·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
329 Posts

People in glass roofs shouldn't throw stones either
We test drove the Mach-E at Fully charged live, it was ok, a nice enough car. It had one big drawback, it was "Tesla" money for a Ford, so we ordered a Model 3 LR.

·
Registered
329 Posts
How do you compare the running cost (insurance, efficiency, software subscription) between the two cars?
Didn't worry about it, try telling ford you dont ever want to service the car, unless you feel there is an issue, but you want them to stand by their 3yr / 8 yr Car and battery warranty. Good luck. Tesla is WAYYYY more efficient than the Mach-E, especially 2021 models in winter as they now have a heat pump as standard. The only software subscription i can think of with Tesla is "Premium Connectivity" which is only £9.99 pcm. Unless you want to rent FSD when they do that, which Ford does not even do. Insurance no idea, but is not something i would worry about living in a nice area and being over 50.

·
Registered
165 Posts
We test drove the Mach-E at Fully charged live, it was ok, a nice enough car. It had one big drawback, it was "Tesla" money for a Ford, so we ordered a Model 3 LR.
Lol, the utter irony. Most people already think this of Tesla because they are luxury car prices for sub-standard build quality and dealership support.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Lol, the utter irony. Most people already think this of Tesla because they are luxury car prices for sub-standard build quality and dealership support.
Tesla's image is an upmarket "aspirational" brand , and having one on the drive is a bigger draw and statement than a BMW or Merc, and better tech and VFM too. All the 2021 Chinese model 3's i have seen in the last six months are all top notch. No doubt Berlin made cars will be even better (if possible). For sure the USA made cars have had issues, but are also better these days.

If you want to pay +£10k for a German badge and have less tech, less range, slower car with not charging Network, that's you choice.

·
Registered
165 Posts
German badges are not +£10k more expensive, that's kind of the point because a Tesla Model 3, Model Y, Model X, Model S cost the same prices as Audi, Mercedes or BMW. You can delude yourself as much as you want, but among the vast majority of people (not just EV owners), Tesla is not even close to being more desirable than the German luxury segment.

I agree that Tesla quality has improved but the fact iyou even mentioned it kinda helps prove my point, because even when it was worse the prices were always at luxury levels.

When I priced leases on the Mach-E AWD ER, Tesla Model 3 LR and the Audi Q4 50 Vorsprung Sportback. The Audi Q4 50 was actually the cheapest. Hell I could get an E-Tron GT for less than a Model 3 LR on a lease through work.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Friend of mine was looking at lease through work and found the same. Can get a very nicely specced etron for a great price.
I tested and priced a bunch of EVs recently and still found Tesla was way overpriced comapred to BMW, Merc and Audi but still not up to the same quality. I was surprised that the Mach-E was also coming in more expensive than an equivalent Aud Q4 Sportback but the Mach-E interior was actually overall pretty decent, if not quite up the the Q4 quality. When I priced the Model 3 LR I laughed at how much the lease was and priced an E-Tron GT for a laugh and it was actually a few quid cheaper on a monthly lease. I could easily afford either but a saloon car is not practical for my needs. Having said that if someone sat an E-Tron GT and a Tesla Model 3 in front of me and said pick one. The Tesla wouldn't even get a second glance.

So I did find it odd that Crypto Kid was trying to claim a Tesla was some uber desirable luxury brand.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tesla is the Dyson of the EV world.

It does the job and has some bells and whistles. But there plenty of others that do it better, have better durability etc.

Tesla is just the most well known (for their EV's, nobody would argue they're more well known than Ford)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tesla are still objectively better for efficiency and on the UK mainland at least (not here in N. Ireland) have a good supercharger network. Though over the last few years we have seen other EVs from more well established and well known brands come very close to Tesla for real world efficiency and range. So you are no longer limited to Tesla if you want a car that will give ~250+ miles of range.

This if for SUVs and shows that when it comes to the much vaunted Tesla efficiency advantage, well it's really not that great and for most will not be a factor worth considering.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Circle

·
Registered
165 Posts
In reality the Audi comes out much worse than expected, but I think that's much more to do with how they're driven.
Yeah, so many factors and variable that can drastically skew results. I think all of us as EV drivers have seen a 20% difference in range depending on what seems like trivial things. Driving a bit more spirited, temperature, headwind, raining etc.

So these kind of charts are useful as a general guide only.

·
Registered
329 Posts
German badges are not +£10k more expensive, that's kind of the point because a Tesla Model 3, Model Y, Model X, Model S cost the same prices as Audi, Mercedes or BMW. You can delude yourself as much as you want, but among the vast majority of people (not just EV owners), Tesla is not even close to being more desirable than the German luxury segment.

I agree that Tesla quality has improved but the fact iyou even mentioned it kinda helps prove my point, because even when it was worse the prices were always at luxury levels.

When I priced leases on the Mach-E AWD ER, Tesla Model 3 LR and the Audi Q4 50 Vorsprung Sportback. The Audi Q4 50 was actually the cheapest. Hell I could get an E-Tron GT for less than a Model 3 LR on a lease through work.
An Audi Q4 is wayyy slower and has way less range than a TM3 LR , TM3 SR+ is a fairer comparison.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts