Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My normally rock solid and bug free car showed me speed in Mph and range in km earlier. Bit wierd and I assume it will fix itself overnight.

Registered
That should be an option. Many people navigate in metric but stick with mph for speed for ease of sticking to speed limits where they're still in mph.
I don't know anyone in the UK who navigates in metric. Why would anyone do that? If you're sat on the motorway doing 70mph and have 140 miles to do, you can easily work out in your head that it'll take 2 hours if you maintain that speed. You can keep tabs on range expectations too if range is in miles. It's an overcomplication to mix units.

EGGY
Maybe explains why I'm suddenly getting the "exceed speed limit" warning when I'm doing 25 in a 30

Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
On Wednesday evening my car was slowing down for traffic on the left occasionally as it should do for traffic on the right. When I first got in I hadn't closed the drivers door fully and it flashed up with the passenger side front door open for a few seconds.
I think the ota update a month or so ago upset a few things.
I've had a few issues since then. They don't last longer than the next restart, mostly less, but it's not as solid as it was after the 2.1 update. I was thinking today that I need to email the local dealer and ask them to report back to VW that it's not quite right again.

Registered
ID.3 1st
Yes but a 100km ride sounds so much more impressive than a 62 mile one.
Yes, runners and cyclists do also use km to make the numbers sound bigger 馃う鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Corsa-e 2020
You should try flying where you navigate in nautical miles, measure speed in knots, visibility in metres and use feet for altitude.
Don鈥檛 forget to add that when flying through Chinese airspace your flight level is in metres and you need to convert to feet. It gets even more interesting as you descend into Hong Kong and you drop from flight levels to altitudes and are then handed over to HK ATC and you have to revert back to feet.

Also, your wind speed may be reported in knots or metres/second. Your fuel will be delivered in kg or lbs but will be charged in litres or US gallons or Imperial gallons based on the specific gravity at the time of delivery. Visibility is reported in metres or kilometres or feet or nautical miles. Runway length is reported in feet or metres, just be careful when calculating your stopping distance or take off distance available.

I could go on but I鈥檒l save it for the book.

Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
I wish there was a 'hybrid' mode for Google maps. I want it to say things like 'Turn Left in 200 metres' not yards, because I can't think in imperial units. But having the distance to destination in miles is handy with speeds being in MPH and the car's range being in MPH. Even in an ICE car you can still get range anxiety, and want to avoid paying stupid money for fuel at a motorway services :ROFLMAO:

Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
I want it to say things like 'Turn Left in 200 metres' not yards, because I can't think in imperial units.
Treat yards as metres - the difference is within GPS error 馃槈

edit: thought of another way, the difference is a lot less than you鈥檒l travel in the time it takes for the instruction to be played out 馃槉

Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
Haha true! Yards are fine... feet and 'half a mile' aren't. Like others, my concept of distance is based completely around metres because of sports- in my case, rowing, where 500 metres is a quarter of the standard race, and you get very well acquainted with how far it is! I have to mentally convert half a mile to metres every time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don鈥檛 forget to add that when flying through Chinese airspace your flight level is in metres and you need to convert to feet. It gets even more interesting as you descend into Hong Kong and you drop from flight levels to altitudes and are then handed over to HK ATC and you have to revert back to feet.

Also, your wind speed may be reported in knots or metres/second. Your fuel will be delivered in kg or lbs but will be charged in litres or US gallons or Imperial gallons based on the specific gravity at the time of delivery. Visibility is reported in metres or kilometres or feet or nautical miles. Runway length is reported in feet or metres, just be careful when calculating your stopping distance or take off distance available.

I could go on but I鈥檒l save it for the book.
And then you go to America where atmospheric pressure is measured in inches of Pepsi... (or more accurately mercury but you know, not as American sounding)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts