Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I did 203 miles in my 2013 Gen 2 Leaf. It's the first trip I've done where I had to charge away from home. It was a nice day for it. 24C and very light winds, but nonetheless it had its "moments" as anyone who does this regularly can attest!

I leaf home at 100%, 90 miles indicated range, travelled 25 miles to work, then another 54 miles to services for a rapid charge. As I usually use the car for a 50 mile round trip the "low battery" warning took me by surprise! I arrived on 16%; OK but little contingency in case of charger issues. I got 5.5 miles/kWh.

Next leg was to my destination and back to the same charger, only 56 miles and I could have gone farther to the next charger. Battery temp rose to 7 bars.

Finally 68 miles home, and here I learned something as I arrived with "---" showing and about 6%. I had not really allowed for the rapids not charging to 100%. When I start with say 85% charge and want to arrive with some contingency, say 15%, I actually only have 70 miles, and then in ideal conditions.

Apart from a beaten up Astra iceing up a charger, all the Rapid chargers I saw were empty - and I only spotted one other Leaf all day.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sounds like an adventure. I have a similar age 24kWh gen 2 Leaf and generally don't plan on more that about 70 miles from 100% or 55 to 60 miles between rapid chargers. Always have a "plan B" & the charge to get you there. A friend has the 30kWh and can sensibly plan 80 to 90 miles between rapids,110 miles tops - makes a big difference, if it doesn't overheat! The next Gen Leaf with 50kWh or so should be worth waiting for, though my 24kWh is OK for 95% of my journeys.

·
Registered
848 Posts
two weeks ago i did 277 miles in my Gen 1 Leaf :) no drama's just a nice drive (y)

Reactions: Simon Forrest

·
Registered
24 Posts
I picked up my 2nd hand 64 reg 24kwh Leaf from Durham the other day and drove it back to Manchester (approx 138 miles). I stopped off at Nissan Lookers in Leeds for a free charge which was approx 83 miles from Durham. Considering this was my first trip in a Leaf and I was a little anxious beforehand, I was well impressed with the smooth and eventless journey (apart from ending up in the rush hour traffic in Leeds :()!

·
Registered
Kona SE
965 Posts
Sounds like a good distance to try your first "away" trip and you experienced all the usual things. You can now plan how to get around them for even longer trips. My biggest issue is battery temperature in the Leaf. This is something that you can only trade off against speed. Keeping recharges to less than 70% and speeds below 60mph to stretch the miles you can achieve on a charge will keep you going without getting into the red. Reduce the distance (and therefore the number of times to recharge) by driving directly as opposed to the "faster" motorway route.

Best recent example was Beaconsfield to Brighton. Fastest route (motorway) would have needed a further charge. Direct (ECO) route avoided this and taking out the time for charging and risk of iceing, queuing (inc on M25), or broken chargers it was an easy choice. It also made sense as I was on my last temperature bar before the red so I may have needed to wait for the battery to cool if I needed a further rapid charge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts