Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I used to have a Nissan Leaf and I am planning to get back into the EV world with a Tesla later in the year. In the meantime however we are due to move house in the next few months and I was wondering whether people would move their home charger with them? The people buying don't want its but also don't mind if I leave it so I can't figure out whether its more trouble than its worth to have it removed and then reinstalled?

As far as I can see I would be eligible for another one, with a discount, when I move and buy another EV? Is there a general approach to things like this amongst EV owners?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would have thought that there would be drawbacks to this. Firstly would there be a need to terminate the end of the cable currently going into your charger from the house supply? I would also imagine that for the costs involved would not differ greatly by the time you have removed and refitted your existing charger, then to go clean with a brand new charger. My other concern would be, and this depends on the charger you already have, install costs for an existing charger might be a lot higher if you need to get an earthing rod installed. Also there is the question of the warranty, would this be invalidated as it has changed registered address? There are probably others out there better qualified than I to advise you, but I would probably go with a nice new charger at my new home and use the existing charger as a nice selling point for my current home. It is fast becoming one of things people will look out for. Good luck with your research

·
Registered
237 Posts
I looked into this and read you need to seek authority from the OLEV scheme to move it as it is registered as being at your current address. The max allowed under OLEV is 2 per house (with qualifying car purchase) so you would effectively block one of the house"s slots if you took it away

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I'd move mine. I have zappis and the cost to get two of those even with the grant is considerable. Get the wiring put in, even to meet the current regs, isn't that complicated for an electrician to do. Buying a charge point that meets all the criteria to be eligible for the grant isn't cheap now, most cost at least as much as the grant so the wiring still needs to be paid for.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also need to tell Olev if you sell the original car !

·
Registered
816 Posts
I did move mine. It's a first gen Zappi, so not cheap to buy in the first place. My new house has solar, so I would have been buying a new Zappi if I'd left the old one behind. I sold my old house to my parents, who have no intention of getting an EV anytime in the foreseeable future, so it would have sat unused apart from when I visit every few months.

But it was expensive. It would have been cheaper to get a "simple" new chargepoint. And that was with me uninstalling it myself. It took the electrician most of the day to get it installed at the new house because of a long, slightly complicated cable run. Mind you, materials were dearer than a "standard" installation because he used armoured electrical and cat5 cables and a Matt:E box rather than an earth rod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts