Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning this is a bit nerdy.....
Recently I needed to travel the length of the country and back in the trusted Passat GTE. (To Goodwood and back to Aberdeenshire). The journey demonstrated the long-range capability of the car despite its modest 50L fuel tank. On the downward trip I used a tank of BP regular on the upward leg used Tesco Momentum and on both journeys started with a full 31 mile electric charge. I used Adaptive CC throughout set at 75MPH (70 really). On both journeys the car averaged 55MPG giving a remarkable 600 miles of range (almost exactly). Most of the journey in D mode but harvesting B region on appropriate sections. The car seems to want to get the battery to 12 miles electric range and holds it at that level throughout which I run down as I near the destination. It doesn't start the journey with 600 miles of range (somewhat less in fact) but thats what it iterates towards as the journey progresses as I toggle between distance covered and range remaining. Its hard to envisage a more relaxing way of covering such a long distance as its whisper quiet as it seamlessly switches between battery and petrol. And no anxiety about where I need to charge up. I have alternatives EV, Diesel or Petrol but I'd choose this every time over these for a long cross country journey. As far as I know there is no EV that can come anywhere near this range and convenience.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It is a very good car, I agree. I recently did Nottingham to Southampton and back in my GTE and like you say, it's a pleasure to drive on long journeys. I'd still rather be in a fully electric car though (I've got a 77kWh / 316mile WLTP Audi Q4 on order) because I think it's worth the couple of rapid charge stops you'd have to make on your 600 mile each way journey to avoid all that fossil fuel use. But while such fully electric cars are still very pricey and hard to justify, I do think a PHEV is a great way to be electric for local journeys at reasonable cost, with the fall-back of petrol for those occasional long journeys. And as PHEVs go, the Passat GTE is a very very nice one.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the way down we overnighted at Edinburgh so that wasn't quick. But on the way back it was 10h 30 mins door to door inc a protracted stop at TBay. 575 miles according to my records. On the way up my wife drove from TBay and because she isn't a ACC fan the economy took a bit of a dip - she has a far too variable right foot! Still in my hands deffo >600 mile range.

·
Registered
169 Posts
On the way down we overnighted at Edinburgh so that wasn't quick. But on the way back it was 10h 30 mins door to door inc a protracted stop at TBay. 575 miles according to my records. On the way up my wife drove from TBay and because she isn't a ACC fan the economy took a bit of a dip - she has a far too variable right foot! Still in my hands deffo >600 mile range.
A couple of things spring to my mind, and neither are a critism of yourself or your good lady or life choices, and I respect your freedom to choose. The 1st is 55mpg doesn't seem that great for the 21st century and a hybrid. My pure ICE was doing that 4 years ago in stop start traffic, my wife's hybrid regularly achieves almost 70mpg.
2nd Do you realise the amount of carbon you have directly released into the atmosphere in kilos is phenomenal so there's very little thought for our little blue marble planet.
Lastly, my neighbours father recently did a similar drive and developed deep Vein Thrombosis due to not stopping every couple of hours, he was lucky to survive as the clot moved from his legs to his lungs. As I point out, respectfully, it's yours and everyone's choice to live their life and choose what suits them best in their circumstances, but I do implore you, and everyone to take proper breaks, stretch the legs and think about your health.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A couple of things spring to my mind, and neither are a critism of yourself or your good lady or life choices, and I respect your freedom to choose. The 1st is 55mpg doesn't seem that great for the 21st century and a hybrid. My pure ICE was doing that 4 years ago in stop start traffic, my wife's hybrid regularly achieves almost 70mpg.
2nd Do you realise the amount of carbon you have directly released into the atmosphere in kilos is phenomenal so there's very little thought for our little blue marble planet.
Lastly, my neighbours father recently did a similar drive and developed deep Vein Thrombosis due to not stopping every couple of hours, he was lucky to survive as the clot moved from his legs to his lungs. As I point out, respectfully, it's yours and everyone's choice to live their life and choose what suits them best in their circumstances, but I do implore you, and everyone to take proper breaks, stretch the legs and think about your health.
With respect, I think you are missing whats being shown here... Its not that 55mpg is all that great but it is when you consider the fact that there were no fuel or charge stops involved. Yes the car can better that figure on shorter journeys but its the convenience of not having to refuel or recharge over 575 miles that impresses me (at least) i could have chosen to use our EV as an alternative with zero carbon footprint but it would have taken a lot longer and been far more stressful finding a working chargers for the 3 or 4 top ups required each direction. EVs have their place don't get me wrong and they are getting better all the time but they are still beaten hands down when it comes to long journeys that need to be covered quickly. My conscience is clear regarding my carbon footprint despite that 100l journey, as all our electrical energy consumed in home EV, PHEV is renewable and/or self generated. Its a whole lot better than any ICE car could do so at least we should agree on that point.

·
Registered
169 Posts
With respect, I think you are missing whats being shown here... Its not that 55mpg is all that great but it is when you consider the fact that there were no fuel or charge stops involved. Yes the car can better that figure on shorter journeys but its the convenience of not having to refuel or recharge over 575 miles that impresses me (at least) i could have chosen to use our EV as an alternative with zero carbon footprint but it would have taken a lot longer and been far more stressful finding a working chargers for the 3 or 4 top ups required each direction. EVs have their place don't get me wrong and they are getting better all the time but they are still beaten hands down when it comes to long journeys that need to be covered quickly. My conscience is clear regarding my carbon footprint despite that 100l journey, as all our electrical energy consumed in home EV, PHEV is renewable and/or self generated. Its a whole lot better than any ICE car could do so at least we should agree on that point.
I have to agree with you regarding the range anxiety and, at the moment, the flaky charging infrastructure. It is getting better and better each passing week. When ICE cars first took to the roads there was no such thing as petrol stations (or roads for that matter). Fuel was literally sold in tins dumped at the road side by anyone enterprising enough to get onto the bandwagon to buy and sell it.
Hence the phrase 'fuel dump'. EVs were in a similar situation, tho there's a lot of big players now entering the arena and the availability of electrons is rocketing.
I can envision in the not too distant future when a tipping point will be reached that fossil fuel stations will start to become rarer and rarer and the prices increase as it becomes less and less economical to make, transport and sell it, and the less that gets, sold the more expensive it is to store it because it only has a short shelf life Fuel stations will be transformed into charging stations. I recently drove from York to Oxford for a mini break then York to London and finally York to Cornwall for a week touring around. I had anxiety but these were really unfounded with just a modicum of preplanning so that our stops were frequent enough for our health as well as the health of the battery. I sometimes do miss the convenience of being able to jump into a car with a full tank and travel hundreds of miles without thinking about where to get the next gallon, but I suspect this will soon come to and end for the reasons I've outlined. May I wish you and your family my very best wishes. Regards Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts