Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya

Tempted to go electric for the first time with a Zoe..for those who have the latest version, what kind of motorway range are you getting? At worse case scenario I would want to do a 110 mile return journey with about 100 on the motorway - could that be done...at reasonable speed 60/65...in winter...with air con?

Advice appreciated! Would rather go electric sooner than later and not keen on waiting a year for a kona or eniro

Thanks!

·
Registered
342 Posts
In a ZE40 (40kWh battery) you'd have no trouble doing that journey in winter, with heating. I travel at those speeds on the motorway and never get less than 3.6 mpkWh worst case in winter, with some A roads in the mix. Even at 3 mpkWh you get 120 miles range.

Of course, a 22 kWh model won't do the job.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I disagree with the “no trouble”

I’ve just done a motorway trip

65 mph in -1 degC and it’s doable yes but my total range has dropped to 120 miles in this weather.

Having said that - you shouldn’t be worried about longer journeys, the eco trickery chargers at service stations are superb.

I bought the Q90 so 40 mins charge takes me from 20% to 80% charge

In the sept I did a 200 mile trip with a 15min stop

JJ

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
403 Posts
As @cDy states the ZE40 will do that sort of journey.
The Zoe does use much less electrons at 60mph than 65mph.
Headwinds will also make a difference, and how warm your battery is at the start of the day.
If it’s just had a good charge prior to starting the journey the battery will be warmer, so more range.
Pre-heating the cabin also helps when plugged in.

There are lots of variables but the Zoe should have enough spare to allow for them.

The good thing is that motorways normally have charging stations, so if you are ever caught short a quick 10 minutes will give you the extra miles.

JJ some duplication with your post, I wrote the above and forgot to press send.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, it's doable. Here in The Netherlands, it's 5 degrees right now. I drove 65km/40mi at 130kmh/80mih to my client. Then on the way back, I took a different way and drove 80km/50mi at 90kmh/56mi. When I came home, there was 40km/25mi left. If you take it easier on the gas pedal, then undoubtedly you'll get quite a bit further.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
My Q90 ZE40 has been charging from a granny at my destination

DAA9A193-E047-457A-8685-2ABFCBD9EF08.png

And this is based on history from a single motorway journey

I’d say this was the worst worst worst case scenario

JJ

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Where did the Renault range calculator thingy go? I just tried the link in another thread and it's a 404.

https://www.renault.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/zoe-250/driving range.html << defunct link for me now.

I wanted to work out out what speed you'd have to drive a zoe 40 to get the same 160 odd miles at motorway speeds as an IPace at mostly indicated 70 mph at 9C. IPace average was 2.2 miles per kWh at those speeds.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,375 Posts
Where did the Renault range calculator thingy go? I just tried the link in another thread and it's a 404.

https://www.renault.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/zoe-250/driving range.html << defunct link for me now.

I wanted to work out out what speed you'd have to drive a zoe 40 to get the same 160 odd miles at motorway speeds as an IPace at mostly indicated 70 mph at 9C. IPace average was 2.2 miles per kWh at those speeds.
Driving range | ZOE | Electric | Renault UK

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
On the motorway in the cold? That’s really good

At what speed?

JJ

I think you are seeing a fair bit of impact on your miles/charge due to the 17" wheels as your range reports seem lower than most

·
Banned
350 Posts
On the motorway in the cold? That’s really good

At what speed?

JJ
I do 70 sometimes - 65 the rest of the time - 60 when I need to eek out the range My last charge overnight got me 144 - the app is broke for me so I can't get on it right now - since the update the webpage is broke

edit - i charge overnight from home using Octopus so mostly in the off peak bit

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
As above, to maximise range
  • Avoid 17" wheels.
  • Precondition in the morning on wall charger before you leave.
  • Drive slower if it is cold (I set cruise to 65)
  • Keep temp settings modest.
  • Avoid Q90 unless you really need slightly faster (real world) charging (contentious if range is really less)

·
Banned
350 Posts
As above, to maximise range
  • Avoid 17" wheels.
  • Precondition in the morning on wall charger before you leave.
  • Drive slower if it is cold (I set cruise to 65)
  • Keep temp settings modest.
  • Avoid Q90 unless you really need slightly faster (real world) charging (contentious if range is really less)
Agreed - I keep the temp on 22 and auto and always pre heat - even if not on wall it never knocks the range too much - 60-65 in a Zoe is nice and therapeutic I find.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts