Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since the restrictions were lifted until the end of December in Ireland, wife and I went and treated ourselves to a weekend away at a spa hotel. Nice!

The total journey was over 800km long and I wanted to share with you guys how much fuel have we actually used.

Sadly enough I only have data for the 512km of the trip but it's good enough.

So we started in Killarney, then travelled along the N72, took a left on L4040 towards Waterville, then right on N70, detour to Portmage, then back onto N70 to Tralee, then N21 to Limerick and M7 all the way back to out home in Dublin. All in all 512 km. Around 220 of that was the motorway.

So national roads are 100kmh and motorways are 120kmh. Local roads are technically 80kmh but I wouldn't go more than 60 on most of them. Anyways. I've kept a steady 120kmh on a motorway and I would say an average of 80/90 on national roads. Local roads were obviously slower.

At the end I was pleasantly surprised to see my fuel consumption of 6.4l/100km.

At some stage in the mountainous region I have managed to put around 3km back into the battery and went downhill for so long that my regen reduced due to the fact the battery was getting hot (or so I think it was).

I've kept the car in hybrid mode 90% of the time and the other 10% I reserved for having a bit of fun in the GTE mode :D

Registered
I find it a lot for the hybrid. Mine consume up to 5l on petrol with flat battery, can ho higher if it is charging.
If it鈥檚 hybrid mode then around 3-4. Overall consumption is 2.4 and well above declared figure of 1.1l. It is also costing me more than diesel.

Registered
Nissan LEAF30
Overall consumption is 2.4 and well above declared figure of 1.1l.
The declared figures are for over 50% "electric only" running. What proportion do you manage?
It is also costing me more than diesel.
And cue @donald ;) . A well driven diesel on journeys below national speed limits that would mainly be ICE in the GTE should be more efficient. Whatever the marketing bollox a diesel engine is more efficient on part load than petrol, and diesel fuel contains significantly more energy by volume than petrol. But it's not just consumption but also NOx emissions (#dieselgate) and particulates that the German manufacturers lied about and caused the negative sentiments that currently make diesel a pariah.

Registered
The declared figures are for over 50% "electric only" running. What proportion do you manage?
I don鈥檛 know how to check the %
Trying to use electric only. Not using the heating or anything in the car. It is not something I really like.
out of those 2860km there were only 2 long journeys, both times car was charged for the return trip. Lets say that around 800km were long journeys over 100km each and of course on 350km we didn鈥檛 stop to recharge. As it is taking 4-6 hours depending on the charger.
Rest are all short distance, mostly less than 50km. This is why i agreed on gte, as it looked that there will be some saving. Although if I can only drive around 30km, then i am using petrol for the rest of the journey. And if battery is flat, then consumption is over the roof. I also drive on B, to regen as much as possible.
in the first weeks when I got the car I was able to get 60-70km on one charge, even 80, but since they took the car in for the first time, I would rarely get above 30km per charge.
On the same routes, back toads, my consumption on 2.0 l tiguan was 3.8-4.8l/100km
Hood Steering wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

Registered

And cue @donald ;) . A well driven diesel on journeys below national speed limits that would mainly be ICE in the GTE should be more efficient. Whatever the marketing bollox a diesel engine is more efficient on part load than petrol, and diesel fuel contains significantly more energy by volume than petrol. But it's not just consumption but also NOx emissions (#dieselgate) and particulates that the German manufacturers lied about and caused the negative sentiments that currently make diesel a pariah.
Lies and overall agenda on changing to electric cars. They say it cheaper and cleaner. It is definitely not any of that.
We don鈥檛 have much of a choice when we want to order the cars. Specs or even models are not available in Ireland.
i would love to get golf estate, this is what i wanted over tiguan. We did trade in manual golf astate and ordered dsg, but order was cancelled as they said golf estate is not produced any more. 3 years later it is still available in Europe and Uk, but not in ireland. Even in 2016golfs were more equipped that passats. Now comparing my tiguan to top of the range passat, passat is losing big time.
we used to have free public chargers and grants for phev, now all gone. They threatened us that we will have power cuts, but still pushing people into ev. Energy cost is over the roof. Withoutdiscount and on 24hrs meter 1kwh is 鈧0.30+. You can get cheaper night tariff, but cost per kwh during the day will ho up. In uk you can get kwh for as low as 5p. Comparing to 鈧0.30 it doesn鈥檛 really make sense in using ev in Ireland. But of course diesel cars not environmentally friendly and blah, blah:)

I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
I debated the Passat GTE, but went diesel. I'd be disappointed if I did not achieve twice the mileage per litre for that route in my car.

Driving nicely does not lead to the generation of excess NOx, which was (pre Euro 6d) allowed to exceed particular values during transient acceleration events. If you drive in such a manner to avoid such transient events, your NOx would be lower than spec, not higher.

The TSI engine in this Passat is also not so clever with NOx, the limits being pretty much the same (0.06 versus 0.08), and a spike in NOx from petrol TSI each time it cranks back into life.

Thanks for the data @Kacper Pawlowski , I had presumed GTE would not have been suitable for my usage profile (90% are >80 mile trips).

Lies and overall agenda on changing to electric cars. They say it cheaper and cleaner. It is definitely not any of that.
We don鈥檛 have much of a choice when we want to order the cars. Specs or even models are not available in Ireland.
i would love to get golf estate, this is what i wanted over tiguan. We did trade in manual golf astate and ordered dsg, but order was cancelled as they said golf estate is not produced any more. 3 years later it is still available in Europe and Uk, but not in ireland. Even in 2016golfs were more equipped that passats. Now comparing my tiguan to top of the range passat, passat is losing big time.
we used to have free public chargers and grants for phev, now all gone. They threatened us that we will have power cuts, but still pushing people into ev. Energy cost is over the roof. Withoutdiscount and on 24hrs meter 1kwh is 鈧0.30+. You can get cheaper night tariff, but cost per kwh during the day will ho up. In uk you can get kwh for as low as 5p. Comparing to 鈧0.30 it doesn鈥檛 really make sense in using ev in Ireland. But of course diesel cars not environmentally friendly and blah, blah:)
You might possibly have an interest in the new Passat then, the B9? I was thinking it'd make a nice BEV saloon (why are there no '3-box' saloon BEVs? all semi-mpv hatch things?).

But I read a press briefing recently that they are only going to make B9 Passat in an estate variant (and it'll be the last Passat). There will be a pure electric variant. I mean, I'll take a look and I am sure it'll be ideal if you want an estate, but I'm an old fashioned 3-box kinda guy, they look very classy to me, whereas the fad (surely it can't last long?) for 'blob' cars is just bringing sheer mediocre ugliness to the streets.

Registered
Are you switching to hybrid mode for the long trips?
What does your We connect say your MPG is?
Yes, off course. On my last 123km trip full charge battery was almost empty in less than 30km using the hybrid mode on motorway. Drove without the heating and in many spots on N or full regen to reduce petrol consumption. Luckily is was coming down the hill most of the time.
i am still trying to bring down my consumption to under 2l/100km. As the declared is 1.1/100km

overall consumption is 117mpg and it is made up from the short trips mostly. If my battery would give me more than 30km per charge, then this figure would be higher snd there would be savings comparing to diesel. So far it costs more. 117 is also due to the fact that in first 5 weeks by range was at declared or even above that range. Most of the days I was getting over 60km range on full charge and it was real figure, not GOM. As I would drive for 45 and come hkme with19-20km to spare. On one occasion i fid almost 80km, but 鈥 since i brought it to the garage to fix another issue I never saw the range going up above 35km on full charge. Also those 30-35km were GOM, with the real range around 25.The range doesn鈥檛 seems to chagrin with outside temperature or with preheating the car.

Registered
Nissan LEAF30
I'd be disappointed if I did not achieve twice the mileage per litre for that route in my car.
The OP admits to having used GTE mode to have fun, so to compare your hypermiling is unfair.
your NOx would be lower than spec, not higher
The TSI engine in this Passat is also not so clever with NOx, the limits being pretty much the same (0.06 versus 0.08), and a spike in NOx from petrol TSI each time it cranks back into life.
It's the same for all hybrid cars - they have different emissions rules and a requirement to overfuel to warm the cat up on each start.
They are really only better if you do all electric short journeys, or with reference to the destination actively control the ICE to only be warmed up once.
At present with the balance between ICE and EV in hybrids being far too ICE biased for political reasons to suit the legacy auto manufacturers they are a cul-de-sac in terms of design.
I'm an old fashioned 3-box kinda guy, they look very classy to me, whereas the fad (surely it can't last long?) for 'blob' cars is just bringing sheer mediocre ugliness to the streets.
Your getting old. Next you'll be saying that the BY was the high point.

Registered
Nissan LEAF30
Heating is 'free energy' while the engine is running. It should not draw any electrical power, nor increase fuel consumption.
But on a short journey starting the ICE to generate heat is poor value.

But on a short journey starting the ICE to generate heat is poor value.
If you are going to need the engine at some point in the journey, always best to start out in hybrid mode and get that free heat.

Of course if you can make your trip on electric only with electric heating, then naturally avoid engine running.

I always found it a mad bit of mental maths to figure out how best to operate the Ampera at the end of a work day, did my head in TBH when it had been a hard day, which was one of the motivations to get the Soul, just avoiding that mental arithmetic!

The OP admits to having used GTE mode to have fun, so to compare your hypermiling is unfair.
hmmmm ... well, not sure I ever have 'fun'! :cautious:

But hypermiling for me is 90ish mpg. Mid 60's for a thrash. Never seen less than 55mpg, I don't think it is able to burn that much fuel.

Your getting old. Next you'll be saying that the BY was the high point.
Not sure what BY means, maybe I am getting forgetful too in my old age.

Registered
I debated the Passat GTE, but went diesel. I'd be disappointed if I did not achieve twice the mileage per litre for that route in my car.

Driving nicely does not lead to the generation of excess NOx, which was (pre Euro 6d) allowed to exceed particular values during transient acceleration events. If you drive in such a manner to avoid such transient events, your NOx would be lower than spec, not higher.

Thanks for the data @Kacper Pawlowski , I had presumed GTE would not have been suitable for my usage profile (90% are >80 mile trips).
Oh, believe me, i do not drive nicely. I hate this type of driving. I am looking at green regen thingy as it is holy grail:) sometimes i ever drive on N, to get me further the road. Done with that. My husband is refusing to get in the car with me, as it is not really pleasant experience. If you want to drive on ev mode. If i am getting only 30km on GOM, but to get to the park i need all of those 30, then I am trying to squeeze as much as possible from the car.
strangely enough it was able to deliver more than declared range. I got 80km on full battery once. Rest of the days - over 60. Then it all changed. Today was the lowest 29km on full charge. Just a joke. As soon I i turned thd heating on it went down to 20.
spoke to the garage already, they said that thei magic computer can鈥檛 find any faults with the battery.
I was promised 50. Was getting more than that and even though there were other issues with the car, I was quite have with the consumption.
then suddenly it all went down hill. My driving didn鈥檛 change, only the range

Registered
You might possibly have an interest in the new Passat then, the B9? I was thinking it'd make a nice BEV saloon (why are there no '3-box' saloon BEVs? all semi-mpv hatch things?).

But I read a press briefing recently that they are only going to make B9 Passat in an estate variant (and it'll be the last Passat). There will be a pure electric variant. I mean, I'll take a look and I am sure it'll be ideal if you want an estate, but I'm an old fashioned 3-box kinda guy, they look very classy to me, whereas the fad (surely it can't last long?) for 'blob' cars is just bringing sheer mediocre ugliness to the streets.
I want car to be big enough, so me and 2 large fogs can camp in it. caravan is in the plans, but not every place is accessible by caravan. So either estate or back to SUV. We were a bit squeezed in tiguan, so now i am looking at the tiguan all space.
never thought i would be changing brand new car after 2 months.

With passat, and any other cars for this matter, in Ireland they are not equipped to the same specs as in uk or Europe. We are getting completely stripped down versions. You might think That i am hard to please, but when we collect gte i was shocked. It is not even matching my 2018 tiguan. I was waiting for 6 months, to get some car that looked that it wasn鈥檛 fully built yet. After a day i had to report few issues and after a month on top of the still unfixed issues there was another one. Consumption.
I am also doubt that Ireland will see new paasat. We do not have golf estate here anymore.
my choices are limited. Squeeze myself into tiguan, or go for all space. Even touran is not available in Ireland. Also, i better not mention the price:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts