Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals

First post on any thread ever so can't wait to see the responses, just wanted to know what sort of mileage people are getting on the motorway, roughly as I have a 140mile journey coming up so to plan my journey I wanted to know what sort of range people were getting sitting at 60mph in a Renault zoe 22kw many thanks in advance.

Lewis

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,715 Posts
I have just been from Stoke to Amesbury (Salisbury) 170 miles each way. I charged at 60 and 30 miles outward and 60 and 30 miles homeward which was easily achieved at around 55 - 60 mph YMMV. Last leg homeward at 75 mph after Spaghetti Junction.

I charged twice each way at Webbs of Wychbold and Cotswold BMW Glos. Cotswold BMW is not on Plugshare yet as it is a new development, use Arle Park and Ride postcode and the go past there about 200 yards. You'll find them on Polar Live Map.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have just been from Stoke to Amesbury (Salisbury) 170 miles each way. I charged at 60 and 30 miles outward and 60 and 30 miles homeward which was easily achieved at around 55 - 60 mph YMMV. Last leg homeward at 75 mph after Spaghetti Junction.

I charged twice each way at Webbs of Wychbold and Cotswold BMW Glos. Cotswold BMW is not on Plugshare yet as it is a new development, use Arle Park and Ride postcode and the go past there about 200 yards. You'll find them on Polar Live Map.
Thank you this really helped :D feeling a little more confident about the range now :)

·
Zoe Devotee
8,563 Posts
70miles at 70mph (plus a tiny bit left over).

·
Registered
89 Posts
I reckon depending on it being uphill all the way, i easilly hit 80miles off a charge when heading to blackpool....then again temperatures have recently droppedso im going to agree with sandy and say 70miles is safe with around 10miles lee way

·
Registered
117 Posts
Last Sunday 5th November, I did a 120 mile round trip. The outside temperature was 3-4 degrees C on the way out and 8 degrees C on the way back. My average was 3.82 miles per kWh so 20 kWh would take me about 76 miles.
My speeds varied from 55 to 65 mph, but faster as I got nearer to home, when I could see I was not going to need a charge! This was my first longer drive in cooler weather. In the summer I was getting between 4 and 4.5 miles per kWh.
My car is a Zoe ZE40i but I expect the power consumption would be similar in the 22kWh car.
If you want to keep 20 miles range as a safety margin then I would (in a 22kWh vehicle) aim to charge at 60 miles from home and maybe again on the way home if needed (althought I am happy to run my battery lower when I know that there is a charger waiting for me at home).
Enjoy the trip

·
Registered
768 Posts
Is that a true 70 or 70 indicated on the Speedo?
In the Zoe it's pretty much the same. Comparing the speedo with a GPS my Zoe under reads by 1mph at all speeds above 20mph right up to 70mps.

If I keep my speed a fraction below 60mph I can get 90 miles out of my 22kWh Zoe in summer with 10 miles range to spare in the South of England. Several factors can drop your range, head winds, low temperatures and rain. Temperature is probably the biggest factor. When you first get the car take it easy and aim to stop earlier, once you've confident of it's abilities try pushing it. The GOM (range meter) is a pessimist, I always find the remaining range falls slower than the distance done as the battery goes down, generally 10 miles more than indicated at the start of your journey, for instance if I go from my west London home to Wales, at Membury services on the M4 (60 miles from home) the range meter will indicate 3 or so miles less than the distance to Leigh Delamare services (90 miles from home, when I get to Leigh Delamere I have around 10 miles range left, enough that I can speed up for the last few miles to 70mph to ensure the battery is warm so it can charge rapidly for longer. A half an hour 43kW rapid charge will give me about another 75 miles of range with a bit of contingency, it's quicker to stop the charge once the charging rate tails off and stop at an earlier charger.

In winter I have always made it to chargers 60 miles from home with a contingency, but the temperatures are rarely below zero during the day here. The heater takes about 5% of my range, a cold battery can't hold as much charge and the air is denser when cold which all reduce your range.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,563 Posts
Is that a true 70 or 70 indicated on the Speedo?
True speed. I've actually done 70miles easily at more than a displayed 70mph.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,388 Posts
CanZE (SSP displays true speed on the "Driving" screen. Car display is 4% above @ 100 km/h.

·
Registered
793 Posts
60-70 miles at motorway speed, but could probably be 75-80. Somehow the battery gauge seems to go down faster when you go faster (bear with me here) and you'd think you'd never make it. Then it gets to a point around the last third mark where it seems to stick for a while and the GOM stops dropping as well. At the end I always seem to have 12 miles left.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,563 Posts
60-70 miles at motorway speed, but could probably be 75-80. Somehow the battery gauge seems to go down faster when you go faster (bear with me here) and you'd think you'd never make it. Then it gets to a point around the last third mark where it seems to stick for a while and the GOM stops dropping as well. At the end I always seem to have 12 miles left.
Pre-BMS findings! It's all changed post-BMS, range drops more uniformly and just as quick. I found to my peril when I thought i'd still have that "backup" range in the summer when zooming along at 65mph with a roof box on... 75miles really was 75miles and car was showing 100w of usable capacity at that point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All these replies have really re-assured me and now can't wait to hit the motorway! Last question would you all advise using the cruise control on the flats? Then when hitting an incline would you recommend taking over for those bits?

·
Registered
117 Posts
All these replies have really re-assured me and now can't wait to hit the motorway! Last question would you all advise using the cruise control on the flats? Then when hitting an incline would you recommend taking over for those bits?
I like the speed limiter. Not really tried cruise control. Take care not to allow these to distract you when driving (I have been distracted in the past.)

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,715 Posts
I don't bother turning it off for hills if I have enough (30+ miles) of spare range. I'm basically too lazy for that.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,563 Posts
Cruise is nice, but roads need to be quiet or you end up catching slower folk up etc. Speed limiter is way better in UK, plus it stops you going faster and faster, which is easy in Zoe and this hits range... especially when your cruising along at 80+mph lol

·
Registered
793 Posts
Pre-BMS findings! It's all changed post-BMS, range drops more uniformly and just as quick. I found to my peril when I thought i'd still have that "backup" range in the summer when zooming along at 65mph with a roof box on... 75miles really was 75miles and car was showing 100w of usable capacity at that point.
Might be, but don't have any show charging issues so won't bother. Also once you are used to it it's no big deal. Just one of the quirks of driving a BEV.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,715 Posts
Cruise is nice, but roads need to be quiet or you end up catching slower folk up etc. Speed limiter is way better in UK, plus it stops you going faster and faster, which is easy in Zoe and this hits range... especially when your cruising along at 80+mph lol
Personally I'm not a fan of the limiter. It feels to me like Zoe has got a 'flat spot' whenever I've used it. I get a feeling that the timing is out or the spark plugs need cleaning.:D:cool:;)

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,388 Posts
Personally I'm not a fan of the limiter. It feels to me like Zoe has got a 'flat spot' whenever I've used it. I get a feeling that the timing is out or the spark plugs need cleaning.:D:cool:;)
Like the introduction of the Euro, it will take a generation to full absorb the change. Oh wait... ;)

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,654 Posts
On the other hand, Cruise Control is an excellent way of forcing you to think ahead and predict what is coming, which is exactly what one should be doing on motorways - merge into the overtaking lane before you start closing in to a dangrous distance on the car in front, thus not needing to slow down.

Limiter is OK in some circumstances, like crazy low speed limits - but often I forget it's on when I'm leaving a speed limit into a higher one, which in some ways is pretty dangerous!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts