Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-niro 4
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pleasantly surprised! Put the cruise control on 70 and then just held the wheel between Bradford and Oxford, non-stop!

186 miles in 192 minutes. Battery went from 84% to 11%. Dashboard reckons 3.9mile/kWh. We had heating on for about half the journey, headlights too, used in car navigation but no music or phone charging.

It's currently sipping from a 7kw charger overnight ready to do the return journey tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Did you kept getting told to hold on to the steering wheel? :D. It's so tempting to just relax and let it go. Probably not a good idea though

·
Registered
Kia e-niro 4
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I kept getting told to hold on even when I was holding on! There's enough dodgy drivers on the motorway nowadays that I wouldn't dream of taking my eyes off the road.

Charge completed in 10 hours after pumping 71.5kWh my way! I'm assuming some of that was to regulate battery temperatures etc (feels pretty cold out there) but considering I thought I had roughly 6kWh left that's a lot of heating. Either that or the Chargemaster isn't clever enough to know how much it actually sent, so it just multiplied its rate by the time (I checked on the car now and then, and it was only drawing 0.5kWh)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I kept getting told to hold on even when I was holding on! There's enough dodgy drivers on the motorway nowadays that I wouldn't dream of taking my eyes off the road.

Charge completed in 10 hours after pumping 71.5kWh my way! I'm assuming some of that was to regulate battery temperatures etc (feels pretty cold out there) but considering I thought I had roughly 6kWh left that's a lot of heating. Either that or the Chargemaster isn't clever enough to know how much it actually sent, so it just multiplied its rate by the time (I checked on the car now and then, and it was only drawng 0.5kWh)
If you unlocked the car to check the rate then it goes down to 0.5 so you can disconnect the charge cable. Not sure why the Chargemaster told you 71.5 - that's a lot more than 64

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a weird one too. The car was at just under 50%, and I connected it to our Ohme type2 overnight. Their app tells me they used 39.2 kWh in that session. Doesn't compute for me...

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
326 Posts
What´s the power of the charger? There´s easily a 20% loss when doing slow AC charging.

·
Registered
326 Posts
On a 7 kW charger it strikes me as quite a loss. I´d expect some 15% max

·
Super Moderator
7,534 Posts
Pleasantly surprised! Put the cruise control on 70 and then just held the wheel between Bradford and Oxford, non-stop!

186 miles in 192 minutes. Battery went from 84% to 11%. Dashboard reckons 3.9mile/kWh. We had heating on for about half the journey, headlights too, used in car navigation but no music or phone charging.

It's currently sipping from a 7kw charger overnight ready to do the return journey tomorrow afternoon.
Good to hear. I've only seen above 4mpkwh on one trip so glad to see that's normal - was beginning to think I had too heavy a foot.

·
Registered
Kia e-niro 4
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to hear. I've only seen above 4mpkwh on one trip so glad to see that's normal - was beginning to think I had too heavy a foot.
Well in that case you might not like this post ;). I did quite an extreme test for the return journey. Cruise control was set at 60 (occasionally 65), and I drafted behind lorries for the majority of the journey. I also switched cruise control off on downhill stretches (so I gained a bit of speed rather than using re-gen). Set off with 100%, arrived 197 miles later with 45%. Was a warmer day so didn't have heating or air conditioning on. Intermittently charged 2 phones.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm curious: would you expect more or less loss on a 16A charger than 32A?
Well, the higher the amperage the lower the resistance and theoretically the lower the losses. But there seems to be some overhead loss that causes a high percentage (23% has been measured) at low speeds (10A) and the loss percentage gets lower when charging at higher speeds.

I came across an interesting article on pushevs.com which gives efficiencies at different speeds. It´s for a Zoe so not completely applicable, but it gives a rough idea of how efficiency goes up with speeds: Renault Zoe charging time and efficiency - PushEVs

(Note, the 59% efficiency for the Q90 at 10A is pretty horrendous)

EDIT
Was not completely awake so had to revise this...

·
Registered
54 Posts
The car was at just under 50%, and I connected it to our Ohme type2 overnight. Their app tells me they used 39.2 kWh in that session. Doesn't compute for me...
You can compare "Cumulative energy charged" in Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app, to assess charging losses. There is yet another counter "Cumulative energy discharged" in Car Scanner. There is some discrepancy between both, not quite sure how counters are related, maybe show charging or other losses.

·
Super Moderator
7,534 Posts
Well in that case you might not like this post ;). I did quite an extreme test for the return journey. Cruise control was set at 60 (occasionally 65), and I drafted behind lorries for the majority of the journey. I also switched cruise control off on downhill stretches (so I gained a bit of speed rather than using re-gen). Set off with 100%, arrived 197 miles later with 45%. Was a warmer day so didn't have heating or air conditioning on. Intermittently charged 2 phones.

View attachment 135481
So about 350 miles on a charge? Impressive!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts