Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now paired my Samsung Galaxy Note via SAP and so far it is working but I don't have any phonebook yet... however, that is not the issue here.

I don't know how to play music or my audiobooks on my phone through Bluetooth. I have plugged in a minijack and played through Aux but it would be so much better to not to have to plug in.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Paul, as far as I can see, the car is not configured to play music through bluetooth. I would always advise using a USB cable to connect anyway, as Music played through Bluetooth is usually of a lower quality in my experience that a cable. Also, you have the benefit of charging your phone, which having an Iphone is essential!!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that however I find playing music through Bluetooth to be a great benefit in the Nissan Leaf. I can get in the car and immediate start to play music (or my Audible books in my case) immediately even pausing and controlling the playback through the centre console. Not so with the Ampera I am sorry to say. I have to plug in first and that become quite a pain if you are getting in and out a lot as I do occasionally.

It certainly isn't a major issue by any stretch but it is a surprise and a bit of an omission that I would like to have seen.

As for quality... I think you would have to be a bit of a music buff to notice, or even care, about any quality difference you might hear through Bluetooth. I don't disagree that Bluetooth can be lower quality but it has never bothered me even when using good quality headphones... perhaps I am in the minority on that one though ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Paul,

I agree that it is a bit of a pain having to plug your phone in and would be nice for it to start playing as soon as you get in the car a la Renault/Nissan.

However, I think I am right in saying that none of Vauxhalls bluetooth systems are configured to play music. I would agree with Benedict that the charging benefit of plugging your phone in to the USB far outweighs this.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Point taken... :) the charging aspect is important and if I am going to be playing through BT and still plugged in to charge then I might as well just have the one cable! :roll:

·
Premium Member
11,293 Posts
Paul C

You could add a bluetooth audio receiver in the console box and connect to aux in and 12v power. This would not be as good as a proper integrated solution but might suit your needs.

I have a Motorola one I got in USA which is good quality, there are lots on eBay but not so sure re quality of some ;-)

Regards

Paul R

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul, that is a great idea. Thanks.

I am going to the USA for a few weeks in September. Perhaps I could find one there. :)

·
Premium Member
11,293 Posts
My Motorola is EOL so I got a good deal at Radioshack :)

Belkin still do one that has good reviews, except range but that would not be an issue in a car! There is one just about to end on eBay at 9.99 if you fancy a punt!

Paul R

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
I've got a Nokia Bluetooth receiver in the car plugged into the aux in, but the trouble is if I connect to that I can't take phone calls. The USB stick is ok but doesn't help if you get most of your music through Deezer or Spotify.

It's a ridiculous omission that must be just down to software. Is there any other car on the market apart from GM that doesn't do it?

As for audio quality, look for devices that support the APT-X protocol as this is lossless compression. There is at least one Bluetooth gateway I've seen advertised on eBay that has it.

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
I've got a Nokia Bluetooth receiver in the car plugged into the aux in, but the trouble is if I connect to that I can't take phone calls. The USB stick is ok but doesn't help if you get mist of your music through Deezer or Spotify.

It's a ridiculous omission that must be just down to software. Is there any other car on the market apart from GM that doesn't do it?

As for audio quality, look for devices that support the APT-X protocol as this is lossless compression. There is at least one Bluetooth gateway I've seen advertised on eBay that has it.
My Prius had Bluetooth for calls but not music, same with my girlfriends fiat 500. No idea why!

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I've got a Nokia Bluetooth receiver in the car plugged into the aux in, but the trouble is if I connect to that I can't take phone calls. The USB stick is ok but doesn't help if you get most of your music through Deezer or Spotify.

I use a bluetooth headset receiver in the aux as well. Connecting to it disconnects from the Volt, but connecting to the Volt does not disconnect from the headset receiver so with a bit of care I can have my phone connected to both (and also my new myEV).

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've got a Nokia Bluetooth receiver in the car plugged into the aux in, but the trouble is if I connect to that I can't take phone calls...
I use a bluetooth headset receiver in the aux as well. Connecting to it disconnects from the Volt, but connecting to the Volt does not disconnect from the headset receiver so with a bit of care I can have my phone connected to both (and also my new myEV).
You can set up to connect to both.
I have a usb bluetooth stick plugged into the aux and use BT Auto Connect and Tasker to ensure that the phone connects to both the car, for phone calls, and the bluetooth stick for music. Set the bluetooth properties on your phone for each device - car will be 'Phone Audio' and 'Contact Sharing', usb stick will be 'Media Audio'. Basically, I have Tasker use the BT Auto Connect plugin connect to the usb stick whenever it gets a connection to the car.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
You can set up to connect to both.
I have a usb bluetooth stick plugged into the aux and use BT Auto Connect and Tasker to ensure that the phone connects to both the car, for phone calls, and the bluetooth stick for music. Set the bluetooth properties on your phone for each device - car will be 'Phone Audio' and 'Contact Sharing', usb stick will be 'Media Audio'. Basically, I have Tasker use the BT Auto Connect plugin connect to the usb stick whenever it gets a connection to the car.
Actually it does connect to both since I updated to Android 5.1, but thanks for pointing out the properties.

It turns out I had the Volt set to phone audio and contact sharing, and the headset to media audio and contact sharing. No idea why the headset wanted my contacts but I've turned it off now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts