Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the first customer deliveries occurring soon, this thread is to share your e-Niro experience.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
I don't know if this is what you are expecting but here's my comparision between the Kona and the Niro, only mentioning things that stand out to me and mostly driving related

I've had the Niro on a test drive this evening and have a Kona that is for sale so can directly compare the two. I have been driving on the twisty roads in Suffolk and there is a difference in the way they drive. I have only driven 100-150 miles in each so not a long time driving comparison.

Parked side by side they are very similar in size. The Niro is only slightly taller, I expected it to be noticably taller but it isn't.
In the front the Kona feels narrower and the centre console makes me feel more enclosed.
The controls are very similar, layouts pretty much the same but they do look different. I think the Niro is more plasticy and I prefer the look and feel of the materials inside but my wife prefers the Niro.

The Lights. The Kona is the Premium so doesn't have the LED lights but they are very good and not far off the LEDs on our e-Golf. The Niro on the other hand has lights that are very similar to the 2008 Nissan Note I have been driving for the last month. They are perfectly adequate lights and do the job, but on long straight roads they don't light up the road as well as the Kona or the e-Golf. I was expecting them to be as good as those on the Kona, but they don't quite match up.

Driving. On the dual carriageways and around town I don't notice much difference. They are both plenty quick enough, Sport mode isn't really necessary as they accelerate quickly enough in Comfort mode. The steering is a little heavier in Sport mode in both of them but the Kona steering feels slightly heavier than the Niro. I find the Kona steering a little to heavy in sport mode for normal driving and have mostly used Comfort mode. In the Niro I like the feel of the steering in Sport mode and find the comfort mode a little too light. As I like the acceleration in Sport mode in both cars I prefer the Niro for normal driving so far.
On the twisty roads driving quickly I preferred driving the Kona. The steering is more precise, the steering weight is right when in sport mode for driving quickly and the car has less body roll than the Niro. The Niro is still quick, holds the road well for family cars I have driven and deals with corners fine, but the Kona just inspires a little more confidence and feels more able to handle the corners. Both accelerate plenty quick enough for most people but the Kona felt faster but I have no way to test that.
To start with I noticed the torque steer in the Kona but after 50-100 miles I hardly notice it any more. I don't try to use full power straight away, I can't even do that in the e-Golf without getting wheel spin and a little torque steer, and I think I have quickly learnt to use the accelerater in a way that suits a more powerful front wheel drive car. Both cars will understeer if pushed around corners but again the Kona fells a little better.

The other thing I have noticed is the speakers. The Kona has reasonable speakers but the bass is too boomy for me and I found myself turning it down to get it to a point it could live with it. The high mids are a little harsh but nothing that isn't normal in a car. The Niro is quite an improvement. The bass is smooth and can be turned up high without sounding overpowering or having over resonant fequencies. Flat I found the bass a little lacking but at +5 - +8 I was quite happy with lots of rich bass that worked for most songs I played this evening. The treble is quite sharp, I like to add treble as my ears aren't as good as they should be, but even I turned it down a little. Saying that it isn't harsh, just crisp and clear. For those who struggle to hear things clearly this set-up should help!!

I'm still going to buy the Niro and sell the Kona, but if I didn't want the interior space and if the sound wasn't important to me I would pick the Kona for it's driving, it's more fun to drive and I haven't noticed the ride being harsh or bumpy. It isn't a sports car but it does handle it's weight very well compared to the everyday cars I have driven. It also accelerates plenty quick enough for normal driving and even for a bit of fun. If you are used to sub 5 second 0-60 than maybe it will feel slow, but as I'm not used to those type of cars the instant responce of an electric motor makes it feel quicker than cars I am used to driving.

All in all two great EV's and I'm lookng forward to collecting mine in about 10 days time, or when I sell the Kona. Anyone want to buy it...

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
An update after a few more miles on the dual carriageway this morning. I wasn't saying the sound is brilliant, but it is better than the Kona, standard e-Golf and other cars I've driven recently.
Using the Cruise Control set at 69, actual speed 65mph I was getting 3.5 mi/kWh over about 45 miles. I was in eco mode with the CC on the fast setting as it seemed to coast when it slow down more than in other modes but didn't slow down too early for lorries. I didn't get to try it much as but it felt like I would like it better than the Golf. There are quite a few settings to play with, like how quickly the CC reacts, the forward collision warning having slow normal and fast. Forward collision does work, it was set on normal and I was slotting into a small gap at a junction and it hit the brakes for me. No-one behind so it was ok, but I would set it on the lowest setting. It is good to see it is there though.
It's gone back now, next updates in 10 days time or so

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
I posted a long message on here last night comparing the e-Niro I had on an overnight test drive to the Kona I have for sale but it has disappeared. I'm not going to type it all again but here's a quick round up.

I prefer the drive in the Kona, the steering is more precise and there is less body roll in the Kona when driving quickly but I like the feel of the steering in Sport mode in the Niro for normal driving. It isn't a sports car but the Kona does feel more controlled in the corners.

The interior looks better quality in the Kona. The Niro plastics, especially on the doors, are too plasticky for my liking.

The lights are better on the Kona, and I have the Premium that doesn't have the LED lights but there is still a difference.

The speakers in the Niro are better, the Kona has a boomy sub but the Niros' is better controlled and can be turned up without booming much. The high mid is less harsh in the Niro and the sound is brighter, which I like.

I can't remember what else I had written, maybe I'll add more when I remember.

I will add that I have a Kona that I want to sell, listed in classifieds and open to offers.

Edit, original post back above but I'll leave this one as well to save more confusion.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I wish the second wave was the new facelift version, or even just offered the nicer interior. I'm going to hedge my bets for now but I'm not as enthusiastic about this car as I was.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
I wish the second wave was the new facelift version, or even just offered the nicer interior. I'm going to hedge my bets for now but I'm not as enthusiastic about this car as I was.
Is there a nicer interior in LHD versions?
My take, and why I'm still buying, is at the moment EV's aren't dropping in price and getting in early is the cheapest option. Our e-Golf is worth nearly what we paid for it just over a year and 27k miles ago, might lose £1-2k if sold now. Kona went up in price after a few months and a new Niro will probably be more money if it has better kit. They still aren't making enough of them. Lots of manufactures are bringing out EV's but in limited quantities so they will probably sell out and hold their value. They aren't going to sell them cheaply until they need to. They need to sell them to hit emission targets otherwise they probably wouldn't bother.
BIC rate is dropping on BEVs and some of the fleet market will want to take advantage of that, that is just going to make supply issues worse.
If you really want a BEV at least order one with a refundable/small deposit to give yourself options. Maybe the market will have changed in a years time and the Niro/Kona will feel past it's best, but I expect it will still be a good price for a long range EV. They may be missing an app, and LED lights on the Niro, but at least it is a BEV with a long range battery, most of the other offerings coming out will have a smaller battery and the smaller battery Kona is avaiable for less money, but not many people have ordered one.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Is there a nicer interior in LHD versions?
Yeah, the Korean version is really nice. I saw the videos Bjorn did and pre-ordered one. Then found out that we get the cheap interior, and no LED lights, no ventilated seats etc. Kinda wish I had ordered the Kona now, I'd put up with it being a bit smaller.

Since it won't be until maybe September until it gets delivered I don't need to decide right away.

My take, and why I'm still buying, is at the moment EV's aren't dropping in price and getting in early is the cheapest option. Our e-Golf is worth nearly what we paid for it just over a year and 27k miles ago, might lose £1-2k if sold now. Kona went up in price after a few months and a new Niro will probably be more money if it has better kit.
I did think about that. I want to keep it for a long time so I want it to be nice, but I suppose changing is possible.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Okay something weird just happened
Yep, looks like some of the missing messages have returned, but they aren't in the right order.
Confusing now, but I understand what you were saying.
Lots of comments in the Facebook group about the missing details, but this isn't really the thread to discuss them in.
We have what we have been given and the car is sold out for the year. I'm going to leave that alone in this thread before we drift way off topic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts