Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone managed to fit the mounting bracket supplied with the portable charger :?: The lead length once passed through the long slot in the back of the unit is only 105mm long from the bottom or top of the unit to the strain relief of the plug, which makes it impossible to fit to an adjacent socket. It would be OK if the slots were either side as well but they are not. Have reported this problem to Trevor at Vauxhall, hopefully they will increase the lead length at some point to suit a British plug.
Thank you for reading and please help if you can :?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Hi Brian,

I have a Pod Point home pod already installed for the Nissan Leaf so I hadn't yet had a close loook at the Ampera cable but now I have I can see what you mean. It is going to be almost impossible to plug it in once on the holder.

Sorry but I don't think I can help with this one. It really needs Vauxhall to take back the EVSE and to fit a longer flex to the plug.

I can feel a recall coming on!

Strange thing is that the Nissan Leaf EVSEs were recalled for having a plug fitted that had an inadequate cable clamp. Do they ever test these things out in real life I wonder?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hiya,

My thought when I looked at the charger was that perhaps the mounting plate fixed to the wall is intended purely for storage, with the charger being lifted off and plugged in elsewhere during charging. It would seem pretty daft though, if this is the intention, because it then leaves the charger dangling with no support while the car is on charge.

So, if it isn't intended to be plugged in and used while mounted on the wall, it should have been! :roll:

(I am Paul C's other (better!) half btw. An avid reader of the forum but I am not one to post much. But I may get into the habit more, you never know!)

All the best,
Sally

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Paul and Sally,
Thank you for your replies and for checking out the installation using the portable charger. I've come to the conclusion it is designed for American plugs and sockets which are a lot smaller and the short cable length is fine, probably the lead length with European plugs fitted will be OK also.
As you say, it certainly appears the designers did not check this one out. I can think of a few bodges to get round this but the item should be sold as fit for function as shown in the additional instruction booklet supplied with the car, see 'GM Installation Instructions Voltec Charge Cord'
Have not tried it in a roadside charger but without the mounting plate the lead length is a lot longer.
Enjoy your break.
Many thanks, Brian

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks dpeilow for your suggestion, I can now see that mounting the charger below the socket does give a few extra millimetres of cable length, appreciate your help, thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all, glad I'm not the only one to be stumped by this when I took delivery. However, I think I have an explanation and solution - well it worked for me! The socket you are trying to fit the charger plug into is most likely retro-fitted in a garage or, in my case, outside. This means the plug is surface mounted and thus stands proud of the wall. My eventual solution therefore after a few days of head scratching was simply to mount a wooden baton to the wall adjacent to the plug to the same height as the plug and then fix the mounting plate to this. Works a treat!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Mgp for posting the solution of mounting the bracket onto a wooden baton when plugging into a surface mounted socket, good thinking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts