Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
1,351 Posts
Model 3 and Model Y have increased in price right across the board between £2000 and £2500 each today...

Are they worth their new asking prices??

Last year My 3LR cost less than today's RWD.
And £10,500 less than what it would cost to buy again today.
I'm as happy as pig in shit. Took delivery of our 21 Plate Model 3 LR December 4th, and our 22 Model Y LR March 1st. If we had to buy them again now, in our specs (3 paint, 19" wheels and White seats, Y White seats) we would have to pay £15k more.

I am pretty sure with 8k on the 3 and 4k on the Y we could sell them both now for more than we paid.

· Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yeah I think the end of chrome was due to customer feedback rather than a "downgrade", I actually like chrome on the other colours but happy with black against the white paint.

Someone commented on the latest RSEV video to basically say they're all £10k too expensive and with the exception of the Performance I think they're reasonably correct!

· Registered
1,807 Posts
In what way isn’t it?

Chrome is matter of opinion, and should be an option.
Agree Chrome would be nice as an option, but i do not like it, docs show its the same motor but 0 to 60 is 0.7 Secs slower as car has heavier battery (+5 kWh).
I also think that the RWD and LR are overpriced.
Loving the M3 but i shudder to think what a brand new one will be come Sept 2025 when my current lease is up or what price used models will be in case i decide to purchase my Lease car from Lex to keep.

· Premium Member
ID.4 GTX & M3 LR
11,320 Posts
When we started looking at replacing my wife’s car, and she’d decided she wanted to go BEV too, we ‘budgeted’ £30-40k as she was thinking something like a Kona or e-Niro. She started looking at Tesla’s at the top end of that budget then decided that she would spend the extra and get the M3 LR as she was still anxious about range and public charging on her long work journeys.

Fast forward to today, there’s not much chance she’d replace the M3 LR at £58k, she’d be in a BMW i4 or something, especially now that she has a better understanding of the realities of public charging.

· Registered
898 Posts
When we started looking at replacing my wife’s car, and she’d decided she wanted to go BEV too, we ‘budgeted’ £30-40k as she was thinking something like a Kona or e-Niro. She started looking at Tesla’s at the top end of that budget then decided that she would spend the extra and get the M3 LR as she was still anxious about range and public charging on her long work journeys.

Fast forward to today, there’s not much chance she’d replace the M3 LR at £58k, she’d be in a BMW i4 or something, especially now that she has a better understanding of the realities of public charging.
The standard range can get 300+ miles though, £48,490

That's the deal right there. If you can drive more than 300 miles without needing to stop you have an iron bladder and or are the only car in the country.

· Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

That's the deal right there. If you can drive more than 300 miles without needing to stop you have an iron bladder and or are the only car in the country.
Truth be told, some people are gonna be new to the idea of Tesla even today, and they'll see the cars at today's prices and be able to decide for themselves if they feel it's worth it but many of us here will always be comparing to what we originally paid, and also the features we might have got at the time that are no longer there. I felt my long range was literally the perfect spec at the perfect price and the then SR+ should have been £35,000.

The performance seems like such a good price today now it's only £4,000 more than the long range, compared to being £13,000 more 15 months ago.

· Premium Member
ID.4 GTX & M3 LR
11,320 Posts

Not sure I follow?

We can’t get 300 miles out of our LR, driving it like an actual car, so I’m sceptical about the SR. I know that I could get 300 miles out of the GTX, but I would get bored trying and/or need the loo, and in any event it’s not necessary.

This is about my wife choosing a car now, with other options available and factors other than range and charging networks coming into play. 0-60 isn’t important to her, but things how she ‘feels’ driving it and also ‘pride of ownership’ are.

Don’t get me wrong, she’s happy with her M3, I like it too, she has no plans to sell it. It was just a point that if she were buying today with prices as they are she might choose differently.

· Registered
1,807 Posts
I personally think 200 ish real world motorway miles is enough, certainly for me.
It’s good availability of fast chargers that i want, if a journey is going to become a ball ache, you can bet it’s related to a charger.
My SR+ with LFP can give me this, so more than happy :) .
Regarding pricing, the Model 3 is now priced above what i would be prepared to pay for it.

· Premium Member
ID.4 GTX & M3 LR
11,320 Posts
I personally think 200 ish real world motorway miles is enough, certainly for me.
It’s good availability of fast chargers that i want, if a journey is going to become a ball ache, you can bet it’s related to a charger.
I always said to myself that 200 real world miles range would be plenty, as long as there was charging available, the car can go longer than me truth be told. 😂

· Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 RWD
524 Posts
250+ miles with a nice chill drive. 300 is a bit of stretch.
Yes, that's about right.

We have done 3 trips from North Devon to London area in the last few weeks, and the Heathrow Hilton SC is perfectly positioned for a charge at 185 miles into the journey, and easy then for either way on the M25.

We have been arriving there with 25 to 30 % battery (2022 RWD).

Bonus is it's still 28p per kWh as well! 😊

· Registered
898 Posts
Regarding pricing, the Model 3 is now priced above what i would be prepared to pay for it.
Which is why you can be as comfortable in a Tesla with 150 miles range as you would be with any other EV with 300 miles range currently as the non-Tesla network is so poor.

· Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
1,136 Posts
Which is why you can be as comfortable in a Tesla with 150 miles range as you would be with any other EV with 300 miles range currently as the non-Tesla network is so poor.
I don't agree with your sentiment about the non-Tesla network. We own both a Model 3 LR and a ZOE ZE50. On our recent longer journeys (to the Highlands and France) with the Tesla about 20% of our charges have been on the Tesla network. We know which non-Tesla networks we can rely on and don't have problems. To castigate all other networks, as a Tesla driver, is to deprive yourself of some of the best charging opportunities. For example, there isn't a single Tesla rapid on the Cherbourg peninsula, but there are chargers that you can charge the Tesla at in most small towns and many villages. It's easy to keep the car charged whilst you stop for lunch or dinner, without having to make a trip to Caen or Mont St Michel for the Tesla rapids.

We use the ZOE for many longish journeys (but no longer the longest). It often adds 10 to 30 minutes to a journey, due to slower charging, but it's no real hassle if you are not in a rush.

Of course, if you set off with no experience and plug into BP Pulse charge points and expect success then ...

· Registered
3,782 Posts
This again highlights why leasing is such a poor choice and has been for a few years financially as the residuals have been helped by lack of supply, which isn't abating any time soon, and demand, taking out that loan or pcp means come the end of the term and balloon payment you have a car still for much less than jumping into another new vehicle and the resale value helps bring down that outlay over the term massively.
I agree the Tesla prices are ridic but they are just going with the supply and demand mantra.
Keep supply constrained and prices are good for everyone. BMW did it with the mini years ago. Land rover did it with the range rovers for a few years.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts