Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just a quick question, I'm planning to make the swap from petrol to EV this coming year, we live in a grounf floor flat with some very basic garages so I would have to have the line running from our consumer box to the garage, I've attached a quick MS paint blueprint, thinking idealy of having the line run along the outter wall on the building out of reach, the difficult part is going from sheds to garage there is a open gap between them, about a a meter apart

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,911 Posts
The key question is whether you own the land or whether the freeholder is amenable to your plans.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
871 Posts
Get someone to come and do a survey, but strictly speaking the cable between the shed and the garage should be buried quite deep (can’t remember the regs but easy google). Will add a bit to the cost unless you can dig the hole yourself, but not a deal breaker.
Are they your sheds? Make sure you get the written permission of anyone else whose land you’re running cables across or sheds you’re attaching them to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The key question is whether you own the land or whether the freeholder is amenable to your plans.
it's a council property, the landlord would be fine to have it done since then they don't ahve to try and supply a on-street charger

·
Registered
ID.4 :-)
181 Posts
The "normal" depth for services is a MIN-imum of 300mm (non roadway) ... with suitable identification / protection. Typically pea-shingle lined trench, suitable ducting, identification tape above the services in the trench (to alert anyone who digs in the future) / re-instated fill, and surfacing.

You will be best getting a survey (as suggested) by someone who knows what they are doing. Also (as mentioned) gaining written permission for any works on "common" areas/property will be key/essential.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Hi just a quick question, I'm planning to make the swap from petrol to EV this coming year, we live in a grounf floor flat with some very basic garages so I would have to have the line running from our consumer box to the garage, I've attached a quick MS paint blueprint, thinking idealy of having the line run along the outter wall on the building out of reach, the difficult part is going from sheds to garage there is a open gap between them, about a a meter apart

View attachment 142491
Ideally, the cabling should be run underground so it is unobtrusive and protected from vandalism. The difficulty of obtaining legal permissions as hinted at by previous reply is probably the key issue. Speak to a lawyer.

·
Registered
275 Posts
it's a council property, the landlord would be fine to have it done since then they don't ahve to try and supply a on-street charger
Are you assuming that or have you asked? I seriously doubt they will be fine with it given the run you’re proposing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good advice above. Needs surveyed and then probably some agent/legal support on the land use query. If you can get permission (you'll need to engage with the council and I suspect it won't be all that easy) I suspect they'd stipulate the entire cable run be underground and you'd have to reinstate the grounds after. All gets very expensive very quickly.

Without wanting to be negative, I would worry therefore that the answer to your original question is it doable or not would be realistically no.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Good advice above. Needs surveyed and then probably some agent/legal support on the land use query. If you can get permission (you'll need to engage with the council and I suspect it won't be all that easy) I suspect they'd stipulate the entire cable run be underground and you'd have to reinstate the grounds after. All gets very expensive very quickly.

Without wanting to be negative, I would worry therefore that the answer to your original question is it doable or not would be realistically no.
My local council has a green transport team that project manage etc new charger installs ( their own ones on public land). I would make contact with the equivalent in your council and see if they can assist you by giving some internal contacts and how they manage the same issues...
Mind you I'm talking about Unitary Authorities no wee borough councils, sorry if your local authority is useless on EV Charging.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,911 Posts
That's a huge assumption. My experience of Councils is that the housing department's jobsworth will say "No" and have no concern about the saving to another departments extra costs or responsibility to provide an alternative. Allowing notifiable changes to the wiring of a council property is not something that they would take lightly.

·
Registered
ID.4 :-)
181 Posts
As others have said, and I mentioned earlier - your biggest "stumbling block" will be gaining permission for the cabling run. The actual work is relatively straight-forward (abite the cost involved). Your issue will be gaining the permission of the Freeholder (council or otherwise) to run services over "their land". Your lease will detail on your "demise" (your flat / garage, but not any other land). You also fall into other issues when you have to do work on a council owned Consumer Unit.

It would be very nice to "think" that a local authority who "should" be encouraging EV use, will just allow lease-holders / tenants to install chargers, but unfortunately as we know, differing departments in councils will take totally different approaches. The land/property/freehold/housing division will want to ensure that any "alterations" to their property, are legally sanctioned, meet all H&S requirements, and certifications - thats an incredibly significant number of "hoops to jump through" ...

As anyone will know - applying for a "dropped kerb" is a costly, and can be a protracted affair. The actual work is not the expensive element, it's the costs associated with the "application/permissions/consideration/highways/legal" granting the alteration are key.

I would like to hope you could get this through easily, so that EV use is adopted by more people - but I suspect that you're going to have a challenge with this idea/project.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts