Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I have a lease, but with residual prices as they are, a lease is the wrong choice.

If my crystal ball was a bit better polished last year i would have PCP’d instead.
I've said it a few times on this forum, an EV is like a house almost just less expensive.
I still think in the current climate it's best to PCP and lock in a price asap.
Worst comes to the worst it comes out the same in the end of the price drops like a rock. But even then I think a PCP would still see you ahead.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
This again highlights why leasing is such a poor choice and has been for a few years financially as the residuals have been helped by lack of supply, which isn't abating any time soon, and demand, taking out that loan or pcp means come the end of the term and balloon payment you have a car still for much less than jumping into another new vehicle and the resale value helps bring down that outlay over the term massively.
I agree the Tesla prices are ridic but they are just going with the supply and demand mantra.
Keep supply constrained and prices are good for everyone. BMW did it with the mini years ago. Land rover did it with the range rovers for a few years.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Meh, We have just extended our M3 business lease from 24 months to 36 and increased the total mileage from 20k to 50k. We are 12 months in. Very happy with the car and will now put a lot of miles on it. Monthly costs has gone down by £40 and I put this all down to phenomenal residuals. At 36 months we have an out of basic warranty M3 which we will happily hand back and start again. For us leasing Tesla M3/Y is a no brainer.
As a business though don't you get that's money down the drain when the business could have pcp/outright purchased and then at 3yrs sold it to bring down the TCO over the period?
Say it's £500pcm, that's £18k over 3yrs so even if you sold the m3 for £20k at the end you'd be break even on the balloon payment almost but let's be brutally honest, they are selling at 3yr old for the price they cost when originally purchased if not a bit more due to demand...
So it's entirely possible the company could have ended up spending nothing on the term once the car is sold.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Due to the mental market conditions my ZS EV has depreciated by £91 per month over the past 31mths/35k miles (cash purchase).

Pretty sure leasing was about £300/mth when I bought it.

Leasing works best when supply is fat and manufacturers throw in hidden discounts (like the 2018 deal for 225xe at £229/mth 1+17 & 1+23)
Those were good deals then for compliance cars and don't forget the £200 leaf deals as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts