Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Kona Premium Se - 64k , 2020 model.
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am very pleased to have fitted my own complete frunk. I decided my previous mini frunk simply wasn't enough. My goal now was to free up the ENTIRE under-boot space and that meant more than just sticking the fast charging cable pack up on the engine hood by tape.

The under boot space is badly wasted space. Taking out the plastic where a wheel might be yields a LOT of space. One bit of plastic is a tray and the other is shaped for the "wheel well". Basically Hyundai got this all wrong. They don't even provide space for the CSS charging cable! When I got my car that cable was in its bag in the "normal" boot space.

All wrong.

Looking online I thought about importing one from germany but after discussion, with my car being a 2020 model that wasn't guaranteed to fit. So I decided to do it myself.

So I bought a 24.5 Litre Really Useful Storage Box, known as a wellie box because it is shallow but wide and long enough to store some boots in. (Here it is from one supplier Really Useful Box 24.5 Litre). This is great because it is a lid with handles. I can fit absolutey everything from the under-boot space into this box. That's the two cables, tyre inflating stuff and little bit more.

Because it comes with a lid I am feel confident nothing is going to get lost when travelling. When it comes to service I just lift out the box & contents and push it back into place after a service is completed. The only thing the garage will know is that the useless bit of plastic that is over the engine isn't there.

But the really great thing is now my under-boot space is full of useful things. So far I have stuffed two pairs of walking boots and two camping chairs in it. Besides that some gardening implements. I haven't even tried to fill this volume up. But this is a big space.

This all leaves the normal boot space is totally empty - and clean.

This is a real tardis project. So much wasted boot space is now really useful. And in the Kona with its small-ish boot that is a big thing, imo.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I quite like all these kinds of tweaks people are making/doing, so far it doesn't seem to be causing any troubles, so all good.
So far I've resisted doing any myself as I don't often need to carry much, and for occasions when I do, we have an ice with a much bigger boot that I can use.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I quite like all these kinds of tweaks people are making/doing, so far it doesn't seem to be causing any troubles, so all good.
So far I've resisted doing any myself as I don't often need to carry much, and for occasions when I do, we have an ice with a much bigger boot that I can use.
Our Kona is our only car, so it has to be a jack of all trades. This type of frunk seems very popular in Germany with various designs. Mine is a bit of a cross between two of them.

The ultimate design would be one done by Hyundai themselves, presumably. I cannot perceive any situation a frunk could cause an issue. The engine doesn't get hot as an ICE would. The frunk is fitted securelly using the Hyundai mounts, and is sealed.

Reactions: UniqueGeorge

·
Registered
327 Posts
Looks good!
How did you “fit it securely using the Hyundai mounts”? Any pics please?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good!
How did you “fit it securely using the Hyundai mounts”? Any pics please?
The legs are on thingiverse.com. A 3d printer can make these. The rubber feet are easily removed from the normal cover and fit in neatly. The rubber feet are in pairs, matching the legs,two smaller and two larger/front and rear.

Two bars, left and right, need cutting to size. They are different lengths! These slip into the tops of the legs.

It remains then to drill holes through the base of the box and through the bars, four holes. Finally assemble with suitable washers and don't forget a locking nut. A spacer is needed between the bottom of the box and the bar so the plastic of the box isn't stressed.

I'll post more pictures tomorrow. Right now I'm watching the madness of King George.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This morning I took some photos of what I can fit into my underboot.
The first is of 2 bags of walkling boots, 2 bags of gardening equipment, 2 foldable garden seats, waterproofs and other bits and bobs.
IMG20200615 OorKona 0002.JPG
Partially loaded
IMG20200615 OorKona 0003 Underboot2.JPG
Still space even with all this stuff.
IMG20200615 OorKona 0005 Underboot3.JPG
Finally with the lid in place.
IMG20200615 OorKona 0006 Underboot4.JPG
And that's what this project was all about.

Reactions: KenAger and davesul

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I appreciate that the contents of the frunk are things that you would carry anyway, but is the permanent extra weight of all of the boot contents a good idea? :unsure:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate that the contents of the frunk are things that you would carry anyway, but is the permanent extra weight of all of the boot contents a good idea? :unsure:
It's a thought but I don't see these as particularly heavy items & we use them most weeks so they are in the car anyway. I guess together they won't weigh any more than the two cables provided.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
When fitting make sure there's gaps at sides (for lifting handles) and back (for lifting lid).
IMG20200615 OorKona Frunk Upload 0004_1.JPG
Here's an upside down picture showing the legs, rubber feet and the bars. Note how the bar slips into the top of the feet.
IMG20200615 OorKona Frunk Upload 0013.JPG
I've circled the mount points.
IMG20200615 OorKona Frunk Upload 0010a.jpg
And here's the empty box pushing onto the mounts.
IMG20200615 OorKona Frunk Upload 0014.JPG
Finally a shot from underneath shows there is plenty of space. (Sorry about the quality, I shot a video and took this shot from it.)
IMG20200615 OorKona Frunk 0016 Upload Underneath_Moment.jpg

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
836 Posts
Are you not worried about the safety implications of filling the cars crumple zone with things?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally here's a short vid showing the clear space underneath.
Are you not worried about the safety implications of filling the cars crumple zone with things?
Another pertinent question. This is all contained under the bonnet and it is secured using standard Hyundai parts made for the job. There is nothing particularly heavy or solid inside.

I'd be much more concerned about loose items on the back seat. For example today I bought some heavy items from a local garden centre. No room in the boot because that was full of 6 bags of compost. So they went on the floor in the back. But unsecured!

If I have a front-end shunt then the frunk is going to be the very least of my problems. If, hypothetically, the frunk was on top of the bonnet, that would be another matter and a clear risk. But instead it is inside the engine zone.

An increasing number of EVs now have frunks as standard, one even has a fridge to keep drinks cold! I wouldn't go that far. My guess is in 5 years all EVs will have frunks.

Of course, as was posted earlier, had Hyundai the sense to make these standard and charge say even £500 premium for them we would all go there. Let's hope Hyundai wakes up.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Of course, as was posted earlier, had Hyundai the sense to make these standard and charge say even £500 premium for them we would all go there. Let's hope Hyundai wakes up.
If that space is part of the pedestrian skull crumple zone they probably can't without affecting the EuroNCAP rating.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
If that space is part of the pedestrian skull crumple zone they probably can't without affecting the EuroNCAP rating.
Then how do other manufacturers incl tesla do it?

Or let me put it another way. Would anyone raise EuroNCAP if this was a small box? U
I mean if this was a box matchbox size would you be bothered. Looking at it another way I'd have more concerns if this affected the car's dynamics, eg changing tyres. They're proven to change seriously braking dynamics but people change them with alacrity.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Then how do other manufacturers incl tesla do it?
There may be space at the top of the frunk to allow for it - e.g. the hood could be double skinned with a gap between.. If a manufacturer designs something into a car then it's accounted for in testing. If an owner adds something it isn't.

Would anyone raise EuroNCAP
I imagine EuroNCAP would.

would you be bothered
Don't attack me. I'm just the messenger giving you a possible answer to your criticism of the manufacturer.
had Hyundai the sense

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There may be space at the top of the frunk to allow for it - e.g. the hood could be double skinned with a gap between.. If a manufacturer designs something into a car then it's accounted for in testing. If an owner adds something it isn't.

I imagine EuroNCAP would.

Don't attack me. I'm just the messenger giving you a possible answer to your criticism of the manufacturer.
It comes down to do I think I have modified the car. In my opinion I haven't. When I sell it it will be in its original condition.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It comes down to do I think I have modified the car. In my opinion I haven't. When I sell it it will be in its original condition.
ignoring how you reinstate the normal state come resale time: do you feel like you’ve modified it when you drive it now, with the frunk box?

My major concern, and why I think I will pass on this, is that I suspect an insurance company would
I would agree that the chances are extraordinarily low that anything would happen AND you wouldn’t be able to remove it....but it isn’t zero.....and the cost impact should that highly unlikely event occur could be cripplingly expensive (or worse!).
Why not contact your insurance company (and/or Hyundai) and ask?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Nice job, Andy, and thanks for sharing the photos! Nice to see what the 3-phase charger looks like too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Good discussion but as I do not need the space I would not want to take a chance that an injured pedestrian (or next of kin), would engage an ambulance chasing lawyer for compensation.

Brain damage or death could cost a lot of money and in the circumstances my insurance company may well try to invalidate the policy leaving me to pay any compensation awarded.

That said, I have to admit that I have been lucky to avoid this type of accident in 60 years of driving.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts