Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting characteristic I've noticed - on my GTE for quite some time I've noticed that the shifting from 1-2 or 2-3 when cold in electric mode has been a bit 'harsh'. Not a really 'bad' harsh, but noticeable and only happening when cold. I wrote it off as a characteristic of the gearbox. However, I had the oil changed recently at 82,000 miles and the harsh shift has all but disappeared!

The odd thing is I did have the DSG oil changed when I bought the car - then at 49,000 miles - but I noticed the harsh shifting after that. Maybe the garage did some kind of recalibration, or they were more thorough in pumping the old oil out or used a better replacement oil.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Coming from an Jag XF with a ZF 6 speed box, it was always very much the same. ZF themselves recommended changing the oil at 60k intervals depending on usage. Almost everyone recommended using genuine ZF lifeguard fluid and the filter was built into the sump which should be changed at the same time.

ZF also strangely did not recommend power flushing the box as there was a risk of dislodging particles in the box which have settled and causing more issues, they instead just said to let it drain naturally and replace, there was also a complicated filling procedure as even temperature of the fluid could affect filling level.

Going off this, it's possible the DSG box also has some of these traits, and some people don't follow the procedures fully. I'd always use the genuine fluid no matter how expensive it might seem at the time.

Had a brief look and it appears that the schedule for these boxes is every 40k.

It's also very possible that it's in your mind somewhat, the fluid will degrade slowly over time and when it suddenly gets swapped out for new, it will and should seem a lot better all of a sudden. Whereas over time you're less likely to notice it gradually getting worse.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,834 Posts
I'm changing mine in the spring. Mileage won't be far off 40k and it'll be a few months short of being 5years old.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Don't think 5 years is an issue. All of the other models with 40k dsg service just go on mileage.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't think 5 years is an issue. All of the other models with 40k dsg service just go on mileage.
You might not think so, but it depends on useage. Motorway runners will have little to no wear on the box compared to one that's spent it's whole life changing gears in town.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,834 Posts
You might not think so, but it depends on useage. Motorway runners will have little to no wear on the box compared to one that's spent it's whole life changing gears in town.
Yes, my thinking too. As the mileage is below average, it may have been used mostly for short urban commuting with lots of gearbox activity.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, my thinking too. As the mileage is below average, it may have been used mostly for short urban commuting with lots of gearbox activity.
ZF (who make boxes for Jaguar/land Rover/bmw), even have it down as different service schedule for those used mostly in town.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Gear changes aren't the only thing that wears the box down. The pump is constantly providing pressure due to the hydraulic circuits and the gears wear too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts