Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, We’re having an extension built which means our distribution board will need moving , and the supplemental box for the Pod-Point.

Does anyone know if the data cable and sea cables could be extended? Or would they need complete reinstallation ?

Thanks

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
920 Posts
I would take photos of all the connections before building starts, then carefully disconnect. Then you should be able to reconnect things after building finishes if the podpoint is no further away from the mains.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is the connection on data my sparky did for the cat cable and it works

Sent from my NX629J using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would take photos of all the connections before building starts, then carefully disconnect. Then you should be able to reconnect things after building finishes if the podpoint is no further away from the mains.
It will be further away, so we’re wondering if they can be extended or would need replacing
Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the connection on data my sparky did for the cat cable and it works

Looks like he’s extended it with some standard 2 core cable ? I’m presuming that means the signal isn’t shielded, which is what I thought the cat spec was for ?
Did he extend the swa too?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
There's no problem with extending either or both cables, although it should be done more appropriately than the photo from @Br_Ranger . In my experience the cable from a CT clamp is usually shielded and that shielding is usually earthed, although I haven't seen the PodPoint one. Given the low voltage concerned it may not be in which case I'm just being pedantic, although I would at least insulate it to avoid any concerns over it touching anything else at a higher voltage.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Presumably you could buy some new reels of the same cable as before. You might have trouble fitting any crimp connectors to new cable without special tools. How is it terminated?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like he’s extended it with some standard 2 core cable ? I’m presuming that means the signal isn’t shielded, which is what I thought the cat spec was for ?
Did he extend the swa too?
Thanks

Yep I agree that my installer was a tool. Had to have him back to change something's my regular non olev electrician said wanted condemning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts