Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many mpg are people getting from their hybrid or phev Ioniq on longer runs?
I'll be driving way beyond the range of the PHEV every day so want to know the real numbers not what you can get driving mostly on electric.

I'm not interested in comments that I should be getting a BEV, I've got two but I've had to change jobs and will be getting a company car, letting my BEV isn't an option.
The boss won't spend the money needed to get a BEV, well not for a new employee, but I should be able to get a hybrid/phev.
I'll be driving 30k plus miles each year so it's not good use of a hybrid but I'm not in a position to push things any further. The numbers are hard to make stack up for an EV when there are so many good deals available on ice right now.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,160 Posts
45-50mpg from memory in the basic hybrid on the motorway if you aren't careful with your right foot but also aren't doing stupid speeds either. You can undoubtedly do better if you try but personally I find it too boring. At slower speeds I believe my average was in the low-mid 60's. Both figures were comparable to what I previously got in a Prius, I remember that much.

As much as it goes against most people's thoughts on here, it is probably worth just getting the hybrid and not the PHEV for your usage, if you are regularly going to be going far beyond the electric range there. Makes the car cheaper, less kit to go wrong, and you're carrying around less weight which should probably help the fuel efficiency a little.

There are some deals out there on the EVs though. If you think you are better suited with an EV, I would say try asking, and emphasise the savings on fuel expenses and improved reliability for example. Definitely worth a try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would also get the self pleasing hybrid, the plug-in variant of Ioniq is only really suited to warm countries and driven mainly on electricity. The additional cost of plug-in kit is indeed substantial if there aren't big rebates from the government against the self pleasing version.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts