Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,474 Posts
How accurate is the Electric Highway app when it says a charger is available/ready - does that mean it will work including full comms with the my account to pay etc. ?
It is pretty good at predicting if a CHAdeMO unit is working.

If the charger looses comms it defaults to free vend. In this case your phone won't be able to start a charge, but you can start a free charge from the buttons on the charger.

There is no way for them to know if your phone will work. If your mobile data isn't working, there is local WiFi right at the rapid. You should ask EH on twitter for the password. I've used it a few times when my phone couldn't get a signal.

·
Super Moderator
11,474 Posts
Agreed. I find Zap-Map hit/miss with meaningful comments and feedback from others.
In my experience, status on Zap-map is less reliable then the EH app.

I've seen people mark a EH rapid faulty because they had to pay!

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,661 Posts
Also with some Polar chargers, be careful with planning where you will be stopping to charge. Many of the ones that are closest to motorways tend to be in hotels. With the current situation a number of them are closed and the car park may not be accessible. If it is open, be sure to go to the front desk and sign in with your license plate if you don't fancy getting an unexpected parking fine
I wanted to use a Polar Ultracharger in a local closed Toby Carvery but was worried about the Parking Camera. Emailed Toby and the manager of that restaurant replied saying not to worry. If I ever did get a ticket, she would cancel it. Used the charger and didn’t get a fine, so presume the camera has been turned off.

·
Registered
451 Posts
We did over 90 miles in our 22kWh 2015 ZOE last summer. If you drive carefully, you should be able to make it without charging, but best to have a bail-out option close to the end.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
UPDATE: Thank you all. It went really well. Everyone's general concensus that it will be fine was correct!

We left with a full charge and the GOM said 91 miles. This was after the car's recent history of inefficient forecourt driving.
Probably did not need to stop at all, but we ended up stopping twice: Toddington M1 Southbound and then South Mimms. The Electric Highway app and chargers worked aboslutely fine.

But really just one short stop would have been fine in hindsight.
I reset the onboard efficiency calculator before setting off and it then reported about 4.9miles/kw during the journey.

As for the car - it's great. Feels nice to use mechanical switches and buttons again!

If you’re coming past Milton Keynes, you could try the Coachway Polar Hub.
We visited this place on the way up in our Model 3 rental. It's a cool setup and was empty given the coach station was closed and hardly anyone travelling these days.

Tried the Ionity chargers, which I do not see the point of compared to the Polar's that were there - Ionity was over double the cost for the same charge rate (~50kW).

Thankfully the rental company was paying via their PlugShare card.

On that note, I recommend UFO Drive for EV rentals: UFODRIVE | Radically Better Car Rental | Easy, Exciting & Electric - We borrowed a Model 3 from there to go up, and only cost us £55 after the referral discount. We picked the "Any EV" potluck option, but I figured they'd give us a Tesla anyway as that's all they have currently at their London locations!

Private Message me with your mobile number if you want £30/€30 off your first rental with UFO Drive : www.ufodrive.com !

Reactions: E7EV

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I did the same journey again today and in both directions (had to visit dealer to sort out a few things that was overlooked on collection day).

Did not stop at all on the way up. Plugged in at home overnight and cabin pre-heating timer set. GOM reported 101 mile range on 99% battery.
Drove very carefully with only Bluetooth music on (even the screen display was off!). Went through London and straight up M1 from Brent Cross to Junction 14. 65miles journey at that point.
Had like 27% battery left from then and so then drove it hard with a bunch of electrics all the way to the Kia dealer.

Then headed to the MK Coachways Polar chargers where the battery/range was at this stage:

Charged it to 94% and returned home at ~57mph speed, but with seat warmers, fan and wipers on this time as started raining and temperatures dropped.

I believe it is good for the BMS (Battery Management System) to do that from time-to-time (run from near full to near empty).

Overall: Loved it! Getting used to this non-Tesla long distance journeys EV'ing :cool:

Thank you all for your tips

Reactions: E7EV and srichards

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,661 Posts
Have you registered the vehicle for congestion charge exception yet? From the 22nd of June, the charge will apply 7am until 10pm seven days a week and increase to £15 a day.

Reactions: ohit1

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Have you registered the vehicle for congestion charge exception yet? From the 22nd of June, the charge will apply 7am until 10pm seven days a week and increase to £15 a day.
Thanks! Yes - all submitted. Takes upto 10 days for them to check paperwork evidence and confirm back.

That CC extention was part of the motivator to finally get a used EV of around ~100 miles range.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
91% in a Soul 27kw is about 85 miles max if you keep your speed at max 60mph. Car charges to 84% on a rapid, restart rapid and you can get to 94%. The Soul will not rapid charge above 94%. As its your first time out in the Soul and you dont want any worry stop anywhere after you get to 60% or less and charge to 84%, when it first stops, and you will easily get home. Have fun.
For the benefit of others browsing this thread in the future: I have found that my 15-plate Soul (27kWh) rapid charges straight to 94% and then stops.

I have a print out of its BMS at software version 5502. So it must be that or whatever updates it has had to its OBC.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts