Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, it turns out the longer I've had the LEAF, and the more I get the enjoy driving it, the less I've worried about HOW I'm driving it.

The other day, I was prompted by a post on Twitter to check out where I ranked in the World on regenerative breaking... 333 at the time, not too bad out of about 4,500. However, in every other department, I quite frankly suck...

Local rankings:

Screen Shot 2014-03-31 at 20.29.43.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-31 at 20.29.52.png

Global rankings (monthly):

Screen Shot 2014-03-31 at 20.30.30.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-31 at 20.30.37.png

So it's about time I started playing this game seriously, April is going to be my eco-month. And I need your support and help.

Bear in mind the landscape of most of driving, 3/4 to 1 mile stretches, mostly 60-70 mph roads with roundabouts (often stationary, usually slow), with some 30 mph stretches. This is not "eco town", this is Milton Keynes. On the plus side, flat.

I'm going to do my best (without annoying all fellow residents) to improve these rankings as much as possible during April. The fact this is my first month with little local charging out and about (well done Chargemaster) is just a happy coincidence. All tips and tricks most welcome, I'll report as I go.

Off to reset the on-board computers and get some driving gloves and a pipe, this is going to be painful! :D

Feel free to join in too, whatever make and model of EV you're piloting, the more the merrier!

RESULTS: https://speakev.com/threads/my-eco-april.1644/page-4#post-17337

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good luck with it Paul. My top tip is get more aero. Tuck in those wing mirrors and slipstream those trucks.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
That's what I thought - of 35 miles for one kilowatt hour? Impossible. He must be on an electric bike. Or maybe he started at the top of a mountain and coasted all the way down.

Reactions: Olivier

·
Registered
307 Posts
Can't be done in MK. Too many roundabouts to slow down and speed up afterwards.
I use up about 7% just getting up to the M1.

·
Leaf lover
4,549 Posts
Lent started on the 5th March this year so you are a little late but I'm sure your sins will be forgiven if you get good results.
Top tip, tune into BBC Radio 3

·
Registered
307 Posts
Driving 50 mph in Milton Keynes in anything but a very old classic car feels terribly impolite! :oops:
Yep, going under 60 mph between each roundabout (spaced about roughly 1km apart) is considered quite slow in MK. Not great on the battery for getting the car up to speed each time.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So apparently at 4.8 miles/kWh today.

I'm the white LEAF that with the convoy trailing behind. ;)

Actually, I REALLY need to get the Speak EV stickers sorted, people will have LOADS of time to read mine now! :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wish the i3 had better metrics, record keeping and comparisons. There's no reason why it shouldn't log every trip and let you extract the data for the joy of drawing graphs.

I'm a slow driver - always have been. Or, rather, I reserve fast driving for tracks (itself not a regular occurrence) - not the public streets. But out and about, I usually leave a margin between my speed and the limit - sometimes a goodly margin.

I joked before I bought my car that BMW would refuse to sell it to me if they knew my driving style - everyone would think BMW had created a carbon fibre milk float. However, BMW will be pleased to know that I can't resist the acceleration and while I may stabilise at 28mph, I'm pretty damn quick in getting there!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmm! I'm a little concerned that EVs could become the new caravans. Do we want that Paul?
For April, I'll take it. ;) Spent the last six months slowly showing the opposite *evil grin* so it's about time I tried the other side of the fence.

Now where's that hypermiling website I bookmarked.... ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd say it's very good. I cant attain that in the Leaf unless i am gravity assisted. It could be why the Zoe's charge is greater.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts