Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,115 Posts
At 99% it's not very likely plug heat was the cause. By that time the charge power is relatively low. Did it self-correct?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it now works again!

Error message gone and now charging from 99%.

As it’s a bank of chargers on a wall maybe another car or something in the electrical system at the building caused it. Someone else was using the second socket on the same charger as me (PHEV) when mine cut out.

Will monitor it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just happened again today :(

Both times were at 99% so something going on at the balancing stage I think.

Had an interrupt charge earlier today as well but when I opened the car it started charging again fine with no messages on the dash so that could have been the charge point related and unrelated to the BCI.

This time no one else used the other plug on the charge point.

Have contacted Renault CS.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Has it had the BMS update? There was an update for Zoes that took ages charging at 99% to 100%.

If it's already had that update then I'd be assuming there's a duff cell somewhere or it's got very out of balance for some reason.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,549 Posts
What age and model of Zoe is it? Early ones had some common issues with charging.
No they didn't. Not common issues, infrequent and most users have never seen it.

I've had the BCI message only couple of times in 4 1/2 years and 50k miles. Those times it was entirely down to the charge post, usually charging for a while then crapping out. Checking on CanZe showed earth issues.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not common issues
Sorry poor choice of words - I meant that the issues that do come up related to BCI in early Zoe's, are often the same ones. I don't mean that lots of Zoe's have issues, only that the issues that do crop up with some vehicles tend to be the same things.

Hope that makes some sense....

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BMS was done last year.

Good plan on CanZE :)

Have posted a request to the office guys to get ChargeMaster to check the charging point as well.

·
Speak, Eevee!
989 Posts
I've had a BCI twice. First time on an Ecotricity unit, was permanent. The gubbins that 'communicates' with the EVSE had to be replaced under warranty

Second time, same Ecotricity unit. Thankfully this time it was temporary, it just randomly BCId mid charge and stopped - I waited 30 seconds or so and was about to get out and unplug when it started charging again.

A coincidence I'm sure (the very good tech who repaired my broken Zoe confirmed it wouldn't have been caused by the unit) but I'm treating that particular unit as cursed in all honesty!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very strange events when charging today.

Had 5 charge interrupted messages so far - each time I open the door the car then starts to charge again. No error messages or BCI.

Happened every 20% increase increments in charge level, then 10% and now 5%.

Now at 99% with no time remaining shown after latest interruption.

Chargers are all fine - even swapped to a different charger and still getting the same.

Booked into Renault in 3 weeks times.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reply from Renault - needs a new PEC.

Strange this only come after the new charge port was installed.

Wonder if they ballsed up fitting the port and broke something.

Now to see how long the parts take to come in!

·
Speak, Eevee!
989 Posts
A few days to come in and a few days to fit generally. Hope you get sorted soon

·
Registered
928 Posts
Good luck with it @SiW. Which dealer are you using? Be interested to hear how the repair and general level of service is from them to help me decide which dealer to use!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good luck with it @SiW. Which dealer are you using? Be interested to hear how the repair and general level of service is from them to help me decide which dealer to use!
It’s Glyn Hopkins in St Albans.

Generally they are fine although you sometimes need to guide them on what the issues are.

Paul the service manager is nice enough and Cherie on service used to work at Renault customer service.

Need to book a courtesy car well in advance though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got to 99% charge then it crapped out :(

Cable and charge port do feel hot so will try again later.

Charge port only changed a few weeks ago!!

Any ideas?

Simon
Hi, why was the charge port changed? do they tend to wear and give trouble, i have a new 2019 Zoe.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,549 Posts
Hi, why was the charge port changed? do they tend to wear and give trouble, i have a new 2019 Zoe.

Inner charge flap can snap if your hamfisted. Renault added a stiffer rib to the hing area to stop it breaking so easy with customers bending it back to far. Yours should be fine, just be sensible in use and it'll last a lifetime.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Inner charge flap can snap if your hamfisted. Renault added a stiffer rib to the hing area to stop it breaking so easy with customers bending it back to far. Yours should be fine, just be sensible in use and it'll last a lifetime.
Its worth applying a drop of silicone lub at the hinge pin too. I've done the three Zoe's we've had and never any bother with them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
9 Participants
Cloud
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing