Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Volt
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, I'm seriously tempted by a second-hand Ampera, but was wondering how the petrol engine performs ( in terms of economy) at speed. Although I do plenty of 40 or 50 mile hops at work, I also regularly travel from Manchester down to the Midlands and South Wales. Most of the time on these motorway journeys I'm sitting at 80 mph. I've read plenty of posts on here suggesting I could expect between 45-55mpg on petrol alone, but wonder if that is the result of using a very gentle right foot. I wouldn't be able to sit at 65mph on the motorway. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've not done it very often but I would expect you would be looking at mid to low 40's at 80mph constant.

I regularly do long trips of 170 miles + and the difference in journey time between keeping a constant 65mph and trying to keep a constant 80 mph is very little. The thing about an Ampera is so much information regarding range and MPG is at your fingertips, it's not long before you start to realise how much money you save by slowing down a bit. Driving an Ampera has completely changed the way I get from A - B.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I think this is pretty much what I expect to achieve on Petrol alone:
Code:
50mph: 60mpg
60mph: 50mpg
70mph: 45mpg
80mph: 40mpg
90mph: 35mpg
If you add in 35 miles of EV (electric) on each trip you will get a much better average mpg. Also the shorter the trip on ICE(Internal Combustion Engine: Petrol) the more benefit the EV chunk gives, a 70 mile (35:35) would double the ICE mpg, where as a 105 mile trip (70:35) would only be 1.5 times the ICE mpg.

So not the best long distance mpg, but if your short trips outweigh (in Mileage not number of trips!) the longer trips, you could easily be looking at lifetime averages of 100+mpg.

I do drive more than half my miles on EV, my daily commute is around 30 miles and periodically I do 300 Mile motorway trips. Today my Lifetime, over 35,000 Miles, is 114mpg.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I've not done it very often but I would expect you would be looking at mid to low 40's at 80mph constant.

I regularly do long trips of 170 miles + and the difference in journey time between keeping a constant 65mph and trying to keep a constant 80 mph is very little. The thing about an Ampera is so much information regarding range and MPG is at your fingertips, it's not long before you start to realise how much money you save by slowing down a bit. Driving an Ampera has completely changed the way I get from A - B.
That's a really important post, thanks.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I regularly do long trips of 170 miles + and the difference in journey time between keeping a constant 65mph and trying to keep a constant 80 mph is very little.
For 170 miles the difference is up to 29 minutes 25 seconds... so not that little... Whilst I also have found that I am more likely to trundle for some journeys to 'play the Efficiency game' I do still do the 3rd lane cruise when time is important.
(The usual rule still applies: Time is more valuable than money.)

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Volt
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I can live with 40mpg or thereabouts on the motorway, as the pill is sweetened by the initial 30+ 'free' miles on battery. Presumably I'll get an extra few miles worth of battery power back via regen on long journeys too, plus whatever I can squeeze out of charging points during breaks at the services en-route? Is the car still good to drive on ICE or does it struggle for power without the extra charge from the battery.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The car is still very good on ICE you still have full power (150bhp) available from engine and battery reserve, The only issue I'm aware of is that sometimes you may notice a small lag (just over half a second or so) between stamping on the peddle and the engine revving up to provide power (Possibly one of the clutches sorting themselves out), Though I think this only becomes noticeable as you get used to the Instant EV torque! It's worth test driving in both EV and in ICE modes (with depleted battery not just hold).

You won't squeeze much enroute charging in, the Ampera is limited to 16A charging and can't use the rapid chargers at motorway service stations (it's ideal for destination charging, rather than enroute charging). Charging on 16A runs at about 10mph, a full charge taking 4 hrs.

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Volt
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. That's really useful to know. I didn't realise m-way services were rapid charge only, but glad to hear the power doesn't drop away just because the battery charge has drained.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I use mine just as you describe and get 45mpg. As said above top up on route charging isn't really viable - destination and home charging is where its at with Ampera.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
As always it depends on how you drive. On petrol only, sitting at 80mph you can get upto 45-50mpg, but that assumes you are at a constant speed. Once you start varying speed a lot, that's when it drops off.
But overall it's very easy and relaxing to drive.
In heavier traffic just go with the flow, but on an empty motorway you can tramp along the outside lane with everyone else.

·
Registered
183 Posts
For 170 miles the difference is up to 29 minutes 25 seconds... so not that little... Whilst I also have found that I am more likely to trundle for some journeys to 'play the Efficiency game' I do still do the 3rd lane cruise when time is important.
(The usual rule still applies: Time is more valuable than money.)
@Parax That is assuming you can average 80mph. I did say "Tyring to keep a constant 80mph". If you settle for 65mph you are far less likely to keep accelerating and decelerating whereas on most roads in the UK an average 80mph is nigh on impossible and not forgetting illegal.

·
Registered
183 Posts
@Parax what are you on, I wouldn't imply for a moment it'll make you impotent, nor did I say I drive slower. I said it has changed the way I get from A-B. I may well plan a lunch stop for a 1hr re-charge for example or leave earlier to avoid traffic, I try to maintain a constant speed rather than accelerate / decelerating.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
@Parax ... I did say "Tyring to keep a constant 80mph"....
likewise I said "up to".

I replied because I disagree with changing the question about the car to an answer about changing the driver... What a new driver wants is a no compromise car, not a car that requires the driver to change in any way. Whilst you may in the end change your driving style that is not required initially. And whilst you might prefer driving slower or stopping more than you used to, that doesn't really encourage new buyers to try it...

In summary, the question "what mpg at 80" doesn't really need a "just drive at 65" reply.

·
Registered
183 Posts
@Parax This is ridiculous, I have obviously touched a nerve. I answered the question in my very first paragraph "I've not done it very often but I would expect you would be looking at mid to low 40's at 80mph constant"

I then spoke about my own experiences "The thing about an Ampera is so much information regarding range and MPG is at your fingertips, it's not long before you start to realise how much money you save by slowing down a bit. Driving an Ampera has completely changed the way I get from A - B."

A no point do I imply that you need to change your driving style and or need to make compromises.

I apologise if you have read anything else into my post, It was not meant to be in any way negative.

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
@Parax This is ridiculous, I have obviously touched a nerve. I answered the question in my very first paragraph "I've not done it very often but I would expect you would be looking at mid to low 40's at 80mph constant"

I then spoke about my own experiences "The thing about an Ampera is so much information regarding range and MPG is at your fingertips, it's not long before you start to realise how much money you save by slowing down a bit. Driving an Ampera has completely changed the way I get from A - B."

A no point do I imply that you need to change your driving style and or need to make compromises.

I apologise if you have read anything else into my post, It was not meant to be in any way negative.
I agree with your point, I used to drive around at the same speed as every other car in the fast lane, the Volt is such a relaxing place to be that sitting at 65mph on the motorway no longer seems boring and is infact the way I would NOW rather drive.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I regularly do long trips of 170 miles + and the difference in journey time between keeping a constant 65mph and trying to keep a constant 80 mph is very little.
Why is this relevant? why write it? It is an implication. it implies that 65 is just as good* as 80. (or "very little" difference). in reality it's 30 minutes difference. which in anywhere else in the day is not often considered "very little".

You responded with .
If you settle for 65mph
I think that constitutes a change of driving style.

I'm happy to accept you didn't intend to write this, but you did, and I responded to it, and now we are here.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Stop putting words in my mouth I did not say I didnt intend to write it!

At least I dont need to go back deleting my posts like you have.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
At least I dont need to go back deleting my posts like you have.
I deleted one post purely to rephrase it.

to be honest all of this after Lee's post needs deleting.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Lol you guys. Let's be honest, in our 20's and 30's with ice cars it was 90 in the outside lane always. Getting an Ampera in your 40's / 50's slowly over several months morphs you into your dad!! You think not, but it will happen. Before you know it you will be having highest mpg competitions with your Dad in his Honda / Toyota / Nissan.

:D

M

1 - 20 of 77 Posts