Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq Sportline 80 (on order)
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a multi voltage Granny lead like the juice booster 2. And I was wondering if any of you use one or any alternatives that are around.
I was thinking of one with multiple plugs rather than carrying different cables for each scenario and I was looking at them because I wanted a general 3 pin plug, blue camping socket and red three phase 32a for charging at work.
I know the juice booster type cables are expensive, but it is neat and relatively compact compared to having many different leads.

I've seen the VW/Skoda/Audi version, but the information is not that easy to understand, and there are two types, a 32a single phase and a 16a three phase.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I presume you don't mean multiple voltages granny leads, just one with different connections. When I purchased my EVSE I ordered one with the Blue 16A 'Caravan' connector and I made up a short adaptor cable with a 13A plug on one end and a Blue 16A socket on the other end. It works ok, but you have to be aware that the 13A plug doesn't have the temperature sensor that a proper 13A plugged EVSE would have. I also have to ensure that I select the correct charging current on the EVSE (10A maximum) when using the 13A plug. Does your car have a 3 phase charger? Most are just single phase.

·
Registered
275 Posts
A Tesla UMC 2 should work cost around £200 from eBay plus about £40 per adapter from Tesla

Just don’t try to plug a Zoe into a 32A red commando with a Gen 1 UMC…..(I can’t find the link but its bad)

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq Sportline 80 (on order)
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I presume you don't mean multiple voltages granny leads, just one with different connections. When I purchased my EVSE I ordered one with the Blue 16A 'Caravan' connector and I made up a short adaptor cable with a 13A plug on one end and a Blue 16A socket on the other end. It works ok, but you have to be aware that the 13A plug doesn't have the temperature sensor that a proper 13A plugged EVSE would have. I also have to ensure that I select the correct charging current on the EVSE (10A maximum) when using the 13A plug. Does your car have a 3 phase charger? Most are just single phase.
I suppose I should have been a bit clearer in how I wrote that.
What I am looking for is a portable evsc that can handle both 230v single phase and 415v 3 phase.
I am buying a Skoda Enyaq and it can handle 11kw 3 phase power as well as single phase. I would like a 32a 3 phase if possible, so that I can use it at work with little hassle, or multiple adaptors for it to fit.
A Tesla UMC 2 should work cost around £200 from eBay plus about £40 per adapter from Tesla

Just don’t try to plug a Zoe into a 32A red commando with a Gen 1 UMC…..(I can’t find the link but its bad)
Don't worry I am not after a zoe. It's a bit too small for my family needs as this will be the main car. Does the Tesla model 3 UMC work with all type 2 cars then? I thought it was a Tesla specific connection.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I suppose I should have been a bit clearer in how I wrote that.
What I am looking for is a portable evsc that can handle both 230v single phase and 415v 3 phase.
I am buying a Skoda Enyaq and it can handle 11kw 3 phase power as well as single phase. I would like a 32a 3 phase if possible, so that I can use it at work with little hassle, or multiple adaptors for it to fit.

That's not a voltage difference at all, though. Three phase voltage is measured phase to phase, single phase is measured phase to neutral. If you measure L1, L2 or L3 to neutral on a three phase supply it's exactly the same voltage as a single phase supply.

That's why someone earlier suggested a Tesla UMC, as that has a four pole relay, and a three phase cable and can be fitted with a three phase commando adapter lead from Tesla for ~£40.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
R-EVC charger

It might be worth looking at the R-EVC charger, looking at the graphics it looks like it works on either single phase or 3 phase and the write up says they sell adaptors. They are based in the Czechia republic. I purchased one of their single phase chargers years ago and it is still going strong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts