Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appreciate this is my own fault, but I’m sharing, to warn other.

This morning, I reached to move the drive selector from “D” to “B” - unfortunately at the very moment, I suddenly sneezed and managed to catch / press the “P button on the end.

The car braked very hard, so much that I was thrown forward. I accept that its my fault, but I’m surprised the car allowed it to happen. I’ve driven cars with auto parking breaks previously and I’m fairly certain they wouldn’t have activated - I know in my last car that if I pressed the park break too soon, it got cross and came up with a message.

Thankfully I was only travelling at about 20, with no one behind, so no real harm done. It could have been very different if I’d been travelling faster.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,836 Posts
Seems like you enabled the emergency braking button. See the manual;

Seems there is not a speed over which it won’t work.

It is quite difficult to accidentally press the Park button for a prolonged time though, if you just caught it in a sneeze it would be the same as momentarily pressing the foot brake in the same scenario.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like you enabled the emergency braking button. See the manual;

View attachment 142794

Seems there is not a speed over which it won’t work.

It is quite difficult to accidentally press the Park button for a prolonged time though, if you just caught it in a sneeze it would be the same as momentarily pressing the foot brake in the same scenario.
It definitely wasn’t a long press, it was the joint on my thumb that caught it, definitely less that a second.

Anyway, I’ve learnt my lesson - no more sneezing whilst driving 😂

·
Registered
ID.4 :-)
227 Posts
It definitely wasn’t a long press, it was the joint on my thumb that caught it, definitely less that a second.

Anyway, I’ve learnt my lesson - no more sneezing whilst driving 😂
Wow - thanks for the "warning" / "advise" ... I frequently shift between D and B ... and I can see how easy it would be to "catch" the "Parking button" !

Glad you're ok ! and yes - no sneezing allowed !

·
Zoe Devotee
9,381 Posts
:sick: Well I'm surmising you also didn't have time to hook the crook of your elbow around your face before you splattered all over the dash and windscreen. Time to get the anti-bac wipes out. 🤮

Reactions: peachy62

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suppose people need to treat it like a manual handbrake, and you do have to press the P in and hold it to brake to a stop.
Yes, definitely seems like it needs treating like a manual handbrake. My only comment being that it’s much more difficult to pull a manual handbrake on in error, I’ve not managed in over 30 years, whereas I managed this in 30 days.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:sick: Well I'm surmising you also didn't have time to hook the crook of your elbow around your face before you splattered all over the dash and windscreen. Time to get the anti-bac wipes out. 🤮
Interestingly it wasn’t that type of sneeze. It came from nowhere and was more of a sneeze reaction than anything else - thankfully no wipes needed

·
Registered
Puma GTE > Suzuki Jimny > BMW Z4 > Cupra Leon ST
101 Posts

This morning, I reached to move the drive selector from “D” to “B” - unfortunately at the very moment, I suddenly sneezed and managed to catch / press the “P button on the end.

The car braked very hard, so much that I was thrown forward. I accept that its my fault, but I’m surprised the car allowed it to happen. I’ve driven cars with auto parking breaks previously and I’m fairly certain they wouldn’t have activated - I know in my last car that if I pressed the park break too soon, it got cross and came up with a message.

Thankfully I was only travelling at about 20, with no one behind, so no real harm done. It could have been very different if I’d been travelling faster.
Did the park brake actually engaged or it just braked hard for a moment?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did the park brake actually engaged or it just braked hard for a moment?
As far as I can tell, the park brake fully engaged. I was thrown forward, there was a fairly loud clunk and the car came to a stop, I can’t be sure if the “P” illuminated on the console, to be honest, I was a bit shaken up.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Long press as per the manual sounds fine, short tap less so! Hopefully if it is engaging on a short tap on some cars, that's just another software bug that will be fixed in time.
If some cars get a warning message, it does suggest a software problem. Thankfully I wasn’t going faster, if I had been, I could have been killed by a software error. VW would however be OK, as they could just delete the error from the log and no one would know 😂

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If some cars get a warning message, it does suggest a software problem. Thankfully I wasn’t going faster, if I had been, I could have been killed by a software error. VW would however be OK, as they could just delete the error from the log and no one would know 😂
I expect VW would send your surviving relatives Kansalis/Phlashman-style hampers though...

·
Registered
303 Posts

I've often thought that sneezing while driving is dangerous. It's amazing how long you close your eyes for,

1 - 20 of 51 Posts