Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a very lucky girl to get an early Christmas gift of an Outlander PHEV 4Gh to drive which was delivered yesterday! (Thanks Fleet EV for getting it delivered).

So it arrived yesterday afternoon in the pouring rain in all its shiny white glory like a modern chariot through the greyness. I was super excited to give it a drive but having it driven down for delivery meant it arrived with nearly ZERO charge in the battery and near EMPTY petrol in the tank! Now the fun and games began.

I live in a mid terrace row of cottages right on the roadside with no driveway and no access to the back garden. I am fortunate enough to be allowed to park off road about 40 yards down the road from where I live. So in preparation I decided to buy a 45m extension cable and rubber cable cover to protect it on the neighbours gated driveway so I could charge it from my home using Good Energy 100% Renewable generated electricity. I was relieved that the cable reached and that the rubber ramp worked as the neighbours daughter just drove out as I managed to wrestle the coiled rubber cable seal ramp to the ground with the cable encased just in time! OK so not the ideal solution but it worked and it happily gained almost a third of the batter charge in just over an hour.

Then in the rain it was a bit of a battle to recoil the cable and drag the rather smelly recycled rubber cable protector ramp back into the house before heading off to a local rehearsal and Green community social meeting.

All was fine - remembered to select the re-gen breaking before heading off. Made it to fist destination but the vehicle showed a warning light to highlight that the petrol was at almost on E. So on the way from the rehearsal to to the next social I stopped to put some fuel into the tank - required a bit of logistics as I pulled up with the charging side facing the pump and then took me several minutes to local the release switch for the cap! Warning light now gone I felt a bit guilty for pouring the old fossil fuels into the vehicle to keep it quiet. Anyway I was still running on the battery and made it home without using any fossil fuels so felt really good.

Having managed to charge the PHEV in a slight health robinson way the night before seemed to have triggered some concern from the neighbour due to a live electrical cable crossing the front of his property and worried it would draw attention to some local "opportunists" or cause a trip hazard to himself or passers by and "who would be sued?". "Sigh" However he was very kind in thinking about how a cable could be run from his out buildings to my parking area and putting a meter to monitor my usage to pay for the energy i'd draw to charge the Outlander. Ideas of an extension cord in a locked box so I would only be able to access it was also promoted. My main worry was that his energy was supplied by EDF who I really don't want to support and tried to persuade him to switch to a green energy tariff like Good Energy. I kindly thanked him for his kind offer and said I would think about it.

Next option to ask the landowner of the parking area if I could run a cable from his workshop in the yard. Turns out also supplied by EDF on a business rate, they had forced him to have an energy monitor for £30 a month to monitor energy usage - on a building he rarely ever uses! I asked if I could take on the contract and change the supplier and he said no. :confused: Booo to EDF.

So final and best option to head down to Thorney Lakes a Zero Carbon World ZeroNet location and ask if I could charge it there. "Yes, help yourself" came the reply :) and there it is now happily charging away at the Green Eco friendly Campsite around the corner. And so it should now be charged so i'm off to go and get it. Thanks Zero Carbon World and Thorney Lakes my charging stress and dilemma was alleviated.

Tomorrow I head for Cirencester and using the rapid chargers on the motorway along my journey - I hope I can do the majority of my travel on renewable energy generated public access charging stations....wish me EV luck! ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hurrah!! First successful full charge completed today thanks to local Zero Carbon World's ZeroNet location at the wonderful eco friendly Thorney Lakes' Charging Station powered by renewables! What a relief I feel! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Woohoo! Congrats!!
Do tell us how you get on with it? Whats your fuel consumption so far?
Does your engine starts in the cold morning even with fully charged battery?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Woohoo! Congrats!!
Do tell us how you get on with it? Whats your fuel consumption so far?
Does your engine starts in the cold morning even with fully charged battery?
Thank you! Will do. Well I've only driven it a couple of times so far - but have a longer journey tomorrow so monitor the consumption! So far no early cold starts though was pretty cold last night and it was fine however it was about 7 degrees so perhaps not cold enough to affect the battery!

·
Registered
161 Posts
You might want to watch where you park it in cirencester or you may not find it again outlanders everywhere here. Also mitsubishi HQ have a rapid but I'm not sure if it's public access.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might want to watch where you park it in cirencester or you may not find it again outlanders everywhere here. Also mitsubishi HQ have a rapid but I'm not sure if it's public access.
Lol no kidding! I think I saw around 10 Outlander PHEVs yesterday on my journey and 8 of them were around Cirencester! :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Soooo first big journey in the Outlander PHEV yesterday:

Left home with about 80% Charge and half a tank - 16ltrs £20 of petrol.

First half of the journey to Cirencenster along the M5 - 3x DC charges at service stations on the way up - favourite was at the Gloucester Services the most wonderful eco friendly service station i've ever been - not only did it have 2x Ecotricity charging stations (all the services visited on the M5 have two options both with CHADeMO plus Type 2 and now an additional CSS!), a community social enterprise Eco Carwash using minimal water and reusable e-cloths, plus all locally sourced food - awesome shop and farm shop and canteen of top quality local food and deli!! Totally eco amazing! Sorry its lunch time so I digress!

Luckily all Charging Stations along the motorway were functional and accessible. That that it would have stopped my journeyh being in a hybrid but I wouldn't have been able to charge as often. Between services I had used up all the battery power except between the last two.
First stop gained 20 miles Charge as rapid charging is only up to 80% and I was the only EV charging - met a few people who were very interested including a man in a ferrari cap and jacket who said all cars should be EVs! :)

Second and third Charging Stations gave me 22 miles range on electric (and both rather excitingly had other Outlander PHEVs charging at one of the two Charging Stations) - however on all occasions as soon as I pulled out of the services the range radically reduced to about 16 miles. I had no heater on (lots of layers to save on using power for heating) and was driving in Eco-mode with re-gen breaking at level 5. Hmmm.

Overview:
I started with AVG 80.9 mpg

Arrived at Cirencester destination with 8 miles remaining having driven 99.8 miles AVG 70 mpg 69% on pure EV mode.

Left Cirencester no charge and running late so the driving style was rather more hurried. So drove it pretty hard to Frome with about 20 min charge on 13a (hardly noticeable!) Then drove it hard to South Somerset nr Langport. Felt guilty for having run out of EV except for the odd mile on recharge. Battery Level showed almost totally empty, then also the fuel tank reading had one bar left of range said about 33 miles. So I kept going as was super late and had about 15miles max to go! Then suddenly at around 25-30 miles range left, the range value went blank and the final fuel bar dissapeared! Refuel warning came on so I guestimated it would make it to my destination and I would refuel and recharge then. I really had no idea if it would make it but it did! Phew!!

Final readings after todays journeys:
Total route door to door 196 miles
59% in EV mode
total AVG mpg for a large heavy 4x4 on motorway and windy up and down country driving =.....53.3 mpg
All EV Charging was free and emission free thanks to Zero Carbon World and Ecotricity Charging Stations and the whole journey only used 16 ltrs petrol costing £20! No other SUV or 4x4 could possibly come anywhere near that!! Not even my ICE Golf I used to drive so I'm really impressed!

And so must the huge number of Outlander PHEV drivers be out there! Met two other Outlander PHEV drivers at charging locations who seemed thoroughly chuffed though they did recognise that long regular motorway driving isn't where you will make the most of the vehicle but local regular journeys of less than 30 miles is where it is an extraordinary PHEV especially for a vehicle of that size and ability.

And in total during the journey I think I counted 10 Outlander PHEVs!! And one Leaf. Amazing! :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just collected Outlander PHEV from Zero Carbon World Charging Station at the wonderful Eco friendly Caravan and Campsite 5 mins walk down the road from home. Using a Type 2 - Type 1 charging cable to connect the Outlander PHEV to the 32a Type 2 ZCW Charging Station, it took over 4 hours to fully charge! - could this be because I rapid charged it 3 times yesterday and I used all the battery power down to one bar? I was surprised that it took over 4 hrs and not 3.5hrs as promoted.

Anyway it's now Charged to an EV range of 31 miles!
:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cara,
a few tips:-
Don't just select B5 (Regen) and leave it there - makes for a very jerky ride - and drivers behind you don't get to see brake lights until you put your foot on the Brake pedal... D has the equivalent of B2, Use the regen paddles to control your speed on down hill roads...
Dont select CHARGE mode unless you are low on battery and expecting to have to drive through very hilly roads in a few miles - Charge Mode USES PETROL so will reduce your total MPG figure.
The PHEV is a HYBRID - it is supposed to use some petrol even on medium distance journeys - I have now done over 6K miles and my average MPG is 52.... and I do a regular 250mile motorway journey every week...

Have fun with the PHEV!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wow, that's a lot of en route charging. How often did you stop ?
At every service station with EV Charging! :) Most enjoyed the Gloucester Eco Services! Next time think I will miss out Michael Woods Services as would have had enough charge to get to Gloucester which has an amazing eco local food canteen to sit and have a lovely lunch at and could have had an eco car wash too! :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cara,
a few tips:-
Don't just select B5 (Regen) and leave it there - makes for a very jerky ride - and drivers behind you don't get to see brake lights until you put your foot on the Brake pedal... D has the equivalent of B2, Use the regen paddles to control your speed on down hill roads...
Dont select CHARGE mode unless you are low on battery and expecting to have to drive through very hilly roads in a few miles - Charge Mode USES PETROL so will reduce your total MPG figure.
The PHEV is a HYBRID - it is supposed to use some petrol even on medium distance journeys - I have now doneover 6K miles and my average MPG is 52.... and I do a regular 250mile motorway journey every week...

Have fun with the PHEV!
Thanks so much for the tip - have been trying out the paddle select for the regen braking rather than leaving it in B5. Does seem rather a hazard that the brake lights don't come on when using the regen braking system!
No don't worry i'm keeping well away from the CHARGE mode button so far!
Its really fun playing with driving styles to keep it driving in electric only mode as much as possible.
I wish the running info was all on one page though as I keep scrolling though to see MPG, whether its driving on electric or being recharged by the engine or direct drive from the engine and what percentage of EV driving i'm doing! Its a bit distracting!
Wow!!! That's awesome to get AVG 52 mpg with a 250 mile motorway journey each week! I didn't see you at one of the M5 service station charging stations last week did I? ;)
I'm trying to work out the cost in electricity to fully charge it - do you know? Also have only managed to get a Maximum 31 mile range after a full charge - have you ever got near the 32.5 range? o_O
Thank you I am having fun! And it was really awesome to arrive at friends house at the weekend who happened to have two outside sockets to plug into to charge while I visited and gave them a ride - they were most impressed :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
No wasn't me - I am on the East side of the country, Sussex > Suffolk, M23,M25,M11 usually - although the only Service area to have a Rapid charger is clacket Lane so far.... there are signs of 2 going in at the services by Stanstead on the M11 - but not completed yet....
I charge mine and a full charge usually consumes approx 10KwH - EDF rate is 14.4ppKwh so about £1.44...
My calculated cost per mile on petrol is 14ppm and 5.5ppm on pure EV - average mixed over 6.5k miles is around 12ppm.
I have seen 34 EV miles a couple of times but its not an achievable figure unless you have "Ideal" conditions - i.e. Day time, 20C, no head wind, dry roads, flat roads, no traffic, no stop start junctions, all AC off and a constant speed around 35-40 MPH.
best actual was 28 and usually around sussex I get 25 on a charge.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Deffo need more Charging Stations out in the wild! And good that more and more are coming on line or being planned soon.
Many thanks for the info - most interesting.
My energy monitor reads a consumption of 1.77kWh but I am charging using a domestic plug so I would guess that a full charge using Good Energy would be 8.85kWhrsx16.86p = £1.49 or at night will be 8.85kWhrsx8.11p = 72p
Is my maths right?

I'm having difficulty connecting the App with the car. I've turned it on to Acc - so not fully on where the Start button is Orange, then pressed the lock and unlock button as directed ten times and waited for a beep noise - but no beep comes and the phone doesn't pick up the car's wifi - can anyone help me please? It would be super cool to be able to set the PHEV to charge at night on off-peek energy, plus the other cool things you can do remotely using the app!
:D

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi Cara. The most common reason I've heard for the app not working correctly is that the whole process needs to be done quite quickly - can't remember offhand how many seconds but a few people who originally said it wasn't working were successful when they did it again more quickly! But I got the dealer to do mine when I picked the car up :rolleyes:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Cara. The most common reason I've heard for the app not working correctly is that the whole process needs to be done quite quickly - can't remember offhand how many seconds but a few people who originally said it wasn't working were successful when they did it again more quickly! But I got the dealer to do mine when I picked the car up :rolleyes:
Thanks I have tried it a few times and then gave up! Maybe Friday afternoon isn't the best time to try and do it! I'll give it another go after a large strong coffee!! ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks I have tried it a few times and then gave up! Maybe Friday afternoon isn't the best time to try and do it! I'll give it another go after a large strong coffee!! ;)
3 things to remember to get the iPhone ( or Andriod app ) connected...
FIND the card that came in the cars handbook folder with the WiFi SSID and password on it...
Look in your iPhone, Settings, Wifi list and select the Cars SSID - usually starts "REMOTExxxxx" and when your phone asks for the Password to join enter it - the phone MUST be logged on to the cars wifi network before you try to register the app. ( this is NOT the same as linking the phone with Bluetooth - thats only for calls and audio )...
Sit INSIDE the car with the door closed, turn on car ( do NOT press the brake ) > ACC
You must perform the 10 lock/unlock presses WITHIN ten seconds of turning the car on - you will then get the registration bleep - follow the instructions on the iPhone app to complete the registration...

Once linked it does not forget or loose the registration - despite what others have posted - the only thing you may see on a phone is that the Cars WiFi SSID may not be listed - do not panic and try to re-register or delete anything...
TURN your phones WiFi function OFF ( or put the phone in "Aircraft" mode and then back to normal ) - be within 10Mr of the car when you do this - Home WiFi access points are about twice as powerful as the cars AP and will swamp it....
Best of luck - the App is very early version and a bit clunky - but it does work....if you change things on the timer screens just remember to hit the SEND button otherwise nothing will change in the car....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
3 things to remember to get the iPhone ( or Andriod app ) connected...
FIND the card that came in the cars handbook folder with the WiFi SSID and password on it...
Look in your iPhone, Settings, Wifi list and select the Cars SSID - usually starts "REMOTExxxxx" and when your phone asks for the Password to join enter it - the phone MUST be logged on to the cars wifi network before you try to register the app. ( this is NOT the same as linking the phone with Bluetooth - thats only for calls and audio )...
Sit INSIDE the car with the door closed, turn on car ( do NOT press the brake ) > ACC
You must perform the 10 lock/unlock presses WITHIN ten seconds of turning the car on - you will then get the registration bleep - follow the instructions on the iPhone app to complete the registration...

Once linked it does not forget or loose the registration - despite what others have posted - the only thing you may see on a phone is that the Cars WiFi SSID may not be listed - do not panic and try to re-register or delete anything...
TURN your phones WiFi function OFF ( or put the phone in "Aircraft" mode and then back to normal ) - be within 10Mr of the car when you do this - Home WiFi access points are about twice as powerful as the cars AP and will swamp it....
Best of luck - the App is very early version and a bit clunky - but it does work....if you change things on the timer screens just remember to hit the SEND button otherwise nothing will change in the car....
Wow thank you that is most helpful! What does the Card with the Wifi SSID and password on it look like? Not sure i've managed to locate it! :confused:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts