Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting article from Transport Evolved on yesterday's comments by Elon Musk;

“I’m kind of planning on doing something fairly significant on that front which would be kind of controversial with respect to Tesla’s patents,” he finally said. “But I want to write something so that I can articulate it properly and explain the reasoning for the decision.”

Musk was careful to avoid saying anything else, moving swiftly on to other questions, but we’re curious as to what exactly he meant by “controversial.” One possibility is that Musk will release Tesla Supercharger patents, allowing other automakers and infrastructure providers to adopt Tesla’s ultra-fast 130 kilowatt supercharger technology in order to make rapid charging of longer-range electric cars quick and easy.

http://transportevolved.com/2014/06/04/musk-hints-tesla-may-help-rival-automakers-tesla-patent-surprise/

·
Registered
654 Posts
Looks like he lost on the legal front and lost reputation to boot. Now he's hinting that he is a good guy because he was going to let everyone use the charge points... honest gov.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I used to love the bloke but he tried to do a dirty on Dale. How dare he!!!!
Well, maybe a Tesla did and maybe they didn't. All we know is that the High Court agreed to issue an injunction. We don't have any real details of what happened, or who was the brains behind it. I don't thine Elon was personally responsible and he may even know little more than us about it. Hopefully someone can find out more and write a detailed story.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tesla's CEO has been carefully dropping hints that he might "do something controversial" with his company's collection of technology patents, and now we know what he's on about.

Speaking at the UK launch of the Tesla Model S yesterday, Elon Musk said that he specifically wants to open up the designs for his Supercharger system in order to create a standard technical specification that other electric car makers can adopt. As part of this, it's possible that Tesla might need to give away some intellectual property about components within the cars themselves, but the general idea ties in with a commitment Musk made a while ago about not wanting Superchargers to become a "walled garden."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/09/tesla-to-share-supercharger-patents/

·
Registered
479 Posts
Tesla's CEO has been carefully dropping hints that he might "do something controversial" with his company's collection of technology patents, and now we know what he's on about.

Speaking at the UK launch of the Tesla Model S yesterday, Elon Musk said that he specifically wants to open up the designs for his Supercharger system in order to create a standard technical specification that other electric car makers can adopt. As part of this, it's possible that Tesla might need to give away some intellectual property about components within the cars themselves, but the general idea ties in with a commitment Musk made a while ago about not wanting Superchargers to become a "walled garden."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/09/tesla-to-share-supercharger-patents/

The same article also says:-

"Superchargers are more than just fancy plug-in points: they're also a business model in which electricity is given away "free for life" for Model S owners, with all costs factored into the upfront price of the car. Musk is very clear that other EV makers would have to subscribe to this same business model if they want to partner up. They'd also have to contribute a "fair" proportion to the maintenance and running costs of the ever-expanding Supercharger network itself"

So any other EV maker would need to charge a "free for life" premium, with all costs factored into the upfront price of the car, plus pay maintenance and running costs. Sounds rather like Superchargers are a bit of a land grab with tasty profits in the future!

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
And what is your suggested alternative Leafquester? I see lots of criticism of Tesla, or bundling, lockins, however you want to describe it, but I have seen no one come up with a better option.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.