Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rolec smart charger that I am very happy with. I am currently in a rented house with permission for the charger, I told the landlord that if we were to move I would blank off the cables.
In August I will be moving to a new build house and would like to move my charger to the new house. As I don't need the grant can a normal electrician fit the charger? Does anyone have an idea of how much this could cost? I can't imagine it costing any more than £150 as the distribution board is just on the other side of the wall. I could fit everything in less than an hour but the regulations don't allow me to.
TIA

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
630 Posts
Yes, any (qualified) electrician can fit a charger. Cost will depend on a few factors, including:
  • How will the earth be dealt with under the revised 18th edition regulations? You will probably need an earthing rod or additional electronics (unless your Rolec is recent and meets the revised regs).
  • Is an additional consumer unit needed for an isolation switch and RCD or will the RCD fit in the existing CU?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a rolec smart charger that I am very happy with. I am currently in a rented house with permission for the charger, I told the landlord that if we were to move I would blank off the cables.
In August I will be moving to a new build house and would like to move my charger to the new house. As I don't need the grant can a normal electrician fit the charger? Does anyone have an idea of how much this could cost? I can't imagine it costing any more than £150 as the distribution board is just on the other side of the wall. I could fit everything in less than an hour but the regulations don't allow me to.
TIA
You can claim the grant again at a new address I think...

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
No you can't.
Simple answer, get quotes from appropriately qualified electricians.
As at @cDy says, the regulations may now be different to previously.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No you can't.
Simple answer, get quotes from appropriately qualified electricians.
As at @cDy says, the regulations may now be different to previously.
Yes, I know I can't legally. That's why I'm asking if the electrician had to be specifically qualified to fit ev charge points. I don't think they're is any more than an 1.5 hours work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've just had my rolec charge point fitted by a mate (fully qualified sparkle)
Put it where I wanted it and also installed an exterior water tight socket so I can play with drills🤪
£130 all in and works perfectly
I'm not eligible for the grant so had to think of other ways to get a decent rate of charge
So in answer to your question yes you can get a qualified electrician to shift it for you👍

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. When you Google this all you ever get is the grant stuff

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With a new build house it should come with a charger, check and ask builder.
Don't be silly, everything is extra. And not cheap. Even the council has banned solar panels under permitted development. So in a few years I will need planning permission to fit them.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,695 Posts
Don't be silly, everything is extra. And not cheap. Even the council has banned solar panels under permitted development. So in a few years I will need planning permission to fit them.
There is a directive to include them in new builds

·
Registered
732 Posts
It sounds as though you feel competent to do the job assuming you are aware of the requirements for (possibly) an earth rod, RCD protection etc. You may also need to contact your electricity supplier to get an isolator fitted. Maybe you can do the work and get a qualified electrician to check it, test it and issue a certificate?
Some years ago I worked with somebody who was very practical and installed a new gas boiler at his home. He came to an arrangement with a qualified gas fitter to inspect and sign off on the job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts