Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The motor on my 20 EX makes a growling sound when under load. Most noticeable when slowing on regen level 3. This is not associated with the low speed noisemaker. I drove a 20 EX Premium and it was much quieter. Anybody else notice it?

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
103 Posts
Certainly doesn't happen on my 2020 e Niro in UK. I'd be having a swift word with the dealer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The motor on my 20 EX makes a growling sound when under load. Most noticeable when slowing on regen level 3. This is not associated with the low speed noisemaker. I drove a 20 EX Premium and it was much quieter. Anybody else notice it?
You might have a motor or gearbox failure. Unfortunately, it's a common Niro and Kona EV defect that continues with the MY20 cars. On my Niro EV, it sometimes sounded like a loud cat purring but I suppose some might describe it as growling. It would also cause a tapping/knocking noise when coasting at low speed below 10 mph (this might be harder to hear if you can't disable VESS).

More information on motor/gearbox failures here or over on the North American forum. Many audio recordings posted on those threads for you to compare. If your noise matches, then please continue discussion on the existing threads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts