Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today, I went and sat in my car in 'Ready' mode in my drive for half an hour.

It got me out of the house, gave a chance for the HV battery to top up the 12v a bit, and time to play with some bits that don't get played with in winter.

Firstly, the sunroof. Yay! Now I know which bits of the button to use and which direction to to turn it.

Secondly the seat adjustment. Reclining the seat and staring at the open sky whilst listening to music is really quite relaxing. I will remember that for charge stops.

Thirdly the aicon. I didn't need it at all to demist in winter, so realised it might need some exercise to keep the seals snug. I noticed that with the fans down it is very quiet indeed and you can just hear a valve or flap intermittently opening or closing. I have a temperature probe in the winscreen vent (Nerd Alert!). AC took the vent air from 23.C to 7.C in a few mins. Cabin temp (probe on centre tray) dropped quite quicly

I should have worked out the average drain of the AC using the Volts and Amps page of the central screen (between speedo and power), but maybe tomorrow.

I did approximately derive the wattage of the heated seats - and got about 200W each.
I now understand that they are PTC heated seats, which means that once they are up to heat, the drain will be less. I will perhaps explore that tomorrow as well.

Given the circs, I should think that neighbours will be more understanding than usual, and less likely to mutter "Tool" when they watch me from their prisons.

Reactions: booms

Registered
Today, I went and sat in my car in 'Ready' mode in my drive for half an hour.

It got me out of the house, gave a chance for the HV battery to top up the 12v a bit, and time to play with some bits that don't get played with in winter.

Firstly, the sunroof. Yay! Now I know which bits of the button to use and which direction to to turn it.

Secondly the seat adjustment. Reclining the seat and staring at the open sky whilst listening to music is really quite relaxing. I will remember that for charge stops.

Thirdly the aicon. I didn't need it at all to demist in winter, so realised it might need some exercise to keep the seals snug. I noticed that with the fans down it is very quiet indeed and you can just hear a valve or flap intermittently opening or closing. I have a temperature probe in the winscreen vent (Nerd Alert!). AC took the vent air from 23.C to 7.C in a few mins. Cabin temp (probe on centre tray) dropped quite quicly

I should have worked out the average drain of the AC using the Volts and Amps page of the central screen (between speedo and power), but maybe tomorrow.

I did approximately derive the wattage of the heated seats - and got about 200W each.
I now understand that they are PTC heated seats, which means that once they are up to heat, the drain will be less. I will perhaps explore that tomorrow as well.

Given the circs, I should think that neighbours will be more understanding than usual, and less likely to mutter "Tool" when they watch me from their prisons.
It Really does prove the saying " the difference between Men and Boys is the price of their toys"

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Too true.

Had another play.

The power drain of the heated seats, although low at around 200w, drops, but not much - maybe to around 150w - once they are heated up. Though I cannot be more precise.

The AC is more tricky. I think the compressor uses around 4-500W when running, but the timing of that running is more complex than just a cabin thermostat.

At ambient 12C, recirculating cabin air, fan on minimum with temp control cranked fully anticlockwise (only one blue bar left), the compressor only runs 1/3 of the time 5 seconds on, 10 seconds off. So call it 150W.

I'll try again with 22c recirculating cabin air and edit in the result.

OK, when cabin air at 25c, the compressor runs continuously - around 500W.

If the cabin fan is turned up to 4 bars, the AC draws 3 amps (say 1,500W) until the cabin air has cooled a bit.

Summary: AC power draw varies from 150W to 1,500W in proportion to the inlet air temperature, and the cabin fan speed.

All figures approximate - and may not apply in Thailand.

NB. If the cabin fan is turned up to 5 it draws about 400W on its own and is v noisy.

Registered
Wierdo (and I am in no way posting so I get alerts when you add updates :sneaky:)

Registered
Too true.

Had another play.

The power drain of the heated seats, although low at around 200w, drops, but not much - maybe to around 150w - once they are heated up. Though I cannot be more precise.

The AC is more tricky. I think the compressor uses around 4-500W when running, but the timing of that running is more complex than just a cabin thermostat.

At ambient 12C, recirculating cabin air, fan on minimum with temp control cranked fully anticlockwise (only one blue bar left), the compressor only runs 1/3 of the time 5 seconds on, 10 seconds off. So call it 150W.

I'll try again with 22c recirculating cabin air and edit in the result.

OK, when cabin air at 25c, the compressor runs continuously - around 500W.

If the cabin fan is turned up to 4 bars, the AC draws 3 amps (say 1,500W) until the cabin air has cooled a bit.

Summary: AC power draw varies from 150W to 1,500W in proportion to the inlet air temperature, and the cabin fan speed.

All figures approximate - and may not apply in Thailand.

NB. If the cabin fan is turned up to 5 it draws about 400W on its own and is v noisy.
馃榿

You will have to produce a book when you have finished.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts