Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed something that I find vaguely intriguing about the sales of model 3s.

In Norway, as of the date of writing this, just under 25000 model 3s have been sold.

20500 LR
2800 P
1400 SR+

Approx 80:13:7

In the UK, as of the end of Q3 2020 just over 25000 model 3s had been sold (obviously many more now, but the registration data hasn't been released yet).

9446 LR
7693 P
8435 SR+

Approx 37:30:33.

According to Statistics Norway, the average Norwegian driver drives 7600 miles per year (2017). According to the Department for transport, the average UK driver drives 7400 miles per year (2019).

I've no doubt that weather plays a part - in the Norwegian climate where serious snow is encountered regularly and temperatures are regularly very low then there's a double attraction for the LR over the SR+, in terms of winter range loss and AWD. The UK's mild maritime climate works better for the SR+.

As for the performance.... I feel like (let rampant stereotyping begin) that driving fast and powerful cars is much more ingrained to the British psyche than the Norwegian (certainly they seem to care less for speed than Sweden and Finland, so it's not generally a scandi thing I think), but I also wonder if the greater difficulty and expense in getting winter tyres for the M3P has a bearing.

I'm sure there's probably other cost or tax factors that drive the split one way or another also.

It's interesting to see the radically different model split between the two markets, and it would be interesting to know how the split is elsewhere - I suspect the USA is very heavily biased toward long-range versions, but it seems like china is mostly SR+ (very cost driven).

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,888 Posts
Have you checked what the real cost of an LR is in Norway, compared to an SR+ in the UK?

You might find them comparable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Doesn't Norway have huge subsidies on EV's? That being the case, wouldn't you go for the "better" car? I couldn't quite afford the LR and frankly would only need it for 0.1% of my journeys so wasn't going to push myself financially for something I don't use often. Had the LR been the price I'm paying for my SR+ I'd have had it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Certainly seems like a contributing factor - once you include taxes, they are approx £35200 (412000 NOK) and £39400 (462000 NOK).

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Wow... I'd buy a SR+ tomorrow if I could get a new one for £34,500.... :(
I'd buy the LR today if it was only 3k more than the £38k :)

Seems the SR+ is a bad buy in Norway when for a little bit more you get a lot more range and premium so I guess that answers that part of the question. And equally I thing the comments about winter wheels will have an impact on the M3P. Any idea if many M3P- were sold? (The LR with smaller wheels and the performance pack that was available for a while)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts