Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan E-NV200 Tekna Panel Van, 24kWh Battery, Kia Soul EV 27 kWh, BMW i3 94ah REX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on having a 17.6kWh battery range extender fitted to my 24kWh e-NV200 this summer. [Cleevely Electric Vehicles | Electrical Vehicles | Gloucestershire]

AVIVA's underwriters have looked at Muxsan's Website and stated that the UBEX range extender would be viewed as a notifiable modification and deemed as legal. There will be no penalty on the insurance premium.
All good news,...well, at least if you insure with Aviva.
Maybe other interested parties could contact their insurers and see what their position is then add to this post?

FYI: My tow-bar was also notifiable but with no premium penalty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm planning on having a 17.6kWh battery range extender fitted to my 24kWh e-NV200 this summer. [Cleevely Electric Vehicles | Electrical Vehicles | Gloucestershire]

AVIVA's underwriters have looked at Muxsan's Website and stated that the UBEX range extender would be viewed as a notifiable modification and deemed as legal. There will be no penalty on the insurance premium.
All good news,...well, at least if you insure with Aviva.
Maybe other interested parties could contact their insurers and see what their position is then add to this post?

FYI: My tow-bar was also notifiable but with no premium penalty.
Off topic but will this have the same rapidgate issues as the 40kw van? For a future purchase and would like to know if this is a better option.

·
Registered
Nissan E-NV200 Tekna Panel Van, 24kWh Battery, Kia Soul EV 27 kWh, BMW i3 94ah REX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Off topic but will this have the same rapidgate issues as the 40kw van? For a future purchase and would like to know if this is a better option.
I'll point you to this video. The short answer is 'no'. I feel this is a better option than a 40kWh battery swap as the Rapid charging current is split over 2 battery banks.

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
309 Posts
my Muxsan Leaf has 17.6kwh extender (i believe the first gen 1 in the UK to have it) been with Hastings direct on a multi for both our leafs and they had no issue with the extender either.

The caveat is that they are not insuring the value of the extender and probably wouldn't if you were to ask them too. so there is that to consider too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my Muxsan Leaf has 17.6kwh extender (i believe the first gen 1 in the UK to have it) been with Hastings direct on a multi for both our leafs and they had no issue with the extender either.

The caveat is that they are not insuring the value of the extender and probably wouldn't if you were to ask them too. so there is that to consider too.
How is the Rapid charging performance?

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
309 Posts
Better than before but the limiting factor in my charging is the gen1 battery under the car. A 30kwh leaf battery upgrade under the car with the muxsan would gain me faster recharge times. That or a 40kwh is the next big upgrade.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Better than before but the limiting factor in my charging is the gen1 battery under the car. A 30kwh leaf battery upgrade under the car with the muxsan would gain me faster recharge times. That or a 40kwh is the next big upgrade.
it's quite an upgrade path for relatively affordable prices.
What range do you get in the winter ?

·
Banned
367 Posts
I've looked into this but found no info on the cells that they are using. Anyone got any info?
It won't work for me as the significant weight change would require a separate conformity, but I'm just curious what kind of chemistry Muxsan is putting in there, how safe it is, and how long the pack will last.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
I've looked into this but found no info on the cells that they are using. Anyone got any info?
It won't work for me as the significant weight change would require a separate conformity, but I'm just curious what kind of chemistry Muxsan is putting in there, how safe it is, and how long the pack will last.
I believe they are from scrapped/test VAG PHEV vehicles. There was a youtube vid on the subject, and a capacity test on one of their company vehicles showed negligible degradation after 12 months.

·
Registered
309 Posts
winter range depends really on how much you use the heater in a gen1 leaf or any ev but especially with a ptc heater. Lucky for me my heater has packed in for a second time so I will be installing an eberspacher diesel heater eventually when I get the chance.

I think the cells are from a lesser known hybrid-gate where VW made a car which had an insulation layer which would breakdown due to thermal stresses overtime between the battery and the heatsink. Essentially to avoid huge recall costs most of these cars never got to market and so the batteries when straight to a warehouse to be sold as second life cells even though they really hadn't had their first life. My extender battery has been good. It is let down by the original gen1 cells under the car and so is probably forced to work quite hard.

given the quantity of cars and van Muxsan has made extended with these cells I suspect they will have to eventually look for different batteries which they can ensure there is a larger supply of. I'm confident they had this covered though, they are smart cookies.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
winter range depends really on how much you use the heater in a gen1 leaf or any ev but especially with a ptc heater. Lucky for me my heater has packed in for a second time so I will be installing an eberspacher diesel heater eventually when I get the chance.

I think the cells are from a lesser known hybrid-gate where VW made a car which had an insulation layer which would breakdown due to thermal stresses overtime between the battery and the heatsink. Essentially to avoid huge recall costs most of these cars never got to market and so the batteries when straight to a warehouse to be sold as second life cells even though they really hadn't had their first life. My extender battery has been good. It is let down by the original gen1 cells under the car and so is probably forced to work quite hard.

given the quantity of cars and van Muxsan has made extended with these cells I suspect they will have to eventually look for different batteries which they can ensure there is a larger supply of. I'm confident they had this covered though, they are smart cookies.
I'm sure there's a video on the forum showing a PTC heater DIY replacement on a LEAF....

Diesel Heater....Sacrilage!! Didn't Volvo toy with Diesel/White spirit heating on their prototype EV's a few years back but they've come away from it. [needs citation for sure]

·
Registered
309 Posts
Using diesel isnt a choice id favour but there is nothing as easy or practical to replace these gen1 heaters. The original ptc heater are a crap design in the first place destined for failure over time. There is no producer of them for not silly money and the fuse to get the circuit working again is a 6 hour dive into the front on the car for the professionals so labour is ridiculous too. Also they take so much range. On balance running a diesel heater on kerosene (lamp oil) to keep it from sooting up through the coldest parts of winter as opposed to abandoning the ev for an ice seems like a hugely preferable option.
Lots of folk see the word diesel and cant help making a comment of dirtying up a bev without understanding the motivations behind the decision.

·
Banned
367 Posts
I believe they are from scrapped/test VAG PHEV vehicles. There was a youtube vid on the subject, and a capacity test on one of their company vehicles showed negligible degradation after 12 months.

Thanks for the info guys, interesting stuff.
In one video I had seen some cells with blue celophane stacked upright, I'll try to find the video.

Talking about battery supplies, I wonder where Muxsan gets their 40kWh packs for the replacements.
One would imagine that it would be from scrapyards or insurers, but how realistic is that? You would have to have an entire team running after scrapped cars all day everyday to find enough battery supplies.
Could Nissan be feeding them the packs through the backdoor?

I've been scanning different markets for a 40kWh battery, it's like looking for a needle in the haystack.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think they have to do it like everyone else. I presume Emile has one of the new hires on it as part of their job. He was also offering a bounty/finders fee for customers/joe public who find any they can fit.

EDIT. also Nissan help their customers make their cars last longer? mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha lol,

they are, how to say it politely, Nissan are a bit shit at economical repair. Especially batteries. If they weren't Muxsan wouldn't need to exist.

·
Registered
309 Posts
just had my renewal through hastings. it was up by 50% which is kinda ridiculous considering that im doing no miles and dont intend to next year either.

So we have gone from the multicar for the two leafs and mine (Muxsan one) is now insured through Adrian Flux with AXA as the underwriter. The key difference according to Adrian flux is that now the mod is insured so the car in a write off is worth approx £10k rather that the £5k I would get if its written off whilst I'm with Hastings.

Anyway just thought Id post an update to let folk know there are more options to insure the muxsan converted cars with.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just had my renewal through hastings. it was up by 50% which is kinda ridiculous considering that im doing no miles and dont intend to next year either.

So we have gone from the multicar for the two leafs and mine (Muxsan one) is now insured through Adrian Flux with AXA as the underwriter. The key difference according to Adrian flux is that now the mod is insured so the car in a write off is worth approx £10k rather that the £5k I would get if its written off whilst I'm with Hastings.

Anyway just thought Id post an update to let folk know there are more options to insure the muxsan converted cars with.
That is excellent information to share. Thanks for posting that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts