Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's happened, getting to 12 months in a Model 3 and getting the itch to jump into something else. Anyone else thinking the same.?

Thoughs were either a MG ZS EV or an egolf. Have a test drive for a ID3 on Friday but not sure I will like it enough to justify the cost.

Had a MG exclusive offer for 拢1000 deposit 拢297 a month. Cheap motoring 馃ぃ egolf prices seem high.

Webuyanycar car price for the model 3 拢35000.

Mmmmm decisions 馃う

Premium Member
Don鈥檛 get me wrong, the e-Golf is a great car, but I鈥檓 not sure I鈥檇 move from a M3 into one, unless there鈥檚 a financial or other reason driving it.

The MG looks like a good EV as well, and if the range is good for you and you like it, then why not?

Are you just bored of the M3 or?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Don鈥檛 get me wrong, the e-Golf is a great car, but I鈥檓 not sure I鈥檇 move from a M3 into one, unless there鈥檚 a financial or other reason driving it.

The MG looks like a good EV as well, and if the range is good for you and you like it, then why not?

Are you just bored of the M3 or?
Yes I'm bored, for a new car it has had to many faults and niggles to put me off. Maybe I've been luck up to now but I've never had to take a car in for warranty within the first 2 years.

Model 3 warranty work up to this point.
Rear bumper not fitted correctly.
Paint issues.
Rear roof glass replacement
Front roof glass replacement
Horn stopped working
Squeaky steering
Front truck clips missing LHS
Water in rear lights
Software issues

All fixed now but seems to be build now fix later. Plus the inconvenience of getting it to the service center, 80 mile round trip.

Drives amazing tho and not left me stranded. Sort of plays on your mind of what's next so stopped looking at it now.

Premium Member
Yes I'm bored, for a new car it has had to many faults and niggles to put me off. Maybe I've been luck up to now but I've never had to take a car in for warranty within the first 2 years.

Paint issues.
Horn stopped working
Squeaky steering
Water in rear lights
Software issues

All fixed now but seems to be build now fix later. Plus the inconvenience of getting it to the service center, 80 mile round trip.

Drives amazing tho and not left me stranded. Sort of plays on your mind of what's next so stopped looking at it now.
Yep, that would take the shine off any new car I think.

I鈥檇 go and have a drive in as many as you can, see if anything grabs you.

There are about half a dozen new EVs that I like the look of now, it鈥檚 certainly good to have a choice.

One thing that has stopped me though is if I鈥檓 honest the e-Golf is perfectly good enough for me, both in range and performance, and it would feel wrong to have any more money tied up in it in the current climate.

Like you, doesn鈥檛 stop me thinking about it or looking though!

Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
MG doesn't have climate control or pre heat ability at all. No steering wheel reach adjustment either on the ZS. Think the MG5 does have that but is missing the MG Pilot and panoramic roof and a few other bits.

I'd think the Kona Premium SE wouldn't be a bad choice.

Registered

Paint issues.
Horn stopped working
Squeaky steering
Water in rear lights
Software issues

It seems you have been quite unlucky. Build quality is very good now and quite a few other makes seem to be having issues now.

A number of Kona, iPace etc issues reported on this forum as well.

Registered
If you are thinking about the eGolf, then lease rates are quite attractive, from around 拢250pm all in, and the build quality seems to be a lot better than the iD3:

Reactions: NeilO

Registered
I鈥檇 like to try something different, but for long range work all the options seem like a lot of hassle.

We got lots of use and enjoyment from our Zoe, so I wouldn鈥檛 discount these or the e208 if that鈥檚 your thing.

I鈥檇 say definitely get a car where the app works for remote preconditioning.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, that would take the shine off any new car I think.

I鈥檇 go and have a drive in as many as you can, see if anything grabs you.

There are about half a dozen new EVs that I like the look of now, it鈥檚 certainly good to have a choice.

One thing that has stopped me though is if I鈥檓 honest the e-Golf is perfectly good enough for me, both in range and performance, and it would feel wrong to have any more money tied up in it in the current climate.

Like you, doesn鈥檛 stop me thinking about it or looking though!
My thoughts exactly, love the car but do I need it. Range wise not really, charging wise not really. Still not used to people pointing at me while I'm driving shouting TESLA!!

Test drove the egolf, perfect
Test drove the MG, perfect

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I鈥檇 like to try something different, but for long range work all the options seem like a lot of hassle.

We got lots of use and enjoyment from our Zoe, so I wouldn鈥檛 discount these or the e208 if that鈥檚 your thing.

I鈥檇 say definitely get a car where the app works for remote preconditioning.
Had two Zoe's loved them both, as long as I can set the preconditioning in the car then that would be ok.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
If you are thinking about the eGolf, then lease rates are quite attractive, from around 拢250pm all in, and the build quality seems to be a lot better than the iD3:
Would probably go down the used route for an egolf. Minimum requirements for egolf is active display and heated seats 馃ぃ Good deal tho.

Registered
I had an M3 for 5 months with ONTO then changed to a Zoe then an I3, i have also had test drives in Honda E, Mini E and Citigoe iv. I absolutely hated the Zoe, it does badly all the things the M3 does well. Number one complaint was it turning its nose up at perfectly good chargers but also because it doesn't have a proper b-mode, auto hold is unreliable and sticky, no adaptive cruise control or AEB and you have to realise theat the big screen is just infotainment I dotn think it is actually connected to the car. If you want a sports car try the Mini E. If you want tech try the Honda E. The closest comparison to the M3 is the BMW I3, it lacks the high level of software integration of the M3 but drives very nicely and has the best tuned throttle/brake/regen system after the M3. If you can find one then the Citigoe/Up/Mi Es are really nice simple fun to drive cars with no vices.

Premium Member

Paint issues.
Horn stopped working
Squeaky steering
Water in rear lights
Software issues

That was unlucky, we got our Model 3 LR in Aug 19 and our only issue has been a faulty B pillar camera and the mobile engineer came to our home and replaced. We also had another home visit for our free Homelink - but obviously that wasn't actually a fault.

I know people here are happy with them, but I could not stomach driving the MG. The dash looks like something from the 90s. But I guess it is a 拢13K car with a 拢7K battery...

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
That was unlucky, we got our Model 3 LR in Aug 19 and our only issue has been a faulty B pillar camera and the mobile engineer came to our home and replaced. We also had another home visit for our free Homelink - but obviously that wasn't actually a fault.

I know people here are happy with them, but I could not stomach driving the MG. The dash looks like something from the 90s. But I guess it is a 拢13K car with a 拢7K battery...
MG dash is ok, it does what it needs to. I don't think the interior of the model 3 is a 37k car. Just my opinion comparing it to previous 40k cars.

Registered

Paint issues.
Horn stopped working
Squeaky steering
Water in rear lights
Software issues

But it drives itself so all those build quality issues are small fry.

Registered
As an owner of an e-Niro I'd recommend you to consider it. Awesome range, very good driving assistance and build quality is top notch,
I second that. The 4+ if you can wait 6 months or so.

Registered
Not sure your MG finance deal sounds great. I bought a ZS EV last week for 拢22k - they were offering me a better deal on finance than the figures you鈥檝e quoted.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts