Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading numerous threads and watched countless videos, I'm now looking at taking the EV plunge so the inevitable question arises: what to go for..
My daily work commute is about a 20 mile round trip, mostly on dual carriageway with speeds varying between 55mph and 70mph and about 2 to 3 miles suburban roads at around 30 mph.
Other trips include trips to local shops/supermarket which is no more than a 10 mile round trip max.
If we return to vague normality, I would also do between 5 and 10 trips of around 220 to 250 mile round trips (i.e. 110 miles there, 110 miles back) to see relatives/mates per year. These trips are predominently motorway miles so for example the 220 mile trip consists of about 200 motorway miles and 20 miles on A roads and B roads.
Currently we have an ancient 2005 Corsa which is on its last legs and a 2012 Nissan Note with 60,000 miles on the clock.
Ideally I'd want something that could cover all eventualities, e.g. a Kona or a new ioniq. But not sure what the best option is. I'd like to stay within 15k but could do some serious saving and maybe stretch to 20k by next year.

I've always bought second hand and then run my cars into the ground after about 10 years. I'm open to the possibility of PCP or PCH but I'm not up for paying out £300 + per month forever which is why I've always bought second hand in the past... We have a 5 year old child so a small car wouldn't suit but an e208/Corsa/Zoe might.

Ideally I'd want one car to do everything so would the old 28kwh Ioniq be able to cope with the longer journeys? I am also open to the idea of getting rid of the old Corsa, getting a lower range EV and keeping the Note for the longer trips.

On financing, could anyone make the case for me to go PCP or PCH and allay my 'paying rent for the rest of your life' fears?
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Welcome, and good to see another taking the step.

For the usage that you describe then if you are able to charge at your relatives/mates house in your round trip then a Nissan Leaf 24kWh would cover your needs completely. There's no need to be spending £thousands extra for range and a big battery in order to save 10 minutes 5 times per year.

That said I'm not recommending that you actually buy a Leaf 24 for your uses, just that you don't need to worry about range quite so much.

Ioniq 28 would be an excellent choice. Look seriously at the MG5 - you can buy a new one for around £20k, with a genuinely greater range, plus good practicality for a family vehicle.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,756 Posts
Hi OP - maybe worth giving some consideration to trying a couple of different cars for a month at a time from Onto. Then you can work out what sort of range you want vs what you actually need, and see what sort of size is most suitable before committing to something for longer or buying.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wouldn't the leaf need 2 charges on the trip up and 2 on the way back?

Have looked at the MG5 and considered it but slightly put off by what appears to be a pretty naff infotainment system plus I'd be slightly concerned with the reliability of the MG over the long term of say 5+ years....

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
After reading numerous threads and watched countless videos, I'm now looking at taking the EV plunge so the inevitable question arises: what to go for..
My daily work commute is about a 20 mile round trip, mostly on dual carriageway with speeds varying between 55mph and 70mph and about 2 to 3 miles suburban roads at around 30 mph.
Other trips include trips to local shops/supermarket which is no more than a 10 mile round trip max.
If we return to vague normality, I would also do between 5 and 10 trips of around 220 to 250 mile round trips (i.e. 110 miles there, 110 miles back) to see relatives/mates per year. These trips are predominently motorway miles so for example the 220 mile trip consists of about 200 motorway miles and 20 miles on A roads and B roads.
Currently we have an ancient 2005 Corsa which is on its last legs and a 2012 Nissan Note with 60,000 miles on the clock.
Ideally I'd want something that could cover all eventualities, e.g. a Kona or a new ioniq. But not sure what the best option is. I'd like to stay within 15k but could do some serious saving and maybe stretch to 20k by next year.

I've always bought second hand and then run my cars into the ground after about 10 years. I'm open to the possibility of PCP or PCH but I'm not up for paying out £300 + per month forever which is why I've always bought second hand in the past... We have a 5 year old child so a small car wouldn't suit but an e208/Corsa/Zoe might.

Ideally I'd want one car to do everything so would the old 28kwh Ioniq be able to cope with the longer journeys? I am also open to the idea of getting rid of the old Corsa, getting a lower range EV and keeping the Note for the longer trips.

On financing, could anyone make the case for me to go PCP or PCH and allay my 'paying rent for the rest of your life' fears?
Cheers!
Hi Broilster, well done on going for it!

I don't know anything about PCP/PCH so will pass on that.

Before thinking about individual cars, maybe look at how many cars? You have two just now, so if you keep one of them with the odd longer journey in mind, you will manage with a very affordable second hand EV to do the other things you describe. That's what we decided to in a similar situation. My old Civic sits parked 99% of the time now what with Covid and our Zoe being so much cheaper and nicer to drive, but we know we have it for any journeys longer than we're willing to do in the Zoe. Just a thought.

Another important aspect is how you will keep the car charged. Have you thought about that yet? Home charging is by far the easiest way to go.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,756 Posts
Also, have a look at and a play with abetterrouteplanner.com, if you haven’t already to see what can be expected from different cars in the real world, on specific routes and in different conditions.

Generally speaking, I would say it’s getting much easier now to make do with a car with a smaller battery that is more than enough for 99% of the time, and then just make allowances for charging stops on the few times a year that most of us do long journeys.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Thing is, we have a triplet for commuting/driving our daughter around as it cost peanuts. So as close to free motoring as you can get. Lot's of cheap Leaf 24s around now too. We still have the old diesel for occasional longer journeys. Sounds like you are not keen on the never never like myself. It's not just the monthly cost but then locked into the matrix of servicing, GAP, keeping it like new for the next owner etc...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi OP - maybe worth giving some consideration to trying a couple of different cars for a month at a time from Onto. Then you can work out what sort of range you want vs what you actually need, and see what sort of size is most suitable before committing to something for longer or buying.
What kind of monthly costs would say an ioniq incur with ONTO?
Hi Broilster, well done on going for it!

I don't know anything about PCP/PCH so will pass on that.

Before thinking about individual cars, maybe look at how many cars? You have two just now, so if you keep one of them with the odd longer journey in mind, you will manage with a very affordable second hand EV to do the other things you describe. That's what we decided to in a similar situation. My old Civic sits parked 99% of the time now what with Covid and our Zoe being so much cheaper and nicer to drive, but we know we have it for any journeys longer than we're willing to do in the Zoe. Just a thought.

Another important aspect is how you will keep the car charged. Have you thought about that yet? Home charging is by far the easiest way to go.
Yeah, I know the 'sensible' option is to keep the Note and go for a cheaper lower range ev but my 'eyes are bigger than my belly' so to speak!
We have a drive so should be able to sort out home charging though we have an ancient Wylex consumer unit with only a 60A fuse so that will need replacing before even considering getting an Ohme or Zappi....

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
What kind of monthly costs would say an ioniq incur with ONTO?

Yeah, I know the 'sensible' option is to keep the Note and go for a cheaper lower range ev but my 'eyes are bigger than my belly' so to speak!
We have a drive so should be able to sort out home charging though we have an ancient Wylex consumer unit with only a 60A fuse so that will need replacing before even considering getting an Ohme or Zappi....
Yes, it's easy to want any of the new EVs coming along! Realistically though even £20k won't buy a new EV that can do a 220 mile round trip in winter. My 52kWh Zoe managed about 120 miles in the cold January we just had here in Scotland, for example. I don't follow the second hand market, but I'm doubtful you'd get an older EV that can still do a 220 mile round trip for that either, but I would defer to anyone who follows the second hand market if I'm wrong in that.

My attitude to PCP/PCH is the same as yours, so I think in your situation I would:
1. Sort out how much it'll cost to get home charging sorted (e.g. do you have a smart meter to benefit from cheap leccy?). If possible, get that in place before you buy the car (doing that saved us a lot of heartache)
2. Find the best second hand EV you can for 15k and go for it!

[Edit] Assuming you keep the Note, of course. 60,000 miles isn't usually "old" for a modern car

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, it's easy to want any of the new EVs coming along! Realistically though even £20k won't buy a new EV that can do a 220 mile round trip in winter. My 52kWh Zoe managed about 120 miles in the cold January we just had here in Scotland, for example. I don't follow the second hand market, but I'm doubtful you'd get an older EV that can still do a 220 mile round trip for that either, but I would defer to anyone who follows the second hand market if I'm wrong in that.

My attitude to PCP/PCH is the same as yours, so I think in your situation I would:
1. Sort out how much it'll cost to get home charging sorted (e.g. do you have a smart meter to benefit from cheap leccy?). If possible, get that in place before you buy the car (doing that saved us a lot of heartache)

[Edit] Assuming you keep the Note, of course. 60,000 miles isn't usually "old" for a modern car
Do you get the gov't grant for a home charger if you haven't actually purchased the car yet?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Do you get the gov't grant for a home charger if you haven't actually purchased the car yet?
All you need is to have an order placed. We saw a car we liked, then sorted out a plan and price to put a charger in (our setup is a bit awkward) then placed the car order then got the charger then the car arrived. We had zero anxiety about being stuck with a new car on the drive that we couldn't charge or would need to go out of our way to charge.

Your situation may be different of course, so what I'm saying is not gospel for you!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Ultimately, is PCH/PCP the price folks are willing to pay to have the latest model all the time? I mean £40000 plus after 10 years seems a bit steep with nothing concrete are the end...

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Ultimately, is PCH/PCP the price folks are willing to pay to have the latest model all the time? I mean £40000 plus after 10 years seems a bit steep with nothing concrete are the end...
Depends, some time ago I looked at a Skoda Citigo for commuting, PCP £69pm, I mean I make more than that out of harvesting free passive money :ROFLMAO: but ended up being added to pension SIPP instead, boring, lol.

So yeah, cheap EV so I can make money go further as my passion is travel, well was, lol

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I thought about this and started to answer, but then I decided I'm not sure what you're asking.

Did I disappoint you by saying £20k won't buy a new 220 mile EV? If I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected.

I would never suggest you enter into PCP/PHP to get a new car, but like I said earlier, that's because I don't do it myself not because I think it's wrong somehow.

Sorry if I'm not understanding your point.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A very quick search shows £20K could buy you a used 2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite-Nav (top spec) with 3,500 miles on the clock. That would be ideal for your needs and you could do the longer trip on a full charge with plenty to spare.
Yeah, I was wondering how the e Corsa/e208 stack up against something like the Ioniq.

·
Registered
456 Posts
A very quick search shows £20K could buy you a used 2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite-Nav (top spec) with 3,500 miles on the clock. That would be ideal for your needs and you could do the longer trip on a full charge with plenty to spare.
this corsa-e? Vauxhall Corsa-e

even WLTP is lower than 220 miles at 205, and EV database estimate is 170 miles ( 120 on the motorway in winter)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought about this and started to answer, but then I decided I'm not sure what you're asking.

Did I disappoint you by saying £20k won't buy a new 220 mile EV? If I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected.

I would never suggest you enter into PCP/PHP to get a new car, but like I said earlier, that's because I don't do it myself not because I think it's wrong somehow.

Sorry if I'm not understanding your point.
Being an old fogey, I'm just not sure I 'get' shelling out £5k per annum sine die and nothing at the end of it....

1 - 20 of 72 Posts