Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan E-NV200 Tekna Panel Van, 24kWh plus Muxsan 45kWh UBEX, Kia Soul EV 27 kWh, BMW i3 94ah REX
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Type 1 to Type 2 adapter supplied by Muxsan and part of the installation costs. It works perfectly.

·
Registered
Nissan E-NV200 Tekna Panel Van, 24kWh plus Muxsan 45kWh UBEX, Kia Soul EV 27 kWh, BMW i3 94ah REX
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

ok, my first day ‘using’ the van was a visit to my Pops in N.Wales. Usually I drive the 165miles (each way) in my Soul EV with one charging stop both ways, and since the cost of charging on the Rapid Charger network has tripled virtually in the last three months then that has become around £15.00 for 330 miles, (just for the public charging cost)

With the van the trip will not require any charging stops so that’s at least £60.00 a month saved on public charging. The van will be charged by a combination of solar and off-peak electricity at home on the way down, and for the journey back my Dad will be paying through his electric bill as I usually plug in at his house.
(Footnote: I suppose I should buy him a meal……🙄)

·
Registered
119 Posts
£700 odd fuel costs saving per year is good stuff. Is the cost rise for charging in the UK across the board or is it specific networks? I wonder what is behind that, just speaking as we have not seen any price changes in the public networks around us here in Brittany (either the one-off connection price or the kwh price).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
A year ago £0.30 per kWh was deemed a bit pricey and Shell’s £0.45 was way overpriced. Currently £0.45 is towards the lower end …..

Thankfully the one-off connection fee has been designated to history (mostly) ..

·
E-Van ponderer
46 Posts
A little envious. Our env200 is similar age, mileage & SOH to yours. A 40Kwh swap would be a massive upgrade for us. I carry a fair bit in the back, so wouldn't want to loose much weigh headroom for the days I need to really load up.
I wonder if at some point will a re-pouched pack will be available. Same pack just 60Kwh with new pouch cells etc, or if thats a pipe dream. I guess the Ubex, is a straightforward solution.

Reactions: JackPreacher

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
There aren’t a lot of salvaged E-NV 40kWh packs around. The UBEX option protects your original pack for a loss of 200kgs payload. How about a Towbar to mitigate loading the van fully?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Some more real world data : started at 80% SOC. interestingly the original 24 kWh ENV 200 had the option of only charging to 80%, and that still works with the UBEX installed. I have read of upgraded ENVs where the vehicle software ignores the 80% charge limit. (Glyn Hudson’s van I think…..🤔)
Anyway, being able to charge to 80% is really going to stretch out the life of this battery plus UBEX combination.

Vehicle Car Odometer Speedometer Motor vehicle

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I’m beginning to suspect that the efficiency has improved quite considerably. Maybe the overall internal resistance of the battery pack/s has reduced. Whatever is causing the increased efficiency, it is very noticeable. I’ve been driving much more like other drivers than I was before the upgrade. Before the upgrade I would drive really carefully trying to eke out every mile.

·
Registered
11 Posts
interestingly the original 24 kWh ENV 200 had the option of only charging to 80%
I wish I had that option in my 2020 40kWh e-nv200, right now I am using the scheduler to stop the charging at a specific hour... and I am getting better and better at guesstimating!

When you are talking about improved efficiency, is it really related to energy consumption? My first thought would have been that the computer re-calibrates after a few trips.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I wish I had that option in my 2020 40kWh e-nv200, right now I am using the scheduler to stop the charging at a specific hour... and I am getting better and better at guesstimating!

When you are talking about improved efficiency, is it really related to energy consumption? My first thought would have been that the computer re-calibrates after a few trips.
I reset it after every charge. The trips I do on a daily basis over years of ownership are what I’m comparing….plus I’m driving at 66mph (indicated) where normally I’d do 50 (indicated).
..it’s just a feeling that it’s more efficient …

·
Registered
119 Posts
I’m beginning to suspect that the efficiency has improved quite considerably. Maybe the overall internal resistance of the battery pack/s has reduced. Whatever is causing the increased efficiency, it is very noticeable. I’ve been driving much more like other drivers than I was before the upgrade. Before the upgrade I would drive really carefully trying to eke out every mile.
The extra range making you 'relax' a bit more over your commute perhaps? It will be interesting to see how your overall energy/economy 'score' changes over time. It could also be something about the newer battery chemistry in that 45kWh pack perhaps? Whatever it may be i would just like to say thanks for sharing all this data with us other e-nv200 owners, it's very useful, and the guys at Muxsan should prepare for more orders.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The extra range making you 'relax' a bit more over your commute perhaps? It will be interesting to see how your overall energy/economy 'score' changes over time. It could also be something about the newer battery chemistry in that 45kWh pack perhaps? Whatever it may be i would just like to say thanks for sharing all this data with us other e-nv200 owners, it's very useful, and the guys at Muxsan should prepare for more orders.
I checked my historical consumption figures on the CarWings app and I’m definitely seeing a 0.2kWh/mile improvement. More data required but it’s looking good😀

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Ignore my efficiency data: I’ve just put the roof bars back on….that was it. I took them off when I took the van over to the Netherlands.

dumba&&

·
Registered
Nissan e-NV200 Combi 40 kWh
209 Posts
There's a vehicle height threshold on some ferries making the e-NV200 cheaper without roof bars, as well as the saving in drag at speed. Sensible on both counts to remove them for a long journey like that.

(I've been wondering about buying a set of roof bars while the e-NV200 is still common enough that these are readily available, even though I'd leave them off for 360+ days of each year.)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
There's a vehicle height threshold on some ferries making the e-NV200 cheaper without roof bars, as well as the saving in drag at speed. Sensible on both counts to remove them for a long journey like that.

(I've been wondering about buying a set of roof bars while the e-NV200 is still common enough that these are readily available, even though I'd leave them off for 360+ days of each year.)
..can’t recommend getting roof bars enough: great fir 4.6m lengths of timber etc. a small efficiency penalty as I’ve inadvertently discovered…nay..’researched’….😉

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah i agree on the roof bars being a great 'utility' improvement for the van. Mine is a family MPV, but i use it to haul stuff for home DIY projects etc, and when the dimensions just wont fit inside the roof bars are handy. I got the nissan ones (2 bar version) and i had wondered about the efficiency hit, not really noticing them much as i tend to not drive motorways, so it is good to see Jack discover where his small efficiency boost had come from :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm off to Muxsan this week to have the exact same job done to my 24kW ENV (plus towbar). Just like the OP, I calculate 14k Euros as cheap compared to £60k for another 6 seater with 200+ miles range, and £3k from webuyanycar for my ENV!

It's an ex-taxi, has done 128k miles but drives fine. It did have a new motor at 80k though. I've spent almost nothing on maintenance since I had in in 2019 - just a small suspension job. However the Chademo stopped working last year and Nissan vaguely think that a new PDM might fix it (c. £4k but nobody local could fit it). Emile thinks it's a software issue (ironically it charges fine on the ancient Ecotricity unit at the dealer - and hopefully the one near Harwich or I'll be slow charging for hours before the ferry).

Really pleased to see there is anti-corrosion and suspension included. On the latter, their website says when they first did the UBEX they found the existing suspension was fine and never bottomed out (there are what look like small "stop" springs factory fitted).
The communication with Muxsan was a challenge, however. I stuck the Euro price in the subject to get their attention - seemed to work.

I'm taking the family to Nantes in the summer and REALLY looking forward to charging at 150kW/h at a Tesla Supercharger (a 2015 Model S can only do 100kW smug).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I'm off to Muxsan this week to have the exact same job done to my 24kW ENV (plus towbar). Just like the OP, I calculate 14k Euros as cheap compared to £60k for another 6 seater with 200+ miles range, and £3k from webuyanycar for my ENV!

It's an ex-taxi, has done 128k miles but drives fine. It did have a new motor at 80k though. I've spent almost nothing on maintenance since I had in in 2019 - just a small suspension job. However the Chademo stopped working last year and Nissan vaguely think that a new PDM might fix it (c. £4k but nobody local could fit it). Emile thinks it's a software issue (ironically it charges fine on the ancient Ecotricity unit at the dealer - and hopefully the one near Harwich or I'll be slow charging for hours before the ferry).

Really pleased to see there is anti-corrosion and suspension included. On the latter, their website says when they first did the UBEX they found the existing suspension was fine and never bottomed out (there are what look like small "stop" springs factory fitted).
The communication with Muxsan was a challenge, however. I stuck the Euro price in the subject to get their attention - seemed to work.

I'm taking the family to Nantes in the summer and REALLY looking forward to charging at 150kW/h at a Tesla Supercharger (a 2015 Model S can only do 100kW smug).
The CCS has a bug that they’re sorting out so I don’t rely on the CCS yet. I still haven’t managed to get CCS to work in the UK.

with 100% charge I get 240 miles reasonably easily on a mix of all types of roads. 80% is good for 200 miles.

Have a good trip 😀

41 - 58 of 58 Posts