Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We've had our 64 plate Gen2 Leaf for a month now and loving the whole EV thing!

We haven't used the car for a few days (just had a baby!) and when I used it today I noticed a large area of mould / mildew in the driver's footwell and on the sill between the door and seat. Further inspection revealed mildew under the driver's mat and on the floor and seat upholstery on the driver's side rear seat.

We're obviously not very keen on putting our newborn and 2 year old in the car where they could be exposed to whatever the mould is.

I'm going to contact the (independent) dealer tomorrow as its still under their 3 month warranty, but any ideas what this could be? The car has always had a very slight musty smell (masked I guess by air freshener when we test drove it), but have never noticed any damp/wet inside.

Thanks,
James

Attachments

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Leafs are hard to shift used, it has likely stood around for ages and hence the mold is "natural" from being sealed up parked at the back of the lot.

Clean off the mold with the normal household cleaner, then plug the car in, turn on the climate control with the aircon engaged and the temperature set high. Make sure it's fully dried out inside.

If the mold re-emerges, you have a blocked drain somewhere. Which will be tricky to track down - check all the drain holes under the windscreen as a first step - try pouring some coloured water on the windscreen and check it drains out under the car.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,740 Posts
There have been a few threads in here about water ingress in the Leaf. (The forum search facility will bring them up )
These range from windscreen seal problems, through to major roof welding issues and also aircon condensate pipes being blocked. All tend to deposit water inside the car and can cause internal condensation and wet carpets as well as mould if it is left standing for long. Cleaning up the mould is obviously a priority but I would monitor it closely in case the cause is water getting in somewhere - before winter sets in and makes life miserable in a damp car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts