Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This follows on from my hijacking of the earlier thread: Help please

After coaxing my ZOE into charging a couple of times over Xmas, I finally got it booked into the dealer (SMC Aldershot) today. I later got a phone call to tell me that they had ordered a part (296933106R) and asking if I had extended warranty, which I do. He called back later to tell me that the part is not covered under the warranty and that I would have to pay over £160 - how can this be? I didn't break the part, and it should not wear out. Isn't this exactly the sort of fault that extended warranty is for? The part would have been covered under the original 4 year warranty, according to the dealer.

An internet search for additional information only yielded this: genuine parts GmbH | 1 Hits for

I think that it is the locking pin mechanism, which I doubt is the cause of the fault; so what happens when it turns out to be something else?

I have emailed Renault CS and Extended Warranty about this.

The part arrives tomorrow, so fingers crossed that it fixes it.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,739 Posts
There's loads of get outs in the extended post 4 year warranty. They won't pay out more than what you paid for the car and anything they consider 'wear and tear' isn't covered. So they can weasel out of anything they don't really want to replace.

Tell them if this doesn't fix the fault you expect the whole cost to be refunded in full. Then pay the bill with a credit card for added protection.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Reading things like this dissuades me from committing to anything beyond the end of the PCP.

I love the car, but having already had the PEC replaced due to the "Check ELECTRIC system" message, my faith in the car has already diminished.

I thought the extended warranty would mitigate any risks, but your post now has me a little concerned.

·
2quidforhalfanhour
391 Posts
I'm guessing this is to do with the charge port door either not opening or closing properly.
If so how can that possibly not be covered under any warranty?
As above considering buying my PCP'd Zoe but this is just another reason not to.
Love the car to bits but for some reason I just don't trust it long term.

Edit- just re-read OP and sounds like cable not housing correctly?
Either way I would be kicking up an almighty fuss.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
A failing locking pin motor does cause BCI problems. We're on our second, although this one is a newer part number which is rumoured to not have the failures of the previous design. It surely should be covered under the extended warranty. You can't charge the car without it working, thereby making it unusable.. Can't see any justification for them not covering it.

Reactions: andyfras

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phone lines have been busy this morning. I got a call from CS to say that the Renault extended warranty excludes ALL charging components, so pretty well worthless IMHO. However Renault have offered to pick up 75% of the cost, so I would have to pay £41. This is a great improvement, but I'm still not happy.

I mentioned that the replacement is a newer part number, which suggests that the original part is substandard in some way, so should be replaced FOC, but they've checked with the dealer who says that the part is identical.

I then got a call from the extended warranty company (I sent the same email to both yesterday), asking me to contact the dealer to request a call to discuss the issue.

The Renault extended warranty is with an external company (I'll try to find out the name), so Renault can conveniently blame them. I shan't be renewing after the first year; I'll try to find another company that will offer FULL cover.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,739 Posts
No warranty company will give proper cover at all. They're all weasels and usually only sudden catastrophic failure is covered.

I wonder how much the Kia 7 year warranty excludes in later years? Or the Hyundai 5 year one?

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
642 Posts
Well the motor is part of the charging system, would it cover that ? I'm sure it would.
On the plus side you're not talking of £ thousands, and I would be happy taking on insurance that covered the big hits but not the small ones. Do these policies have an excess?
I reckon 75% is not a bad offer.
I didn't realise that Renault outsourced their external warranty, useful to know.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Latest update:

Extended warranty now covers the part in full.

But the bad news is that it's the main charging unit at fault (surprise, surprise!), so it's going to take a lot longer and cost a lot more (hopefully now covered by warranty). Apparently the whole motor unit has to come out along with the front of the car - 14 hours labour + parts.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I got a call from CS to say that the Renault extended warranty excludes ALL charging components, so pretty well worthless IMHO.
Interestingly, I thought this may well have been covered under the "drivetrain warranty" as I remembered a discussion where somebody was going to be charged a great deal of money for replacing the "charger" in the car. I say "interestingly" as it took me ages to search for the discussion. I'm sure the chap eventually managed to get Renault to pay out under the drivetrain warranty. It turned out that the reason I struggled to find it was that all of his posts have been removed... Renault Cover-Up?

I didn't realise that Renault outsourced their external warranty, useful to know.
I didn't realise this either. I guess it makes sense, though it does make the extended warranty less appealing in my eyes. When Renault are responsible, it's their reputation on the line.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Extended warranty now covers the part in full.

But the bad news is that it's the main charging unit at fault (surprise, surprise!), so it's going to take a lot longer and cost a lot more (hopefully now covered by warranty). Apparently the whole motor unit has to come out along with the front of the car - 14 hours labour + parts.
This is interesting (see my post above). My assumption is that it should all be covered by one warranty or another (depending on the age of your car).

If it turns out to all be covered under warranty, it'll be interesting to see whether you delete all of your posts in this thread or not... ;):LOL:

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If they get deleted, it won't be me who deleted them. I'm just providing a blow by blow of the process for when someone else finds themselves in the same position.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,714 Posts
The issue you are referring too was wildly derailed by two "experts" claiming the DRIVETRAIN warranty (as opposed to the standard warranty) was four years "and they had it all in writing" (without providing it ever). It almost made the poor bloke ditch the car. While it was true Renault at first didn't take responsibility, after some poking and providing them with the proper info, it was all quickly settled. It was a very disconcerting discussion as false info was presented as "absolute truth".

Now what I personally (FWIW) agree with is that it is really not OK to have to convince Renault something is a warranty item. Things like charger issues out of extended warranty seem to be made up on the fly, or misrepresented because covered under the 5 year drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
If Renault extended warranty isn't covering charger related problems, it makes owning Zoe outside of 4 years a risky proposition. The PEC which is what has gone on your car (and ours a few months after we got it) cost £4K to replace. That has to be warranted or there's no point having one at all. Hope it gets fixed soon for you Andy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: StinkyPete

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
You think you have problems. The 8 year 100,000 mile transferable EV parts warranty Vauxhall sold their Ampera's with is regularly denied and presently subject to a group letter being sent to the OLEV who must have paid a goodly sum in grant money to said company.
I wonder what the legal position is on these warranties as the cars are sold with these warranties as carrots.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Latest update:

Minesh at CS has been calling regularly to keep me updated, as has James at SMC Aldershot.

Investigations are continuing; the wiring is now being checked (presumably because, although unlikely, it's cheaper than replacing the PEC). Hopefully there'll be a decision later today. I'm told that the part should not take more than a couple of days to arrive once ordered. I know that others on this forum have reported several weeks for delivery; I just hope that supply has now been sorted.

·
Registered
955 Posts
My PEC took over 10 weeks to be replaced. Whether that was because I was in a queue (the rumour from the hire-car company is that they had a few people on their books with the same issue at the same time as me) or not, I don't know. The Q210 has a BCB and PEB (if I correctly remember what I've been taught on this forum!) so there may be different lead-times, or it may even be in stock at a warehouse somewhere.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.