a larger soc window, we can assume.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts