Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got them or had them fitted after purchase.

Inwas wondering if my car would have to be drilled to attach and do they really help to prevent stone chips?

·
Registered
394 Posts
They should already have rudimentary stumpy flaps fitted as standard. Are you talking about big jobbies? If so there are down sides, when reversing they often get caught up in detritus and then they stick up folded and rest onto the tyres making a big mess. Also it is hard enough at the front to get to the DRL sockets, big mud flaps would make it worse.
The stumpy ones are adequate for me thanks, even driving through the tiny New Forest roads with all the horse manure...

Reactions: JohnMars

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I think I’m beginn8ng to think that way too, it’s the fear of not keeping my car pristine but like in an article I read, what’s the point in a car if your going to obsess about keeping it new, if you use a car daily it will get scratches and dings .

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes John, cars are meant to be used. My family seem to think my cars are some sort of canteen on wheels.
After a trip, there are so many crumbs and other assorted bits and pieces on the seats and floor, they always seem to get the crumbliest cakes and rolls when on a trip.
They say a trip makes them hungry-I just think they are a starve-gutted lot. Funny thing though, where my little 6-year old granddaughter sits is the cleanest of all of them, even though she is autistic.

Reactions: JohnMars

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Has anyone got them or had them fitted after purchase.

Inwas wondering if my car would have to be drilled to attach and do they really help to prevent stone chips?
John

I have them on both a LEAF24 and a LEAF30. There is all of one hole to drill per side IIRC, so not exactly hard to fit. They are not the flappy sort but the moulded ones that are closer to the bodywork. They make a noticable difference to the mud thrown up on the cars (can't comment on chipping), and no noticeable difference to consumption.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John

I have them on both a LEAF24 and a LEAF30. There is all of one hole to drill per side IIRC, so not exactly hard to fit. They are not the flappy sort but the moulded ones that are closer to the bodywork. They make a noticable difference to the mud thrown up on the cars (can't comment on chipping), and no noticeable difference to consumption.
Are these the ones?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Yes, but if you keep your eyes open you can often pick up a set for half that amount. :devilish:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been toying with the same idea and you can get them on ebay for about £90 - do you need to take the wheels off to fit them (you probably do for the rears) but the front wheels could be turned out ?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I've been toying with the same idea and you can get them on ebay for about £90 - do you need to take the wheels off to fit them (you probably do for the rears) but the front wheels could be turned out ?
Precisely. The longest part of the job is taking the wheels off. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
230 Posts
@JohnMars I bought a set when i had my 24kw leaf i only fitted the fronts and there was no drilling to be done. I never got around to fitting the rears as you had to remove the wheel and i just never had the time. If memory serves me right you have to drill one hole i will check later as they are still in my shed somewhere.
I now have a 40kw leaf so have no need for the rears if you would like them for a small donation and postage you can have them.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks graham, I don’t know what to do now as someone else told me they don’t do much and the hole is a rust point!

did you find they did much?

I assumed all the 30kw leaf flaps were like traditional rubber hanging flaps but online they seem to be low profile plastic things moulded to the shape of the car?

·
Registered
822 Posts
The hole is drilled into the lip of the plastic rear bumper so unlkely to rust ;)
Fitted them to my 30 and now my 40, takes no time.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I assumed all the 30kw leaf flaps were like traditional rubber hanging flaps but online they seem to be low profile plastic things moulded to the shape of the car?
They are rigid plastic mouldings and a compromise between function and aerodynamics. The "traditional rubber hanging flaps" you describe are simpler and possibly more effective, but at a high price aerodynamically and in terms of catching in reverse.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts