Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to purchase a September 2018 Passat GTE Advance shortly. One thing I stupidly forgot to check out which has just come into my brain this evening is can the digital speedometer change from MPH to KPH? I drive a lot in both MPH and KPH countries and it would be good to have a very clear speed read out in the relevant units.

The speedometer on the Active Instrument display on a Peugeot 2008 I hired earlier this year obligingly completely changed the speedometer dial from one unit to the other. Other cars I have been driving, such as Passats with a conventional set of dials, just change the numeric readout in the information display between the speedometer and the rev counter.

Would be most appreciative if someone could let me know how the conversion system works on the GTE.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Settings menu will change mph/kph for Euro travel easily on Discovery Pro and AID. Even having both displayed in dial and digital formats. Also switching the lights over is a mere press of a few menu keys. Euro sat nav maps was spot on too. Pretty sure you won't be left wanting.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Settings menu will change mph/kph for Euro travel easily on Discovery Pro and AID. Even having both displayed in dial and digital formats. Also switching the lights over is a mere press of a few menu keys. Euro sat nav maps was spot on too. Pretty sure you won't be left wanting.
That's interesting. On the Golf AID it only changes the digital read out rather than the dials.

But as you say, it is very good for continental driving overall and switching the lights also switches the adaptive cruise control to scan on the other side to avoid undertaking - a really nice touch. I found maps to be excellent as well and it reminds you of national speed limits every time you cross a border.

Wrote this a while back about my first European trip: Road trip to Europe

And there is some European driving chat here too: Driving GTE in Europe

·
Registered
678 Posts
The dials on the Mk7 GTE have mph and kph so you can use either. For added reassurance you can bring up the digital speedometer which can be set to kph if you change the unit setting on the head unit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really appreciated - and thank you all very much. The information on the continental driving is also much appreciated - no more sticky patches on the headlights!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Did all my settings changes whilst waiting to disembark off the ferry. Really easy.

AID dial shows both mph and kph. Digital does either. AAC has the speed set in the AID display too. Sat Nav with Country speed limit display is really helpful, although having it in AID map than the centre screen map would be better.

Despite having the headlamps on the right side, still get a flash from oncomers in UK and France as they think four LEDS up front is too bright! But they are perfect for me!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just want to echo what everyone's saying from my experience - I also found that it automatically switches the lights for driving on the right (& gives you a message to confirm it) when it senses you're on the continent!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Just want to echo what everyone's saying from my experience - I also found that it automatically switches the lights for driving on the right (& gives you a message to confirm it) when it senses you're on the continent!
Will avoid switching manually in the tunnel next time, didn't realise it was automatic!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eventually bought a 2017 GTE Advance with Active Instrument Display. My experience is the same as GTE Jesper with the Golf Active Instrument Display. Changing the units only changes the digital readout not the dial unlike the `Peugeot AID. The consumption can also be changed to km/litre or litres/100km from mph. Also on the car I have the LEDs are switched by an instruction not automatically - but the seems very easy to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts