Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here goes:

I have just returned from a fantastic, but eventful, electric (and leg) powered weekend in the Brecon Beacons in my Mitsubishi i-miev.

My friend and I left north Cheltenham on Friday at 5:30 with just about a full charge and 65 miles predicted range. The youth hostel where we were staying was 79 miles away so I had planned a charge at the Wyndham Arms in Clearwell in the forest of Dean, some 30 odd miles from home. They have a type 2 Zero Net charger so whilst we tucked into their excellent bangers and mash, the car was being topped up for free.

After just over an hour we set off for Libanus near Brecon. The distance on the GPS was 49 miles and my predicted range was 47. Knowing that I was charged to 13 bars out of 16 I was confident that, in reality, we had more range than that. I had also checked the eco net Brecon charging map and had an emergency pub to charge at on Llangynidr some 15 miles from Libanus.

Off we set with me hypermiling, the heating off and the fan set low!

I had set my GPS to take us on the shortest route which on reflection was probably not the best idea as we were taken down numerous narrow lanes which meant we were braking and accelerating into too many corners, not good for getting the best range.

For the next 20 miles I watched as the predicted range played a game of cat and mouse with the range to Libanus, but I knew we had a climb to the Brecon Beacons so we decided to dive off the 'main' road to get a half hour top up at the Coach and Horses at Llangynidr. We confidently strode up to the bar, but a minute later I choked on my half a cider as the management told us that they had never had a charge point fitted! Now we were in trouble. 15.3 miles to go uphill and 15 miles predicted. It was now about 9 o'clock, raining and cold.

So, now driving at between 20 and 30 mph we edged our way closer to Brecon. Somehow we made it to Brecon with some 4 miles to go and 4 predicted. However, the climb up from Brecon is a dual carriageway and quite a steep hill......

1 mile from the youth hostel (which we had never visited before) the turtle appeared on the dash and we were down to 10 mph so I crept into a lay by. 10 o'clock on a damp mountain with no range left. My friend decided to walk on ahead! 5 minutes later he called to say he could see the youth hostel sign so I crept up the remaining 500 metres and to our destination. Made it, just. That pint tasted good.

My original plan had been to charge the car the next day at the mountain centre which is approximately 3 miles away, mostly up hill, where they had, according to my research, a type 2 fast charger. However there is no way we would make it there so the youth hostel manager kindly loaned us an extension cable so we could charge there.

Saturday was spent walking in the spectacular mountains.

On Sunday we went for a 30 mile spin around the beacons taking in the views. We rolled into the mountain centre with 8 bars showing. I thought we could grab a tea and cake and a game of cards whilst the car charged back up ready for the drive home. The centre staff had lost the key for the charging box, but after some scratching of heads and ferreting around it was found. The manager opened the box and after clearing away the cobwebs, proudly presented us with not a type 2 charger, but a 3pin...so much for internet research.

2 and a half hours later we were up to 15 bars and left for home 77 miles away (first 10 miles downhill) with 65 miles of predicted range on the guessometer. We decided to follow our friends in their van slipstreaming back along the A40 and M50 at around 55 mph to my mum's house at Redmarley where I could grab a cuppa and a top up. This plan worked and we arrived home an hour ago with 1 bar and 5 miles range left.

Would I do it again? Yes, but I would stay for a pudding at the Wyndham Arms!

Happy EV'ing
Kieron

·
Registered
427 Posts
After your story I started to think that my 400 mile journey from Lincolnshire to Cornwall was not stressful at all in my Peugeot iOn :D

·
Super Moderator
7,508 Posts
Sounds very stressful! Definitely not the kind of trip for me...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My son and I spent a few days in the Beacons in April.

One night we spent at an equestrian centre hostel here http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=318241&Y=229013&A=Y&Z=120 and charged up from his sewage treatment cupboard's 3-pin plug. That was all hydro-powered from the on-site plant. Cwmfforest, it's called. http://www.brecon-bunkhouse.co.uk/location.php

On two others we were here:-

http://www.bunkhouse-south-wales.co.uk/

There is an outdoor 3-pin plug attached to the wall of the bunkhouse.

We did a write-up for a cycling forum that we inhabit.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=81587.0

I had forgotten that my son had recorded pretty well every bit of our journey.

http://dezw.eu/evadventure refers.

·
Registered
731 Posts
That's easy! 80% charge from Tibshelf will get you to Ashton IKEA no problem. 100% from Mansfield's probably easier.
Really? Which ways that going then? I may attempt it if I know its possible. its the lack of top up chargers and stranding the family on snake pass on christmas eve thats putting me off :)

We have sort of got to the stage that the Leaf saves us that much in fuel during the normal commute we don't mind taking the odd family trip in the oil burner, if that makes sense

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
If it's Christmas Eve you are travelling, check the availability of the IKEA charger. OTOH, are you staying with family in Manchester? Do they have a 3-pin plug?

There are plenty of GMEV 7kw chargers in Manchester as well. Make sure you've got a CYC card!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, we are traveling over on the 23rd then home on Christmas eve. We are staying at a premier inn my plan was to put the car on one of the 7kw chargers for a few hours then move it to the hotel carpark in the evening. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, we are traveling over on the 23rd then home on Christmas eve. We are staying at a premier inn my plan was to put the car on one of the 7kw chargers for a few hours then move it to the hotel carpark in the evening. Thanks for the info.
Does the hotel not have access to a 3-pin plug? Whenever I stay away now that's the first question I ask.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts