Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of thinking, I've sold my 30kwh Leaf, and will shortly be getting behind the wheel of a 38kwh Ioniq.

I'm then off on holiday two days later in the new car!

To anyone else who has made the move from Leaf to Ioniq: what will I find different, and need to re-learn in the Hyundai?

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,748 Posts
The main difference is the approach to regen use. You need to play around with the flappy paddles that control regen to discover the full potential. My personal preference settled down to using the paddles to set full regen in slow town congestion and one pedal drive. In open rural twisties I delete all regen and use the paddles one by one to slow for bends and back to zero regen on straights to coast as much as possible. Then on open motorways and main roads zero regen to coast as much as possible if driving manually but I also use the excellent auto cruise most of the time there. Basically, spend some time playing around with that Hyundai feature to discover its attributes and adapt to personal choice.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Get used to the Hyundai start up procedure:

Auto-hold on

LKAS off (unless you want to randomly fight the car for the wheel)

Enable cruise

Reset regen level back to how you prefer it

...on every single start.

:(
You can set your preferences for regen ( not 0) in each mode in the menu.

Mine always starts in level 3 regen now, in any driving mode, with autoregen sitting in the background.

I used to play the paddle game, coasting etc, too much fannying over a long period, no real gain, (economy was 5.2 mpkWh), but now it's level 3 all the time.

Economy hasn't been affected either.

Much more relaxing to drive.

Now 5.3 mpkWh over nearly 8k miles!😊

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can set your preferences for regen ( not 0) in each mode in the menu.

Mine always starts in level 3 regen now, in any driving mode, with autoregen sitting in the background.

I used to play the paddle game, coasting etc, too much fannying over a long period, no real gain, (economy was 5.2 mpkWh), but now it's level 3 all the time.

Economy hasn't been affected either.

Much more relaxing to drive.

Now 5.3 mpkWh over nearly 8k miles!😊
Thanks - I am looking forward to the efficiency; low 4s in the Leaf (but I think that was optimistic as the range didn't ever seem to quite match up with that economy...)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think the biggest difference is the charging port. You can't open it from the outside of the car (such a pain when you forget and have to walk back; took me ages to get used to) and it locks the cable everytime you charge (annoying especially on fast chargers when you want to quickly "escape"; I think you can switch it off).

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
If you want to stop the bongs when powering-on, plug your seatbelt in before pressing the power button!
Also remember the 12V battery is exceptionally fragile! Uder no circumstances have the radio on, or laptop plugged in, or door left open, ..., unless the car is fully on which will make sure the High Voltage charges it up. There's a whole load of guys here who have had the 12V suddenly go flat for no apparent reason! Me included.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,748 Posts
The thing that never fails to amaze me is the coasting ability. Even in D drive mode in a Leaf there is still a drag when you lift off the accelerator. I know that it's giving a bit of regen but that isn't as efficient as coasting.

But the first time that you experience coasting on a long level straight road it's like the Ioniq has been captured by a Startrek traction beam. You can travel half a mile before any noticeable speed drop or at least before you need to apply power again. Over a long journey, all those small distances gained without the use of power add up, and that is partly why the miles per kWh figures are so impressive. The Ioniq is a very slippery car. And to make use of that ability by using inertia via coasting can be very satisfying. Even though it may not save more than a few pennies a year the feelgood factor is almost priceless.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
After a lot of thinking, I've sold my 30kwh Leaf, and will shortly be getting behind the wheel of a 38kwh Ioniq.

I'm then off on holiday two days later in the new car!

To anyone else who has made the move from Leaf to Ioniq: what will I find different, and need to re-learn in the Hyundai?
You will need to get used to overtaking vehicles on the motorway again because you don't need to drive at 60mph to get decent range.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I made exactly that move 18 months ago. Range means it can be used for all the long journeys that we never dared in the Leaf. You can also put the heater on and drive at 70 - no more misty windows or kids wearing ski gear to ensure you get home. The stereo is better too. i personally think the boot was a better shape in the Leaf and the gear selector in the Ioniq is a pain. Overall though you‘ll be happy with the decision.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So how was it??
Very nice, thank you!

Positives:
  • It feels a generation newer than the Leaf
  • Very pleased with the range (around 200 before the weather started to turn; waiting to see what autumn/winter does to that) - and that's back to driving at 70 on the Motorway, which I didn't do in the Leaf!
  • Enjoying playing with some of the gadgets like the smart cruise control

Negatives:
  • Rapid charging is really disappointing - I've not seen more than about 34kw peak, and it's generally been more like 20-something kw. The Leaf would draw roughly double that, so that feels like a step backwards.
  • It doesn't have the rapid pull off the line that I enjoyed with the Leaf. It's faster once moving, but it's almost like being back in an ICE for the initial pull away.

I'm obviously enjoying it, though, as my lease mileage limit is already looking like I've underestimated it :)

Thanks again to you all for your advice!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,714 Posts
Interesting reading as a LEAF30 owner. The LEAF efficiency is genuinely measured, it's just the falling battery capacity that makes it seem otherwise. What efficiency are you getting in the Ioniq?
Interesting your comment about charging speeds - the LEAF is quicker but if you need to charge less on Rapids due to greater range and efficiency then the time spent is probably less. And if you went back to driving slowly like in the LEAF..... :devilish:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What efficiency are you getting in the Ioniq?
I think we've averaged something like 5.2 mi/kwh since August, vs 4 ish over the time we had the Leaf. (But that's not a fair comparison as winter hasn't arrived yet!)
Some trips we've seen much higher than that, though. My gut feel is it's going about 25% further on each kwh.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Ioniq 28kWh, was 5.6m/kWh yesterday morning, 4.2 m/kWh in drenching afternoon rain on M6 /detour around 36-39 closed section with lots of standing water, then dried up for 4.9m/kWh on A roads with some dual carriageway. Arrived at ferry with 5 minutes spare and journey end with 8 miles left.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts