Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the UK we seem to have just ignored Mountain Mode don't we. I got told at the handover that in the UK MM isn't going to be useful and it was just glossed over.

Well, I have read more about MM on the GM-Volt.com forums here:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?14374-Hold-Drive-vs-Mountain-Mode

If this is correct for the Ampera (and I have no reason to think it isn't the same) then MM could actually be very useful here.

Putting the emissions issues aside for a moment, EV mode works best in a town, start/stop environment better than ER mode does. There is none of the petrol engine inefficiencies of starting up the engine and it is quieter too. So I have been running in HOLD mode on motorways so that I can use EV mode on the slow roads at the other end of the trip. Just a word of warning though... make sure you have used all the battery power before you next charge to full or you will be wasting the oppoertunity to use the cheaper battery power.

Mountain Mode however could do this switch over automatically for me at abou 35% battery power remaining (about 15 miles). It will then maintain the battery at that level for use at the other end of the trip. Another word of caution though... MM will run the petrol generator to charge up the battery to 35% if it is below that level so don't engage MM if your battery is below about 15 miles unless you are genuinely going into the mountains. There is no financial benefit whatsoever in using petrol to charge the battery.

So, it looks to me like MM might be useful in the UK after all.

I shall have to test it out next time I am on a longer trip.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Funnily enough I tried MM out the other day when the battery was "empty"

It did seem to recharge the battery while driving but the only off-putting thing (apart from unnecessary fuel useage) was that when I came to a halt the engine continued running at it's highest rev range which was OK in out of town traffic but I guess it could be a bit embarrasing at traffic lights when pedestrians might wonder what was happening!!

Needless to say I'll stay away from MM until I see some ahead!

Big Paul

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big_Paul, you did what I was saying we shouldn't do - engage MM when the battery is below 35%. Yes, I would strongly recommend that we all stay away from MM when the battery is below 35% because as you found out, the petrol generator runs at its maximum to charge up the battery back up to 35% - not what anyone will we want unless that is you are actually going into the mountains!

Try it out again Big_Paul when the battery is above 35%. That won't happen and the car will automatically go into Charge Sustain mode at 35% and keep 35% of your battery power for when you need it most at the other end of a motorway trip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts