Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Next week I will be moving an EV, with less than 30kwh battery size, about 90-100 miles from point of purchase to home. It's a used car so I expect battery is not 100% SOH either.

I'm generally well versed with longer range models - I just don't worry about the range and charge at destination (usually visiting someone's house for a weekend so a slow charge on the 3-pin is fine).
And I have also used the Tesla SuC extensively (easily the best worry-free option today).

What's the deal with rapid charging on motorways with the 'public' chargers?

I expect to take the M1 South and then M25 clockwise.
And will make 2-3 stops as, basically, I am already anticipating range anxeity!

Any advice, please, would help our advanced journey panning.

Reactions: E7EV

·
Registered
15,366 Posts
What is it - a Leaf I guess?

If so you should be good with one charge en-route, if it is charged up when you leave. Also, just take it steady - truck speeds.

The basic rule is plan using your favourite charge point app, and then have a plan A, B and C. :)

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Yes - the model is key. CHAdeMO is fine on Motorways - CCS less so. If a 24kWh Leaf (as I'm assuming), you should set up the Ecotricity app (Electric Highway) beforehand so you are not messing around when you stop. Best to plan your stops beforehand using ZapMap - don't leave it to ad hoc stops when you are on the road.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Used 27Kwh Soul : CHAdeMO connector

But with SOH at 91%, so not really sure of its particular real world range

How accurate is the Electric Highway app when it says a charger is available/ready - does that mean it will work including full comms with the my account to pay etc. ?

Thank you both.
It's going to be a fun weekend signing up to a few different charge app/providers, taking 2 mobiles each on different networks, etc.
I just want to get it home and not be stranded!

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,661 Posts
If you’re coming past Milton Keynes, you could try the Coachway Polar Hub. Nine rapids so shouldn’t be any issues. Otherwise you have a number of Ecotricity sites at Motorway Services, the last one being Mimms. Good thing about having Chademo is that there are usually two Rapids with these connectors at each site.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
I haven't really used the EH app to check availability - just wish they'd provide a live feed to ZapMap. They are one of the few companies that doesn't. I just took a look, and although in another thread it said that the pumps at IKEA Reading were inaccessible at the moment, the app says one CHAdeMO is in use, and two are available. So I don't know who to believe.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you’re coming past Milton Keynes, you could try the Coachway Polar Hub. Nine rapids so shouldn’t be any issues. Otherwise you have a number of Ecotricity sites at Motorway Services, the last one being Mimms. Good thing about having Chademo is that there are usually two Rapids with these connectors at each site.
That Polar Hub looks really cool! I think we will definitely make that our first stop just to see it anyway. Thanks!
How available is your remote SMS charging support service on Tuesday next week? ;)

I haven't really used the EH app to check availability - just wish they'd provide a live feed to ZapMap. They are one of the few companies that doesn't. I just took a look, and although in another thread it said that the pumps at IKEA Reading were inaccessible at the moment, the app says one CHAdeMO is in use, and two are available. So I don't know who to believe.
I think the IKEA car park may be open, so can access the chargers, even though the main stores are shut. That is certainly the case at our local IKEA (Greenwich).

IKEA Tottenham is now on our Plan C for charging on the journey home :D

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,541 Posts
If it's a 27kwh Soul watch out as the rapid charging only charges to about 80% odd on first go. If you want it to about 90% then you have to restart the charge and it takes about 20 minutes to do the last 10%.

I'd think one short charge would be fine. I had a Soul and it's streets ahead of a Leaf for economy. If you can get whoever you are buying it off to charge it to 100% then even better. It's fine in eco mode as well.

The 27kwh Soul was easily a match for the 30kWh Leaf and often exceeds the range of it even though it has the aerodynamics of a breeze block. Range meter is also far better than on the leaf. You generally get what it says as it starts off a bit pessimistic.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it's a 27kwh Soul watch out as the rapid charging only charges to about 80% odd on first go. If you want it to about 90% then you have to restart the charge and it takes about 20 minutes to do the last 10%.
Does that result in a double cost if the charging unit has an initial connection cost ?

I'd think one short charge would be fine. I had a Soul and it's streets ahead of a Leaf for economy. If you can get whoever you are buying it off to charge it to 100% then even better. It's fine in eco mode as well.

The 27kwh Soul was easily a match for the 30kWh Leaf and often exceeds the range of it even though it has the aerodynamics of a breeze block. Range meter is also far better than on the leaf. You generally get what it says as it starts off a bit pessimistic.
Brilliant - thanks - good to know.
ev-database.uk does suggest that the 30kWh leaf has usable battery of 28kWh, so basically the same as the Soul.

We preferred the Kia Soul over the Leaf because it is much less common and felt better built. We also did not want leather seats, but did want all the equipment (close to Tekna).
The potential to update the sat nav software to work with Android Auto is a great bonus that will overcome the lack of 360-parking radar (which the Leaf has).

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,541 Posts
Does that result in a double cost if the charging unit has an initial connection cost ?
Usually yes. Ecotricity are per kWh so it won't matter. I think it's only Geniepoint that have the connection fee now and some CYC chargers.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,574 Posts
91% in a Soul 27kw is about 85 miles max if you keep your speed at max 60mph. Car charges to 84% on a rapid, restart rapid and you can get to 94%. The Soul will not rapid charge above 94%. As its your first time out in the Soul and you dont want any worry stop anywhere after you get to 60% or less and charge to 84%, when it first stops, and you will easily get home. Have fun.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Usually yes. Ecotricity are per kWh so it won't matter. I think it's only Geniepoint that have the connection fee now and some CYC chargers.
Thanks
I think the rapid Polar Instant's as well. At least, not enough time to receive their free trial card.

·
Registered
521 Posts
taking 2 mobiles each on different networks, etc.
I just want to get it home and not be stranded!
If you're using the motorway services, Ecotricity chargers broadcast WiFi so you don't need to worry about signal. The password for the hotspot is 'ecotricity' not that you should be struggling to get phone signal on any network especially at the southern end of the M1.

The Ecotricity app may say the charger is unavailable, but that may simply mean it just has no communication right now and is simply on free vend. Generally all the services have more than one charger these days and as has been said, chademo is quite reliable so for me I find it is often worth taking the risk.

Also with some Polar chargers, be careful with planning where you will be stopping to charge. Many of the ones that are closest to motorways tend to be in hotels. With the current situation a number of them are closed and the car park may not be accessible. If it is open, be sure to go to the front desk and sign in with your license plate if you don't fancy getting an unexpected parking fine.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,553 Posts
Also with some Polar chargers, be careful with planning where you will be stopping to charge. Many of the ones that are closest to motorways tend to be in hotels. With the current situation a number of them are closed and the car park may not be accessible.
A good way to check this is to look at Zap-Map.
Chargers in this situation will be marked "🚫 Restrictions" when clicked on, and the comments will say the site is "temporarily closed due to COVID-19".

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Polar Instant doesn't have a connection charge - they have a minimum charge which is not the same thing. You need to draw around 5kWh to cover the minimum charge.
Ah! I actually read again, but carefully this time: it does say "min. payment".

Thanks!

·
Registered
521 Posts
A good way to check this is to look at Zap-Map.
Chargers in this situation will be marked "🚫 Restrictions" when clicked on, and the comments will say the site is "temporarily closed due to COVID-19".
That’s the theory. But my nearest Polar Ultracharge unit is at a hotel which has had its entrance fenced off and no mention of it on Zap Map. Rather surprisingly no comments from anyone since before the lockdown started either. Most of them do have this restriction listed but I personally wouldn’t be relying on that data.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That’s the theory. But my nearest Polar Ultracharge unit is at a hotel which has had its entrance fenced off and no mention of it on Zap Map. Rather surprisingly no comments from anyone since before the lockdown started either. Most of them do have this restriction listed but I personally wouldn’t be relying on that data.
Agreed. I find Zap-Map hit/miss with meaningful comments and feedback from others.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts