Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Buying a used e-golf. I did intend have a M3 on order but the pandemic happened and it doesn鈥檛 make financial sense now.
I love the Ampera but my wife doesn鈥檛 like driving it and I鈥檝e not done enough long journeys over the two years to need the range extender, so can go full EV.

Ampera aka IGOR
Buying a used e-golf. I did intend have a M3 on order but the pandemic happened and it doesn鈥檛 make financial sense now.
I love the Ampera but my wife doesn鈥檛 like driving it and I鈥檝e not done enough long journeys over the two years to need the range extender, so can go full EV.
I stretched for the M3, thanks to an interest-free loan from the Energy Savings Trust in Scotland. The Ampera was a great stepping stone for me. When I bought mine the nearest public charger was 20 miles away and none near to my work that would have been viable. Latterly I was given permission to use one at a nearby Marriot hotel which helped my do 95% of my annual commute on electricity but without heating in the winter. My brother now has the Ampera and he can easily do his commute on electricity with heating and he has access to charging at his work so no issues. Hopefully, the Golf is as good as the Ampera but with more dealership support (then again hopefully you will not need it).

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I鈥檝e always been able to do my 28 mile round trip on electricity alone all through the year.
The interest free loan is such a great scheme, I wish England would follow suit.

Registered
@Glyndonian your car is looking very well presented and good to see the GOM capacity as 41 miles.
Have you been on a country roads trip recently to really push the range as I bet you can still reach 50 miles as I did before selling mine to prove to nay sayers that the battery was still giving an as new range.
Amazingly I covered a 50 mile EV only range over two months after garaging my car and without topping up the battery before the run. My Tesla M3 would have lost more than that from vampirical drain!

Mine went via Ebay. Didn't get much luck on Autotrader but did get interest from PistonHeads and even Gumtree.

Good luck as buyers are out there. Mine went to an Asian family in Luton and purchased for the wife who made the final decision to buy. :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers @Russ I highly recommended the Meguiars ceramic spray wax.
You鈥檙e right, I could easily hit 50 miles on a B toad trip, I even got 11KW out of the battery yesterday!
Thanks for the selling advice, I鈥檝e kept half an eye on forum members selling their cars.
eBay looks a good route, did you do an auction?

Registered
Regarding Ebay you use the classified sale choice and post the price you are looking for.

Registered
@Glyndonian your car is looking very well presented and good to see the GOM capacity as 41 miles.
Have you been on a country roads trip recently to really push the range as I bet you can still reach 50 miles as I did before selling mine to prove to nay sayers that the battery was still giving an as new range.
Amazingly I covered a 50 mile EV only range over two months after garaging my car and without topping up the battery before the run. My Tesla M3 would have lost more than that from vampirical drain!

Mine went via Ebay. Didn't get much luck on Autotrader but did get interest from PistonHeads and even Gumtree.

Good luck as buyers are out there. Mine went to an Asian family in Luton and purchased for the wife who made the final decision to buy. :D
What is it about a B road that鈥檚 good for range Russ? I鈥檝e not got more than 42.5m out of 10.3kwh this summer, after buying my Volt in winter, and have blamed the abundance of 50mph + B roads where I live for dragging the range down. I assumed those that got 50mpc we鈥檙e doing so in urban areas.

Registered
It's not too hard to reach the magic 50 miles to a charge. Air con turned off, nice sunny dry day and deserted roads allowing gentle driving. Check out the 50 mile + threads on the forum.

Registered
I managed 50 without any special effort when on holiday on Isle of Wight. I think the secret is keep the top speed down, preferably below 60, and ideally 50 if you can. ( Have managed 60 in a super-slow trip, max top speed 40!). I wasn't having to do anything special to avoid regen, it was just a generally very gentle pace, like the pace of life over there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts