Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've seen 400+ mpg quoted for the i3. Best my Rex can do, £ for £, is 120mpg. The unit price of electricity in N Ire is 18p inc vat; ~50% more expensive than E&W; but even allowing for that, where do BMW get the 400+ figure from...a solar panel user?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like a lot of sales hype i guess. All in all she's some car, accurate hype or not. I got back in the Range Rover and it felt like a major step back in time and refinement. The kids will miss it but i won't, especially not the £100 tank fills to travel 400 miles (£140 before the recent diesel price drop!)

·
The best there is at what I do
10,266 Posts
I've done over 5000 miles on a gallon of fuel and climbing, for an EV mpg is irrelevant.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I like taking electricity in kWh to petrol equivalent. £2 of electricity is 2 Lltrs of fuel or rounding up 1/2 a gallon. If I can travel 80 miles of a charge that is 160 mpg.... So, although it cost more to own, I can off set the fuel saving. (man maths 101)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,489 Posts
i've seen 400+ mpg quoted for the i3. Best my Rex can do, £ for £, is 120mpg. The unit price of electricity in N Ire is 18p inc vat; ~50% more expensive than E&W; but even allowing for that, where do BMW get the 400+ figure from...a solar panel user?
It's not a petrol-equivalent figure, like the EPA's MPGe figures. It is purely how much petrol it uses on the test cycle, which is a 'fix. For PHEVs the nedc cycle is basically meaningless as it is totally dependent on your particular usage pattern - that is to say it is even MORE meaningless than other NEDC figures!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts