Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Jaguar I-Pace SE
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been driving Mitsubishi Outlander PHEVs for the last 7 years and am planning to move to a full EV this year. As Mitsu has abandoned the UK market I have put together a list of about a dozen models due this year to choose from. I want something spacious like the Outlander with AWD and at least 250 mile real-world range. It's a bit frustrating that there are no dates or prices yet for some of the AWD versions of new EVs like the id.4 or Enyaq. Top of my list so far are the Nissan Ariya and Kia EV6. Audi Q4 also looks interesting but I think the range of the Quattro version may be a limiting factor. Mustang Mach-E AWD looks very expensive and reviewers have been concerned about the suspension and steering so I will definitely check that out if I decide to test drive it. Also a concern that some of the "late 2021" delivery promises may turn into "mid-2022" if the semiconductor shortages really bite. Very interested to hear about other people's test drive experiences.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hello @richardwg . You're unlikely to get an EV the size of an Outlander which will do 250 miles for an Outlander price (which you probably know if you've got your shortlist). I went from the Outlander to a Leaf+ last year and put winter tyres on over the winter (obviously) to overcome some of the compromise of 2WD. I've been very happy with the 62 Leaf. There are many decent EVs for the price of an Outlander but you might have to review your expectations on size or range.

·
Registered
Jaguar I-Pace SE
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am prepared to spend more than the price of an Outlander in order to get what I want. I think the PHEV was a real bargain when I bought it - helped by the 5k government grant. So my expectations have been reviewed and I am compromising on price!

·
Registered
525 Posts
There is very little available with the size of the Outlander and AWD, even looking ahead to the BEVs due later this year. Most SUV-type models have steeply sloping rear hatches which limit the load height, so you may need to look hard at this when comparing load spaces - for me it’s been an impossible task. Maybe the Tesla Model Y might get you there, but I’d want to see one up close to be sure.

Then you’ve got the actual real-world range issues in vehicles if that size. The poor efficiency of some models means getting 200miles with a sensible margin is currently difficult, especially if journeys are at higher speeds.

I’ve given up on replacing my Outlander PHEV directly and significantly compromised on load space, towing capability, and AWD by going for a Kia e-Niro 4+. At least I’ll have a decent range, but will also need to hire in something bigger several times a year. How long I’ll keep the Kia will be determined by how long I have to wait for a true Outlander-capable BEV replacement to come along that is closer to £50k than £100k!

·
Registered
Jaguar I-Pace SE
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, you are right. There does seem to be a fashion for sloping back windows which limits capacity. That's another area where I may have to compromise provided that the actual passenger area is spacious enough. There are rumours of a Kia Sportage EV coming, and also the new Toyota BZ3X, which both might be a more practical shape for load carrying. But not this year.

As far as range is concerned, I use the EV Database to do comparisons: EV Database. I think their ranges are more realistic. I don't do many motorway journeys so speed isn't the issue.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Vehicles like the Hyundai Ioniq 5 adn Kia EV6 are built on a platform specifically for EVs with a long wheel base and batteries incorporated into the floor so will give greater internal accommodation than ICE vehicles or PHEVs with a similar footprint. Further body styles can be delivered on the same platform, but really spacious cars and mini-vans might be a few years away yet, but even early cars are likely to have AWD and towing options.

800v charging can deliver 60 miles additional range in less than 5 mins or 10-80% battery in less than 19 mins, so making a stop every 200 miles won't impede progress too much.

This technology won't be cheap but will be available for £40-50K in the next 12 months.

To drive these new EVs will be night and day compared to an Outlander for instance.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Vehicles like the Hyundai Ioniq 5 adn Kia EV6 are built on a platform specifically for EVs with a long wheel base and batteries incorporated into the floor so will give greater internal accommodation than ICE vehicles or PHEVs with a similar footprint. Further body styles can be delivered on the same platform, but really spacious cars and mini-vans might be a few years away yet, but even early cars are likely to have AWD and towing options.

800v charging can deliver 60 miles additional range in less than 5 mins or 10-80% battery in less than 19 mins, so making a stop every 200 miles won't impede progress too much.

This technology won't be cheap but will be available for £40-50K in the next 12 months.

To drive these new EVs will be night and day compared to an Outlander for instance.
If VW ever manage to get on top of their software/firmware issues I might be tempted by the VW Buzz if it ever see the light of day. Otherwise I would be happy with the very utilitarian Tesla Cybertruck too. For me the EV6 is the wrong shape for my needs. If they were to bring out a model based on its platform with a squared back then it could a contender though.

the issue is that it still fees like it’s going to be 1-2 years until we see some of these models, but mI needed a replacement now, so could not wait.

·
Registered
Jaguar I-Pace SE
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I have a reservation on an EV6. I want to see it for real before deciding. It looks a bit low slung for my needs but I love the design.

·
Registered
860 Posts
You dont say why you want to change. The devil you know.

Is it possible to get a SUV 4WD 250ml real world range ie in winter. No expert but i doubt it. Perhaps with a 100kwh batt. Perhaps compromise a little somewhere.
Or keep the present and buy a BEV that will do 90% of your travel.

·
Registered
Jaguar I-Pace SE
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You dont say why you want to change. The devil you know.

Is it possible to get a SUV 4WD 250ml real world range ie in winter. No expert but i doubt it. Perhaps with a 100kwh batt. Perhaps compromise a little somewhere.
Or keep the present and buy a BEV that will do 90% of your travel.
It’s a fair question: Mainly because I have the opportunity to change having some money available. Plus I feel an obligation to keep cutting my carbon footprint if I can. Can’t have two cars so need to decide whether to change now or not. Main reason for wanting SUV is height. My family is all tall and I am getting older. Folding myself into a standard car is increasingly like complex and painful origami! The PHEV has been great from that point of view. It may be that I have to wait but I am looking forward to trying a few test drives to see if any of the exciting new EVs due this year could suit me.

·
Registered
860 Posts
OK so what about Jag I pace SUVish,4WD 90kwh batt, more boot space than Freelander could do a gentle 250ml and heat pump standard. 100kw charging.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The KIA EV6 looks good and with the 77kwh batt 4WD HP , boot space not quite freelander. Can tow 1600kg and has V2L Sounds great. Downside not in 2021 and doubt it will do 250ml real world although Kia do have a good reputation in that regard.

·
Registered
Jaguar I-Pace SE
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK so what about Jag I pace SUVish,4WD 90kwh batt, more boot space than Freelander could do a gentle 250ml and heat pump standard. 100kw charging.
I would love an iPace but my budget is mid50k so probably out of reach

·
Registered
Jaguar I-Pace SE
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The KIA EV6 looks good and with the 77kwh batt 4WD HP , boot space not quite freelander. Can tow 1600kg and has V2L Sounds great. Downside not in 2021 and doubt it will do 250ml real world although Kia do have a good reputation in that regard.
Where did you hear that it wouldn’t be 2021? EV database estimates 265m range for AWD and they tend to be conservative as does Kia themselves.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would love an iPace but my budget is mid50k so probably out of reach
i bet you could get into a nearly new or dealer demo for close to that.

a ‘step into’ requirement opens things up a lot more tbh so there are probably lots to look at - ID4 with the big battery?

·
Registered
Jaguar I-Pace SE
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i bet you could get into a nearly new or dealer demo for close to that.

a ‘step into’ requirement opens things up a lot more tbh so there are probably lots to look at - ID4 with the big battery?
Yes, I have just been looking at used i-Pace and could get 2020 model for that. No dates available for AWD id4 yet.

·
Registered
Tesla Model X 75 D
136 Posts
Try an Ipace first. We found the boot space of the ipace not at all useable. As it didn't have the necessary height to get bulky items in like our 5 year olds bike. We ended up getting a 2nd hand Model X for £50k, and are enjoying it. Probably swap for a model Y or cybertruck in a couple of years after the children have grown out of the gull wing doors.

·
Registered
Jaguar I-Pace SE
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Try an Ipace first. We found the boot space of the ipace not at all useable. As it didn't have the necessary height to get bulky items in like our 5 year olds bike. We ended up getting a 2nd hand Model X for £50k, and are enjoying it. Probably swap for a model Y or cybertruck in a couple of years after the children have grown out of the gull wing doors.
Hadn't thought of a secondhand Model X so thanks for that. Does Tesla handle p/ex for existing, non-Tesla cars?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hadn't thought of a secondhand Model X so thanks for that. Does Tesla handle p/ex for existing, non-Tesla cars?
yes but their prices aren't always great so worth getting alternatives. They offered me the same as WBAC for my 420 GC, and Motorway was better by about £1000

·
Registered
Jaguar I-Pace SE
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes but their prices aren't always great so worth getting alternatives. They offered me the same as WBAC for my 420 GC, and Motorway was better by about £1000
Thanks, that's very useful info. Hadn't heard of Motorway.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts